TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How To Get Away With Murder (ABC) -- S: Viola Davis -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
How To Get Away With Murder (ABC) -- S: Viola Davis -- Series Discussion Thread

SERIES PREMIERE

JUST HOW FAR WILL ANNALISE'S STUDENTS GO TO IMPRESS HER? ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF ABC'S "HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER"

"Pilot" - Annalise Keating is a tough as nails Criminal Law Professor and when Wes Gibbins starts his first day at Middleton University, he has no clue what he's walking into. In her class, "How to Get Away with Murder," Annalise challenges her students to solve some of the most difficult criminal cases that her law firm takes on, and in the end, she selects a group of the smartest, most promising students to come work for her. The competition is on and the students will stop at nothing to make sure they get to the head of her class. While Annalise seems to have it all together, we soon learn that her clients' secrets aren't the only ones she's keeping. Meanwhile, in flash-forwards, we learn that the price of impressing Annalise might just be too much for some, when a group of four students, Wes, Connor Walsh, Michaela Pratt and Laurel Castillo get involved in their own murder mystery cover up, on the Series Premiere of "How to Get Away with Murder," THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 25 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"How to Get Away with Murder" stars Academy-Award Nominee Viola Davis as Professor Annalise Keating, Billy Brown as Detective Nate Lahey, Alfred Enoch as Wes Gibbins, Jack Falahee as Connor Walsh, Katie Findlay as Rebecca Dixon, Aja Naomi King as Michaela Pratt, Matt McGorry as Asher Millstone, Karla Souza as Laurel Castillo, Charlie Weber as Frank Delfino and Liza Weil as Bonnie Winterbottom.

Guest Starring Tom Verica as Sam Keating, Lenny Platt as Griffin O'reilly, Micahel Gaston as Prosecuter Henry Williams, Conrad Ricamora as Oliver, Suzanne Savoy as Judge Kathy Powell, Andrea Syglowski as Gina Sadowski and Megan West as Lila Stangard.

"The Pilot" was written by Pete Nowalk and directed by Michael Offer.

"How to Get Away with Murder" is created and executive-produced by Pete Nowalk ("Scandal," "Grey's Anatomy"). Shonda Rhimes ("Scandal," "Grey's Anatomy"), Betsy Beers ("Scandal," "Grey's Anatomy") and Bill D'Elia ("The Crazy Ones," "Boston Legal") also serve as executive producers. "How to Get Away with Murder" is produced by ABC Studios.

13 episode order as of right now.

Trailer:

<iframe-disabled-disabled width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dbSl-SPyHtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe-disabled-disabled>

Last edited by DJariya; 03-03-16 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: How To Get Away With Murder (ABC) -- S: Viola Davis -- Season 1 Thread -- 9/25/14

Sure why not.
Old 09-25-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: How To Get Away With Murder (ABC) -- S: Viola Davis -- Season 1 Thread -- 9/25/14

Have they shown any promos for this yet? I don't think I had heard of this until now.
Old 09-25-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Have they shown any promos for this yet? I don't think I had heard of this until now.
If you watch ABC yes. Because the entire evening is dedicated to shows produced or created by Shonda Rhimes (Grey's, Scandal and this). She's a Producer on this show.
Old 09-26-14, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes.. I gave it 30 minutes and couldn't take anymore (I feel like an idiot for even giving it that long). I thought it was awful - the writing, the dialogue, the acting (or should I say overacting?), and the story. I though Viola Davis was terrible - not sure if it was just a miscast or if it was the writing but everything just seemed over-acted.

