Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Utopia (Amazon) - S: John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane, EP: Gillian Flynn

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Utopia (Amazon) - S: John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane, EP: Gillian Flynn

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Good show so far. Was surprised by a shakeup in episode two. The two hitmen are the highlight again.
Yeah, that shake-up pissed me off...

Spoiler:
...mainly because I love Jessica Rothe

Old 09-27-20, 05:04 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Utopia (Amazon) - S: John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane, EP: Gillian Flynn

I watched the first 4. I don’t really have any interest in continuing.

Last edited by dex14; 09-29-20 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-27-20, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Yeah, that shake-up pissed me off...

Spoiler:
...mainly because I love Jessica Rothe

Spoiler:

Ha. I was talking about the hitmen.

Like the original, these people believe they’re doing right by murdering. A lot of completely innocent people die. Makes it more gut wrenching than average.

Also not sure if this is the best time to make people doubt vaccines. Yikes. I know the show was written awhile back. But it sits with Contagion with its precedence.

Old 09-29-20, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

so far in one and a half episodes, the show is not doing too much to grab me. It seems to be all over the place in the first episode the second seems better but we had stuff come up before we could finish it last night. A little disappointing.
Old 09-29-20, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

not much interest in this, Amazon has a lot of weird shows they greenlight
Old 09-29-20, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
not much interest in this, Amazon has a lot of weird shows they greenlight
This one made sense, American remake of a revered UK series with Gillian Flynn doing the writing. Something definitely got lost in shuffle and I can kind of see why it got passed around as much as it did.
Old 09-29-20, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 624 Posts

I'm on episode 3. This show is insane.
Old 09-30-20, 03:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was disappointed with how the season ended, that was a little too up-in-the-air for me. Will be curious to see if it gets renewed for another season.
Old 10-01-20, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I watched about half of episode 1 and just can't... I try not to be one of those "but the original is so much better" people, but... in this case, the original was so much better. The aspect ratio. The riot of over saturated color. The camera work and placement. Most importantly, the soundtrack. As I said upthread, Channel 4's Utopia was like nothing I'd ever seen on TV before; Amazon's remake is... just another story from a streaming service. It's nothing like this (warning: recap of s1 of the original might have spoilers):

Old 10-01-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Is the original streaming anywhere?
Old 10-03-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Just finished season 1 (new amazon version) last night. I'm assuming they are/were planning a season 2.I'll watch the original version if i can find it.
Old 10-03-20, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

finished it last night. It was OK, it got better as the season went on but it was not amazing... I think my favorite thing from the show was RB and the reveal for his 'name" that was brutal...
Old 10-03-20, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 624 Posts

Finished it last night. Liked it enough to watch a second season.

I know there was a lot of brutality and death in the show, but I'm still having trouble with Jessica
Spoiler:
murdering Samantha for really no reason and with absolutely no remorse

and still eventually being kind of a hero to the other characters.
Old 10-10-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I finished it last night. I... don't think I liked it. It started off strong for me, but then went off the rails. It just felt like plot twists and surprises started to be thrown in with no logical reason. Also, while Jessica is supposed to be this great survivor, she made so many stupid moves that I lost all belief that she was actually competent by the end of the show. I won't be watching a second season, but I am intrigued that this is a remake and the original is better.

There were some great scenes and scenery chewing, but overall it didn't lead to a great show. It's disappointing.

However, I would love to have the actual Dystopia and Utopia comics. That artwork was really nice.
Old 10-15-20, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just finished the season. Man, I really loved this show - it was dark, violent, funny, and then there's the whole a-little-too-close-to-headlines themes.

Clearly there is more story to tell, but I was satisfied with where it went, and how it ended.
Kind of surprised there isn't more love for the series here (aside from the whole 'the UK version was better' comments)

I would watch the UK version now if I could, btw.
Old 10-16-20, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm also a fan of this show as is my wife. Not sure why all the downers. It's a fun, original ride in the violent vein of "The Boys."

Don't overthink this show and it's unsettling irony of what we're currently experiencing, just turn of your brain and go with it....
Old 10-16-20, 06:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Finished the season... mixed feelings on this one. It was fun I guess, and I did enjoy the little bits of dark humor and unexpected violence.

That said, it just felt off. Like it was trying to portray this end of world situation, going up against this mega villain, and it all just seemed so small scale. You would think a villain of that magnitude would have more guards/henchmen?
And Jessica - not sure why anyone would want to follow her, feel remorse for her, admire her after her actions in episode 2.
Old 10-16-20, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyx
Finished the season... mixed feelings on this one. It was fun I guess, and I did enjoy the little bits of dark humor and unexpected violence.

That said, it just felt off. Like it was trying to portray this end of world situation, going up against this mega villain, and it all just seemed so small scale. You would think a villain of that magnitude would have more guards/henchmen?
And Jessica - not sure why anyone would want to follow her, feel remorse for her, admire her after her actions in episode 2.
If there's a problem for me, -it's Jessica. I just find her repellent.
Old 11-05-20, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got a little further into this version and while it's entertaining enough I feel like the directing just kind of fails the material. I can't remember the last time I thought that about a TV series.
Old 11-12-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

The original version is now available on Amazon Prime. I looked for it at the time to no avail, so I'm assuming it's newly added.
Old 11-27-20, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Canceled: https://tvline.com/2020/11/27/utopia...azon-season-2/

So for those who watched this, is it worth watching?
Old 11-27-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you've never seen the original, it's worth a watch and largely standalone.
Old 11-28-20, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

No, watch the Boys or the Expanse instead. Those are two shows that are worth your time on amazon prime.
Old 11-30-20, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

not entirely disappointed this was canceled. I may try and watch the original version as I hear its better than this version. Jessica is awful and repugnant and I can not imagine people following her after what she did in the second or third episode.
Old 11-30-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I watched the original 2 seasons after watching season 1 of the amazon one. I was hoping to see what they would do with season 2 since it might be a difficult topic in today's virus/vaccine time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.