Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Madam Secretary (CBS) -- S: Tea Leoni -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Madam Secretary (CBS) -- S: Tea Leoni -- Series Thread

MADAM SECRETARY stars Tèa Leoni as Elizabeth McCord, the shrewd, determined, newly appointed Secretary of State who drives international diplomacy, battles office politics and circumvents protocol as she negotiates global and domestic issues, both at the White House and at home. A college professor and a brilliant former CIA analyst who left for ethical reasons, Elizabeth returns to public life at the request of the President following the suspicious death of her predecessor. The President values her apolitical leanings, her deep knowledge of the Middle East, her flair for languages and her ability to not just think outside the box, but to not even acknowledge there is a box. McCord's team includes her Chief of Staff Nadine Tolliver, speechwriter Matt Mahoney, press coordinator Daisy Grant and her charming assistant Blake Moran. When McCord debates third world problems, finesses foreign dignitaries at work and does battle with the President's combative Chief of Staff Russell Jackson, it's just a warm-up for when she goes home to her supportive husband, Henry, and their two bright children, where "politics" and "compromise" take on new meaning.

Did anyone here happen to catch this Sunday night at 8pm? It aired 1 hour late for East coast audiences because of football.

It's from the creator of Judging Amy and is Produced by Morgan Freeman.

I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this much more than tonight's premiere of The Good Wife. Really good cast and it's a good mix of political drama and conspiracy thriller.

There is 2 story arcs. The death of the previous Secretary in a plane crash, which may involve someone in the White House. Also, the CIA analyst George (Bill Sadler) who is Elizabeth's friend was murdered presumably for having knowledge of it. I enjoyed it. I'll be back next week. I'm not a big fan of Tea Leoni, but she was pretty good here. Interesting that they have Keith Carradine as the POTUS. I don't forsee myself regularly posting and talking about this, but if interesting things happen I'll try.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-04-15 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Madam Secretary (CBS) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Tea Leoni, Tim Daly -- Starts 9/21

This was a snooze fest. Wife and I didn't make it thru the entire episode.
Old 09-22-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Madam Secretary (CBS) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: Tea Leoni, Tim Daly -- Starts 9/21

I'd rather watch the smart-ass professor aspect of Tea's character. LOL!
Old 09-22-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We liked it. But mostly because of the supporting cast, not Tea. We''' see how long it lasts. Zeljko Ivanek is a series killer!
Old 09-22-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Zeljko Ivanek is a series killer!
Unfortunately, he does not choose wisely. He either takes on unmemorable guest star turns (Big Love, Banshee - seriously that was all to his character? -, etc. etc.) or jumps on series that are DOA based on premise and writing.

He was amazing on Damages. He needs another strong supporting role in a cable drama.
Old 09-22-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Serious questions, not intended as trolling: Does anyone care about Tea Leoni anymore? And how many people really know what a secretary of state does, other than political wonks and serious Hillary Clinton fans?
Old 09-22-14, 06:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

David, how much did anyone ever care about Tea Leoni? It's not like she's Halle Berry (but don't get me started on that idiotic Extant). But I guess I like the Spanglish Tea, the overbearing, sort of clueless, comic Tea. I want to like her in this show, and I want to like this show, but it's not quite there yet, IMHO. I don't think Ivanek is a series killer, I've liked him in his various roles, but I don't quite believe a real chief of staff would be so (or allowed to be so) controlling as to have to have everything the president sees go through him. So my disbelief of his role compromises my opinion of him in the role.

To me, the big problem for this show is that it's on just before Good Wife, which to me is an absolutely spectacular show, both in storytelling and in acting. And Madam Secretary pales in comparison.
Old 09-22-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SteveA
David, how much did anyone ever care about Tea Leoni?
Legit question. I watched that terrible sitcom of hers, sort of as a favor to David Duchovny because I was a big X-Files fan. But I've never liked her.
Old 09-23-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Wasn't great but kept me in long enough to be interested with the mystery plot.
Old 09-23-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Does she own a whorehouse or work at a brothel?
Old 09-25-14, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the pilot and will keep watching. I doubt this will ever hold a candle to The Good Wife, but I'm always happy to support CBS when they try something that isn't a crime prodecural/spinoff. I did find Tea seemed to have a little more energy at the beginning when she was still a professor. Hopefully she can tap back into that as the series progresses.
Old 09-25-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like this could be a procedural. Only a political one on an international scale rather than just the US.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-25-14 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my favorite of the new shows. I enjoyed it more than Gotham, which I take to mean I am officially part of the Matlock generation.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I have no idea why, but CBS and NBC look way better than ABC here (OTA and cable). CBS and NBC look like film. ABC looks like video (soft). Thank goodness Hannibal isn't on ABC.
Old 09-28-14, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

