Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E05) -- "Blood is Blood" -- 10/22/14

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E05) -- "Blood is Blood" -- 10/22/14

THE GAME GETS COMPLICATED WHEN A SURPRISING TRIBE SWAP STRANDS ONE CASTAWAY WITH THREE PAIRS OF LOVED ONES, ON "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, OCT. 22

"Blood Is Blood" - After a surprising tribe swap, the game gets complicated when one castaway is stranded on a tribe with three pairs of loved ones. Meanwhile, the other tribe is forced to negotiate for their next meal as a result of mismanaged portion control, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Oct. 22 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT)
on the CBS Television Network.

CASTAWAYS:

COYOPA TRIBE HUNAHPU TRIBE RELATIONSHIP

Nadiya Anderson (Eliminated 9/24)
Natalie Anderson Twins

Alec Christy Drew Christy (Eliminated 10/15)
Brothers

Val Collins (Eliminated 10/1)
Jeremy Collins Married

Josh Canfield Reed Kelly Dating

Jaclyn Schultz Jon Misch College Sweethearts

John Rocker (Eliminated 10/8)
Julie McGee Dating

Wes Nale Keith Nale Father and Son

Baylor Wilson Missy Payne Mother and Daughter

Dale Wentworth Kelley Wentworth Father and Daughter

Read more: Listings - SURVIVOR on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3GuyWbZIC

Old 10-22-14, 10:44 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Re: Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E05) -- "Blood is Blood" -- 10/22/14

I'm waiting for this season to wake up... it's pretty tired right now, even with the swap.

Can't believe that Hunahpu is ballsy enough to keep approaching Jeff for a "chat"... what a bunch of pansies.
Old 10-22-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please tell me Jeff isn't going to actually give the tribe more rice. Is this Survivor or Barter Kings? Today a bag of rice... a couple of trades later and they'll have a two story condo!

They basically gain an advantage by eating more and then potentially turn the advantage into getting more rice? I get that the tribes were switched up but deal with it. At a minimum they should be asked to vote some off for it. But Jeff shouldn't be altering the game on the fly like that - just too much opportunity to manipulate things (even if that doesn't happen).
Old 10-22-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember a time when people were forced to eat rats on this show.
Old 10-22-14, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
Please tell me Jeff isn't going to actually give the tribe more rice. Is this Survivor or Barter Kings? Today a bag of rice... a couple of trades later and they'll have a two story condo!

They basically gain an advantage by eating more and then potentially turn the advantage into getting more rice? I get that the tribes were switched up but deal with it. At a minimum they should be asked to vote some off for it. But Jeff shouldn't be altering the game on the fly like that - just too much opportunity to manipulate things (even if that doesn't happen).
Though I've heard that it's been a regular practice in the past for the producers to just give out rice when a tribe is starving (even if it's because of their own incompetence). They've just never shown that because ... well, because it would come across as stupid as wirefan is finding it.

Jeff better at least make them pay next week. It would be harsh, but appropriate, if the price was the tribe had to vote one of their own members out on the spot for food. Or at least give the other tribe a sizable advantage in the next immunity challenge.
Old 10-23-14, 12:03 AM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I have never understood why people just didn't eat more then they are rationed for the first few weeks. The Producers are not gonna let you starve and since most seasons have a shuffle there is a 50/50 shot you will just be eating someone elses future rice any way.
Old 10-23-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Jeff better at least make them pay next week. It would be harsh, but appropriate, if the price was the tribe had to vote one of their own members out on the spot for food.
This. They should be given the option to go to TC and vote somebody out in exchange for food.
Old 10-23-14, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

This is the worst season in a long time.
Old 10-23-14, 08:39 AM
Banned

I agree with all of the comments above (except it being the worst season...the "Let's Bring Rob Back for the ___th Time Until He Wins" seasons were worse for me just on principle), and I'm sure that many Survivor fans had the same discussions during & after last night's episode. I'm equally sure that Probst would not only not feel the need to defend the producers' moves but would (will) actually tout this nonsense as being 'great drama'.

It's one thing to try to justify changing up things over the past as being attempts to "keep things fresh"...the changing theme shows, returning vets, Exile island, the second-chance competitions, etc. But when the producers shamelessly keep manipulating the outcomes in order to try to manufacture results (such as keeping competitions even), eventually it's going to bite them in the butt. Thus we see what happens when they reshuffle the "tribes" (LOL) after only a few weeks and end up with the oldsters all on one tribe...and then Jeff has the gall to say "And CheeWapu (or whatever) STILL is losing" as though random reshuffling would just naturally guarantee evening up the challenge abilities.

And allowing one group to consume most of their food...which, as was pointed out, may have greatly enhanced their challenge performances...and then rewarding some of them by putting them with the group who rationed food while placing those who tried to make food last with the group nearly out of food...makes the show NOT about "outwitting, outplaying, outlasting" but instead a game of chance. Poor Kelly's exit is on the producers' heads, not her own.