I try to be patient with a new show, but when the opening scene is them flipping a coin to decide what to do with a dead body and then it somehow goes further downhill... not good. And to make this about the law and then do that ridiculous crap with the email, that's when I turned it off. It seemed like a bad soap opera that should be on during the day.
Old 09-26-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really loved this. Thought this was the best pilot of the fall season so far. I've loved Viola Davis since she had a small role in "Out of Sight" and I'm excited I get to watch her on TV every week. As the episode unfolded, I was worried that she would be revealed as the murder victim because I love her character so much already. I was glad to see it wasn't her.
Old 09-26-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If you watch ABC yes. Because the entire evening is dedicated to shows produced or created by Shonda Rhimes (Grey's, Scandal and this). She's a Producer on this show.
. I was being facetious. They have promoed the hell out of this thing on ABC, ESPN, probably Disney for all I know. In fact, that's one of the reasons I didn't even watch, if they have to promo something that much there's little chance its any good.
Old 09-26-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I love Viola Davis so this show would have to suck hard for me not to watch this every week. This did not suck at all, I loved it. I love complicated female characters and Keating is certainly on that list.
Old 09-27-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really enjoyed it. Surprised by the lack of comments since I thought that this was one of the new shows with the most buzz.
Old 09-27-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Really enjoyed it. Surprised by the lack of comments since I thought that this was one of the new shows with the most buzz.
I would probably check it out if I had more time, but I'm fairly positive the target demo for this series doesn't overlap very much with this forum's demographics.
Old 09-27-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I would probably check it out if I had more time, but I'm fairly positive the target demo for this series doesn't overlap very much with this forum's demographics.
Possibly also the same reasons this show will probably not be released on bluray.
Old 09-27-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
It seemed like a bad soap opera that should be on during the day.
Yeah, it was bad; it's basically Grey's Anatomy. I thought it would be something different but it's the same shit from the same producer in a different package.
Old 09-29-14, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought this was great. Really different take on the law procedural.

Viola Davis was great and her character is quite complicated and intimidating. I would have been scared to have her as a professor.

One thing that really stood out and sold me on this was the fact that the 4 lead characters/students, who are now hired and working for Annalise are actually killers. That's pretty cool IMO. I'm guessing in addition to the cases of the week, that will be the underlying mystery about them.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...umbers/307278/

This was the 2nd most watched show last Thursday behind football. 14.3M viewers and 3.9. Shonda managed to get all the Scandal fans to stick around.
Old 09-29-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Wife and I enjoyed it. Viola's character was a bit more ruthless than I expected which was a nice treat.
Old 09-29-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Right over your head...
Old 09-29-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I was underwhelmed.
Old 09-29-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

We got around to watching this on the DVR and really enjoyed it. I think its trying a little too hard to be slick and it seems like too many of the characters are going to be conveniently tied together, but it's got both me and the fiancee interested for the mystery alone. She usually likes those shows like Grey's which I hate myself, but this one was entertaining.
Old 09-30-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched the pilot last night and I liked it for the most part. It has some primetime soap vibes to it. I'm not surprised that the Scandal audience stuck around to watch it. Viola Davis will carry the show well. This show will probably a back 9 order. I think a 22 episode format might hurt this show later on.
Old 09-30-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

If I read the Deadline article right, it shattered the record held by The Blacklist when it comes to live + 3 total viewer ratings, so the show performed like a superstar. I can just hope that it gets better fast, but I clearly will not be missed if they lose me as a viewer.
Old 09-30-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone doesn't have to like everything. I enjoy hearing about why someone doesn't like a show as much as why someone does.

I had no expectations of liking this one, but was surprised to find I did. I already watch Grey's. Maybe I should try Scandal too. Anyway, Viola really sells the show for me.

It took me awhile, but then I remembered the 2nd assistant (Liza Weil aka "Bonnie") as being Paris Geller from Gilmore Girls.

Calling it soapy is probably fair. It's about the law the way Grey's is about medicine. But I'm OK with watching a show about reasonably interesting characters in reasonably interesting situations.
Old 10-04-14, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I liked the pilot and will keep watching. I'm a sucker for a courtroom drama, though.

FTR, I've never seen Grey's Anatomy.

Last edited by davidh777; 10-04-14 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-06-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I caught up with the second episode yesterday and still enjoying it. The plot is moving a long nicely and the case was pretty interesting.
Old 10-09-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2014/10/how-to-g...rs-abc-848758/

ABC picked up 2 extra episodes. Season 1 will finish at 15 episodes. Apparently, Viola Davis only committed to 15 episodes tops.
Old 10-10-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just watched the first episode. Hated the first half but loved the second half. This is usually not the type of show I watch. The main actress is solid. I wasn't moved by any of the other actors.
Old 10-10-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Watched the second episode. I liked the entire episode but was a little confused on some of the scenes. I wasn't sure if they were in the past or present. Also I wasn't sure why some scene were shown at all like the part with black kid buying stuff. We already knew he bought the stuff why did we need to see him doing it.

I think the murder/death of the husband is going to be a season long thing with Arrow like flashbacks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.