Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

‘Say Anything’ Follow-Up Series In The Works At NBC

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 08:07 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
‘Say Anything’ Follow-Up Series In The Works At NBC

Fire up the boomboxes. Say Anything…, one of the definitive Generation X movies, is being revisited as a series for Generation Ys. The single-camera comedy, from Aaron Kaplan’s Kapital Entertainment and 20th Century Fox TV, whose film studio sibling produced the 1989 Cameron Crowe movie, has received a script commitment plus penalty from NBC. Justin Adler (Better Off Ted) is writing the project, which is set a decade after the events in the movie, and will executive produce with Kaplan.

The 1989 comedy drama Say Anything marked Crowe’s directorial debut and solidified heartthrob John Cusack’s status as a leading man. The film chronicled the romance between average student Lloyd Dobler (Cusack) and valedictorian Diane Court (Ione Skye) during the summer after their high-school graduation. The Say Anything series picks up ten years later. Lloyd has long since been dumped by Diane and life hasn’t exactly turned out like he thought. But when Diane surprisingly returns home, Lloyd is inspired to “dare to be great” once again, get Diane back and reboot his life.

NBC brass have been bullish on single-camera romantic comedies following the success of About a Boy last season. The network has two such new entries this fall, A to Z and the upcoming Marry Me.

There is a sense of nostalgia among broadcast executives this season with several 1980s comedic movies getting series treatment. NBC also has Real Genius, based on the 1985 film starring Val Kilmer, as well as Problem Child, based on the film that came out in 1990. Fox is adapting the 1988 Tom Hanks blockbuster Big and is remaking cult 1981 sci-fi dramedy Greatest American Hero.

Kapital Entertainment has four series on the air: The Mysteries Of Laura on NBC as well as Instant Mom, Chasing Life and the upcoming Secrets and Lies. The company’s broadcast sales this season include two pilot commitment, one for drama Broad Squad, a period female cop procedural, at ABC, and a Dana Klein comedy at Fox. Kaplan also has a family comedy starring e Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo at ABC with a production commitment.

Adler is repped by UTA and Ken Richman.
Now they've gone too far...

Last edited by dex14; 10-06-14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 08:14 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: ‘Say Anything’ Follow-Up Series In The Works At NBC

I'd love a legit sequel. A middle aged Lloyd Dobler would be epic.
Old 10-07-14, 06:31 AM

As Deadline readers found out on Monday that NBC and 20th Century Fox TV were developing a comedy series followup to Cameron Crowe’s 1989 coming-of-age classic Say Anything starring John Cusack and Ione Skye, apparently so did Crowe. And he was not amused. I hear that Crowe had not been aware of 20th TV’s plans for a Say Anything series before my story ran Monday afternoon, shortly after NBC closed a deal for a script commitment plus penalty to the project. I hear Crowe had a very strong reaction to the announcement, and he took to Twitter to share his intent to kill the project late Monday night.

That mishap puts 20th TV and NBC in a difficult position — do they proceed with the Say Anything series, which they legally can, over the strong objection of the movie’s writer-director who wants the series dead? From what I hear, that appears unlikely.

20th TV identified Say Anything, produced by sibling 20th Century Fox, as a property they wanted to mine for a TV series earlier this season and brought in writer Justin Adler and producer Aaron Kaplan to develop the comedy as part of Adler’s blind script deal with the studio.

The 1989 movie, which marked Crowe’s directorial debut, chronicled the romance between average student Lloyd Dobler (Cusack) and valedictorian Diane Court (Skye) during the summer after their high-school graduation. Set in present day, the Say Anything series picks up ten years later. Lloyd has long since been dumped by Diane and life hasn’t exactly turned out like he thought. But when Diane surprisingly returns home, Lloyd is inspired to “dare to be great” once again, get Diane back and reboot his life.

Cusack also expressed his displeasure with the idea for a Say Anything series on Twitter. Asked whether he or Crowe were involved in the project, he responded, “Hell no !!”