Bringing food to the needy group sends a lot of confusing messages. Eat up your food supply? No worries...the producers will bail you out (although, it's been pointed out that this is nothing new). Do the right thing & ration? Stupid you...the producers might decide to 're-shuffle' and you'll end up without anything to eat (or will have to pay a "steep penalty" for something you had absolutely nothing to do with). Besides, what penalty (that wouldn't be totally unfair) could in any way approximate the "penalty" of going hungry?

My wife mentioned the voting off one person immediately thing, but that wouldn't be fair to the new arrivals who had nothing to do with the situation...even if the vote were unanimous to accept that offer. If they're not going to let group dynamics (and consequences) play out in some semblance of a fair opportunity for all (knowing that the merge will shake up things again anyway), then why not just draw for 'tribes' every week to make nobody safe and keep everyone on their toes?
Old 10-23-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm enjoying the season, but this food situation is a mess. It was just too early in the game to suddenly shuffle up the tribes again.

It's surprising to think that the show's producers weren't aware of the dwindling provisions at the one camp. Or perhaps they were, and created the drama.
Old 10-23-14, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I'm enjoying the season, but this food situation is a mess. It was just too early in the game to suddenly shuffle up the tribes again.

It's surprising to think that the show's producers weren't aware of the dwindling provisions at the one camp. Or perhaps they were, and created the drama.
They should have just released a tame pig or chicken like they did in past seasons.
Old 10-23-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
They should have just released a tame pig or chicken like they did in past seasons.
They sent a flock of vultures. It's not their fault the players didn't take advantage of it.
Old 10-23-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll say this... for a group of "starving survivors", there is nobody on either team that looks to be too sickly or losing any weight. Nadyia or whatever her name is, appears to have gained weight!
Old 10-23-14, 10:02 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff should make them do a 'eat disgusting things' challenge to earn more rice. "If you're all as hungry as you say, this is the time to prove it." Have the rice broken into shares... if everyone completes the challenge they get the whole bag of rice. If only half complete it, they get half the bag.
Old 10-23-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

They should just give them less rice at the start of the season and then replace both teams rice with the same amount after the tribe swap so its not an issue.
Old 10-23-14, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
I have never understood why people just didn't eat more then they are rationed for the first few weeks. The Producers are not gonna let you starve and since most seasons have a shuffle there is a 50/50 shot you will just be eating someone elses future rice any way.
I said the same thing as I watching it.

You can gain an advantage in the early challenges from eating more, and also have a safety net, as the producers and medical aren't going to let anyone die of starvation out there. There would be a rough period before someone stepped in, but eventually they would.
Old 10-23-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there any eye candy left this season?
Old 10-23-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ I think all of them are pretty nice except for Baylor's mom
Old 10-23-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Though I've heard that it's been a regular practice in the past for the producers to just give out rice when a tribe is starving (even if it's because of their own incompetence). They've just never shown that because ... well, because it would come across as stupid as wirefan is finding it.
Yeah, and with the flint a couple of episodes ago I've heard a couple of past survivors say after you've earned fire the first time all you have to do is just ask for a flint when you go to tribal.
Old 10-23-14, 02:17 PM

Have any of them even tried to fish or forage? What a bunch of babies. I love how they say they are "bargaining" with Jeff for more rice. That implies they have something to offer that he wants. They don't. What they are doing is actually "begging" - asking someone to give you something in exchange for something else that they neither need nor want because they take pity on you. It's no different than a homeless person offering to sing you a song or wash your already-clean windshield if you give him $5.
Old 10-23-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
I don't get this either...once in a season was okay, since it was kind of new to see on SURVIVOR...but what is this, the THIRD time they've asked for a deal? You know what the deal SHOULD have been? Give up your immunity. Now that would have been appropriate.
Old 10-23-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

They're not going to make them vote out someone in exchange for rice. They are already short two players that were originally supposed to be there, plus they have to account for someone possibly quitting or being medically evacuated. Might be possible if that vote out were to take the place of the normal end of the episode vote out.
Old 10-23-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Is there any eye candy left this season?
Rocker's GF has a rockin' body.
Old 10-23-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Some seasons simply don't work that well, this appears to be one of them.
Old 10-23-14, 02:48 PM

Another solution to the fairness aspect of sending a player home in exchange for food: Draw rocks to see who goes home. Otherwise you have the chance where "Ensign Expendable" goes home and a majority alliance kills two birds with one stone - more food and one less person to consume it.

If the situation really is as dire as they say, then they agree to it. My guess is if it was just left to random chance, a large part of the tribe would suddenly be feeling a whole lot better. Or perhaps be more motivated to, I don't know, forage for food? Sure it introduces randomness into the game, but they already do that with these switch-ups.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.