Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Homeland (S4E03) -- "Shalwar Kameez" -- 10/12/14

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Homeland (S4E03) -- "Shalwar Kameez" -- 10/12/14

Carrie recruits a key asset; Quinn locates a potential lead.

Episode 3 of 12

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" scrolling="no" src="http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid3671166871001/?bctid=3815954818001&autoStart=false"></iframe>
Old 10-12-14, 08:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Homeland (S4E03) -- "Shalwar Kameez" -- 10/12/14

Fara

@ Quinn being the first to spot the ear piece on his laptop for a video that had 340,000 views.

No family nonsense this week
Old 10-12-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show has jumped the shark, it's so unrealistic now. Youtube doesn't buffer that fast.
Old 10-12-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So the accounting chick is now NOC field agent in pakistan.
Old 10-12-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I have to give Homeland credit for unflinchingly writing such a horrible person as Carrie.

Enjoyed the episode though.
Old 10-12-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

Can't believe Dave Grohl was behind Sandy's murder. Must be working for HBO now.

Peter Quinn is an awesome guy and petty good looking too. You'd think he'd be able to find some other girl to date somewhere on the planet besides a fat landlady or crazy Carrie in Pakistan.

BTW : Somehow they made the new opening credits even worse and more annoying than the old opening.

Last edited by Decker; 10-13-14 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Fara looked really good.

Thought they wasted too much time with Quinn and Fatty McCellulite. Agree with Decker. The guy could walk into any bar and pick up any hottie of his choosing. Why write this bizarre subplot? Now he may be secretly in love with bat shit crazy Carrie?

Quinn figuring out a possible mastermind behind the mob attack via the YouTube video was an interesting development. Now that he's hopefully finished banging McFatty, hopefully the plot moves foreward with him being a badass.
Old 10-13-14, 09:40 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I have to give Homeland credit for unflinchingly writing such a horrible person as Carrie.
Yup. She becomes more despicable to me every episode, exponentially.
And I don't like what they've done with Quinn, whom I used to really like.
Hoping the show picks up soon.
Old 10-13-14, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Fara looked really good.
Fara in Langley, VA :

Fara in Islamabad, Pakistan :

Somehow, she doesn't seem to know what's appropriate attire for her location.
Old 10-13-14, 11:09 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 10-13-14, 01:49 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

even if they revealed Fara to be an undercover superspy with mutant powers, i'd still support it if it meant more Fara screentime
Old 10-13-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Fara looked really good.
She really is gorgeous.
Some people might remember her as Norah on How I Met Your Mother.

I hate this stupid Quinn having feelings for Carrie. I thought we wouldn't have to deal with this kind of nonsense after Brodie was hung. Can any show just deal with the main plot without having to shove a stupid romantic storyline in?
Old 10-13-14, 04:26 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
She really is gorgeous.
Some people might remember her as Norah on How I Met Your Mother.

I hate this stupid Quinn having feelings for Carrie. I thought we wouldn't have to deal with this kind of nonsense after Brodie was hung. Can any show just deal with the main plot without having to shove a stupid romantic storyline in?
I think some of the creators and Claire Danes herself thought much of the popularity of the show was due to the "romance" between Carrie and Brody which I think is laughably misguided, so not surprised they shoehorn a romance in for her.

Oh, and she would be one of the easiest persons on the planet to say "no" to.
Old 10-13-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Weird seeing that spelling of Fara. My sister's name is Farah. That's the Persian/Farsi way of spelling it - at least in English.

As for location, you only saw her in an office, not in public (even Carrie covered her hair in public). They are not covered up 24x7 including indoors, you know.

Not crazy about Quinn pining over Carrie, but I'm enjoying the story so far.
Old 10-13-14, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
As for location, you only saw her in an office, not in public (even Carrie covered her hair in public). They are not covered up 24x7 including indoors, you know.
She's in a government office in the top picture, she's in a classroom in the bottom, but also dressed like that in her secret government office as well. If there's some subtle distinction between the two that explains the difference in attire, I'm missing it.
Old 10-13-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

A gov't "office," as in CIA-Langley where thousands of people work. Well, okay.
Old 10-13-14, 09:37 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I might not be remembering this correctly but that was pretty fcked up Carrie criticizing those security guys for losing track of sandy and letting him go off on his, putting him in danger. And then a few minutes later -- "you guys stay in the car", "Its cool I'm just going to that corner", "park here and chill while I go in this building for an hour by myself"
Old 10-13-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Why am I not surprised that this thread has devolved into a slobberfest over Fara

This is a solid, entertaining show, but I have to agree that Carrie is about as unlikable a character as you could have as a lead. What a lying, manipulative bitch she is.

The Quinn subplot with his fat landlord is just odd.

Despite the negatives, I still look forward to the show each week. Needs more Saul (as long as his whiny wife isn't in the scene).
Old 10-14-14, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree with everyone that the show is a shell of what it was in Season 1, but its still enjoyable and I look forward to it every week. It was obvious that they were going to have to get Saul and Quinn somehow overseas to accompany Carrie, but I am not going to fret about it.