WHILE DEALING WITH A CRISIS IN YEMEN, ELIZABETH FACES A CHALLENGE AT HOME WHEN HER DAUGHTER MAKES HEADLINES PROTESTING HER UNIVERSITY'S NEW POLICY, ON "MADAM SECRETARY," SUNDAY, SEPT. 28

"Another Benghazi" - While in the process of dealing with a crisis in Yemen, Elizabeth faces a challenge at home when her oldest daughter makes headlines for protesting her university's new policy, on MADAM SECRETARY, Sunday, Sept. 28 (8:01-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

REGULAR CAST:

Téa Leoni (Elizabeth McCord)
Tim Daly (Henry McCord)
Bebe Neuwirth (Nadine Tolliver)
Zeljko Ivanek (Russell Jackson)
Patina Miller (Daisy Grant)
Erich Bergen (Blake Moran)
Geoffrey Arend (Matt Mahoney)
Katherine Herzer (Alison McCord)
Evan Roe (Jason McCord)
RECURRING CAST:

Keith Carradine (President Conrad Dalton)
Sebastian Arcelus (Jay Whitman)
Patrick Breen (Andrew Munsey)
Wallis Currie-Wood (Stephanie "Stevie" McCord)
GUEST CAST: Joshua Colley (Elizabeth McCord)
Paige Brady (Susie Wellington)
Megan Byrne (Jessica Wellington)
Tim Guinee (Paul Wellington)
John Bedford Lloyd (Everard Burke)
Jeff Hephner (Isaac Bishop)
Shawn T. Andrew (Seal)
Brian O'Neill (Navy Admiral)
Lesli Silva (Ms. Hardwick)
Mariand Torres (Young Widow)
Leila Buck (Al-Huran News Anchor)
WRITTEN BY: Executive Producer Barbara Hall

DIRECTED BY: David Semel

New Start time for #MadamSecretary will be 8:15/715c LOCALLY NYC, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Michigan, parts of Wisconsin, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville and Savannah, GA.
Old 09-29-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it. Found the cast and characters likable and smart. Had a bit of a West Wing vibe for me. Season pass.
Old 09-29-14, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I really am enjoying this show, but it may be one the first casualties of the new crop of shows, given its anemic 18 - 49 rating.
Old 10-06-14, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I enjoyed tonight's episode, however, some of the issues she deals with should not be resolved in a one and done episode, but rather over the course of at least 2 or 3 episodes (it just does not feel like the show has set up a/b storylines). I guess the family at home scenes might be considered the B storyline, but not really. That being said, I actually enjoy those scenes, especially the ones with her daughter who dropped out of college.
Old 10-06-14, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
That being said, I actually enjoy those scenes, especially the ones with her daughter who dropped out of college.
I feel like an old perv, but that girl is really cute... like Emma Roberts, only better. I also like that she has actual depth, and is not the typical "college-age daughter #2".

Having said that... is it just me, or does Tea always look like she just rolled out of bed? Even if she's all gussied up, her hair goes in 16 different directions at once, and she looks like she's coming off a gin bender. It's like she and the Trivago guy are soulmates.
Old 10-06-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Having said that... is it just me, or does Tea always look like she just rolled out of bed? Even if she's all gussied up, her hair goes in 16 different directions at once, and she looks like she's coming off a gin bender. It's like she and the Trivago guy are soulmates.
I think her raspy voice contributes to that.
Old 11-17-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's finally getting good, with the Prez and Chief of Staff on the prime suspect list for offing the previous Sec.State.
Old 11-17-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I accidentally deleted the last 5 eps. Derp.
Old 11-17-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whotony
I accidentally deleted the last 5 eps. Derp.
http://www.cbs.com/shows/madam-secretary/video/

The entire season is on CBS.com

Also, the entire season is on CBS on demand (if you get it)
Old 11-17-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No HD on demand with Directv. I'll check cbs. Thanks
Old 10-19-19, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts
Re: Madam Secretary (CBS) -- S: Tea Leoni -- Series Thread

I watched it last night - Elizabeth McCord has graduated to Madam President in its last season with a scandal that she "colluded" with Iran and leaked incriminating information regarding her presidential rival.