Crowe has his own TV project in the works, comedy pilot Roadies at Showtime, which he wrote and is directing as well as executive producing alongside J.J. Abrams. Echoing one of Crowe’s signature movies, Almost Famous, Roadies follows the day-to-day life of a successful rock tour as seen through the eyes of the crew members.

Last season, Murder, She Wrote star Angela Lansbury spoke publicly against NBC’s plan to remake the classic series with a new character played by Octavia Spencer. While her comments had no direct impact on the network’s development process, the project ultimately didn’t go forward.

That mishap puts 20th TV and NBC in a difficult position — do they proceed with the Say Anything series, which they legally can, over the strong objection of the movie’s writer-director who wants the series dead? From what I hear, that appears unlikely.

20th TV identified Say Anything, produced by sibling 20th Century Fox, as a property they wanted to mine for a TV series earlier this season and brought in writer Justin Adler and producer Aaron Kaplan to develop the comedy as part of Adler’s blind script deal with the studio.

The 1989 movie, which marked Crowe’s directorial debut, chronicled the romance between average student Lloyd Dobler (Cusack) and valedictorian Diane Court (Skye) during the summer after their high-school graduation. Set in present day, the Say Anything series picks up ten years later. Lloyd has long since been dumped by Diane and life hasn’t exactly turned out like he thought. But when Diane surprisingly returns home, Lloyd is inspired to “dare to be great” once again, get Diane back and reboot his life.

Cusack also expressed his displeasure with the idea for a Say Anything series on Twitter. Asked whether he or Crowe were involved in the project, he responded, “Hell no !!”

Crowe has his own TV project in the works, comedy pilot Roadies at Showtime, which he wrote and is directing as well as executive producing alongside J.J. Abrams. Echoing one of Crowe’s signature movies, Almost Famous, Roadies follows the day-to-day life of a successful rock tour as seen through the eyes of the crew members.

Last season, Murder, She Wrote star Angela Lansbury spoke publicly against NBC’s plan to remake the classic series with a new character played by Octavia Spencer. While her comments had no direct impact on the network’s development process, the project ultimately didn’t go forward.
Old 10-07-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

So a Gross Pointe Blank series?
Old 10-07-14, 08:51 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So October Road again?
Old 10-07-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Sew buttons?
Old 10-07-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Now they've gone too far...
A little part of me just died reading about this. Before this I've never wished a concept doesn't make it to series.

Last edited by Kdogg; 10-07-14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-07-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who the hell would greenlight this? i mean seriously.... this is a good idea?? huh?
Old 10-07-14, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HKu78xJ6g1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-07-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://deadline.com/2014/10/say-anyt...-crowe-847516/

Just announced. Project is officially dead.

The writers hired backed out after Cameron Crowe voiced his displeasure. 20th TV pulled the plug after they backed out.
Old 10-07-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say nothing
I'm giving up on you
Old 10-07-14, 05:52 PM

Hail Cameron Crowe.
Old 10-07-14, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

The writers hired backed out after Cameron Crowe voiced his displeasure. 20th TV pulled the plug after they backed out.
i bet he showed them some nudie pics of nancy (circa the 80's.) for a chance to see that they would kill their own mothers.

he may also have threatened to show them some nudes of Ann.
Old 10-08-14, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

This is great news.
Old 10-08-14, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the span of two days an entire new series was announced, then cancelled. I'll bet there is a really good documentary to be made about this debacle.

How could the producers go so far as announce it without consulting Crowe? The article says they have the rights, so they can move forward if they want. If they cared sooooo much about what Crowe thought, don't you think they would have asked for his blessing before now, and avoid looking like fools?
Old 10-08-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
In the span of two days an entire new series was announced, then cancelled.
Somewhere, Heather Graham finally has her satisfaction.
Old 10-08-14, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Somewhere, Heather Graham finally has her satisfaction.
An Emily's Reasons Why Not reference? You win the internet today.
Old 10-08-14, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess I'll always have my Say Anything fan fiction.