Its still better then most of the crap on TV, and the only way I would have bailed on this show is if they kept Brody alive. Its a fresh start, and I'm not going to bitch every week in this show's thread about how the show isn't what it used to be.

Edit: Anyone notice Danny Noonan from Caddyshack was the one arguing with Carrie at the Embassy? For anyone Caddyshack fans, you'll appreciate this joke: I was waiting for Carrie to say, "Nooooonan!"

Last edited by mcnabb; 10-14-14 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-14-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
This is a solid, entertaining show, but I have to agree that Carrie is about as unlikable a character as you could have as a lead. What a lying, manipulative bitch she is.
That's one of the things that draws me to the show, though. See, we're having this discussion about Carrie in the context of good and bad behavior. But she's a field agent of the CIA assigned to some of the most sensitive places we have active operations. Exactly how do we expect these people to act?

If you live and speak lies on a regular basis, how can it not encroach into how you handle your persona life? Also, these folks need to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible or lives may be at stake. They don't have time to discuss the fine points of philosophy. They learn to say what will get them from point A to point B the fastest, which is often something less than the unvarnished truth.

And yet, they're not evil tyrants. They're trying to uphold some core values even if they aren't personally living them. They inherently believe America is a country worth protecting, even if it costs them their lives. Most (specifically Carrie) are not just doing it for the money or power.

It's a realistic (and on-going) conflagration between our stated values and our necessary values. Even "A Few Good Men" covered the concept, though somewhat antiseptically compared to Homeland as that was a pre-9/11 movie. The Shield asked us to consider if we care if a group of rogue cops steal from criminals if they're also first in the line of fire when criminals threaten civilians. I find it all fascinating to watch play out.

The Quinn subplot with his fat landlord is just odd.
It amuses me because it flies in the face of convention. It isn't always about finding the hottest person you can. Sometimes, it's about finding the person you can connect with (and feel comfortable with) in your current situation. I see all kinds of reasons that relationship makes sense given where Quinn is.
Old 10-14-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
That's one of the things that draws me to the show, though. See, we're having this discussion about Carrie in the context of good and bad behavior. But she's a field agent of the CIA assigned to some of the most sensitive places we have active operations. Exactly how do we expect these people to act?

I agree 100%. Whether you like Carrie's character or not, the bottom line is she is always TRYING to do the right thing. Her methods are maddening sometimes, and she is definetly not a person who takes order's from her superior well, but she is trying to do whats right to protect Americans. I constantly ask myself, "Would I do what she is doing? Would I goto the lenghts she does sometimes, where it may not be unethical?"

Originally Posted by MikahC
It amuses me because it flies in the face of convention. It isn't always about finding the hottest person you can. Sometimes, it's about finding the person you can connect with (and feel comfortable with) in your current situation. I see all kinds of reasons that relationship makes sense given where Quinn is.
I am guilty of wanting him to hook up with a hot girl, just because that's what they do on TV, and I am wrong for thinking that way.

I see couples all of the time in real life and you say to yourself, "Why is she with him? Or why is he with her?" The problem is 95% of the actors on TV are very good looking people, and we are trained to expect that, and when they put a big fatso on there (again I am guilty of it), we don't find it realistic.
Old 10-14-14, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the landlady a lot. She's actually a good person in a show full of a-holes. She's the only one thinking about what's best for Quinn. And she cleans up his apartment. Guys, you know that a girl cares about you when she cleans up your apartment. Thats the #1 sign. I dont think I ever saw Brody's wife even fluff a pillow.
Also, remember that Carrie is insane. Not figuratively. Literally. She's a crazy person. It's on record. Congressional record.

So I can see why Quinn is with the landlady.

D
Old 10-14-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Edit: Anyone notice Danny Noonan from Caddyshack was the one arguing with Carrie at the Embassy? For anyone Caddyshack fans, you'll appreciate this joke: I was waiting for Carrie to say, "Nooooonan!"
Yep, recognized him immediately. I think the last time I saw him in anything was on Rosanne.
Old 10-15-14, 09:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

this was a better ep than last weeks 2nd parter...

looks like quinn is getting ready to get his mojo back
Old 10-15-14, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by HN
I might not be remembering this correctly but that was pretty fcked up Carrie criticizing those security guys for losing track of sandy and letting him go off on his, putting him in danger. And then a few minutes later -- "you guys stay in the car", "Its cool I'm just going to that corner", "park here and chill while I go in this building for an hour by myself"
This, and the way she just shows up on day one, holds a 9am meeting, and tells Sandy's former staff he was probably a traitor days after he was brutally murdered in the street. Way to get them on your side, Carrie!

It's clear they're trying to write her as unlikable this season. The way she worked that kid in the bathroom and the rush she got from it. Carrie, you killed his whole family...

I'm enjoying the season well enough so far. Yeah it's all a little far fetched and it will never be as good as season 1, but the show is definitely entertaining. They do a good job with the locations too, very authentic. This is something the show Tyrant really failed at.

And yeah, Fara is freakin gorgeous. I think she was dressed that way because Carrie told her to seduce the kid, so she sexed it up a bit with the v neck blouse and long, flowing hair.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.