Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Strain (S1E10) -- "Loved Ones" -- 9/14/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E10) -- "Loved Ones" -- 9/14/14

The problem with the "net" stuff is that supposedly she slowed it to a crawl, but it's still somewhat usable. This leads to the problems with consistency we see where it's supposedly working like shit, but we see the screen bringing up maps and tracking phones faster than any of us would be able to do on our normal connections. The rules and logic haven't been established other than "plot needs this so that's the rule."

Overall I find the show more fun, despite the many logical flaws, than I did in the beginning. I will continue to watch. Would you people who have read the book, recommend that I read it, or should I just stick with the show?
Old 09-18-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
The problem with the "net" stuff is that supposedly she slowed it to a crawl, but it's still somewhat usable. This leads to the problems with consistency we see where it's supposedly working like shit, but we see the screen bringing up maps and tracking phones faster than any of us would be able to do on our normal connections. The rules and logic haven't been established other than "plot needs this so that's the rule."

Overall I find the show more fun, despite the many logical flaws, than I did in the beginning. I will continue to watch. Would you people who have read the book, recommend that I read it, or should I just stick with the show?
Read the books in between the episodes. I mentioned that this first season of The Strain already had bits and pieces from the second book: The Fall.

I'm listening to The Fall audiobook and am seeing that certain points of this story have already showed up on the television show.
Old 09-18-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I'm sorry, but did you miss the part where the kid found her iPhone on the internet before the writers remembered that the net was done?

That shit is really getting annoying. The writer keep on remembering shit when it's convenient but then shut it off when it's suddenly not convenient.
I'm not saying the show isn't inconsistent with this stuff, I was just arguing that Eph has a pretty good reason to be pissed with the hacker.
Old 09-18-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Read the books in between the episodes.
You've me mentioned people should read the books before. If an adaptation doesn't make sense independent of the source material, it has failed as an adaptation.
Old 09-18-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I'm not saying the show isn't inconsistent with this stuff, I was just arguing that Eph has a pretty good reason to be pissed with the hacker.
If he was smart, he would be asking her to start working on getting the shit back up at all costs, and asking what she needed to do so. I just don't like when people let pissy shit get in the way of doing what needs to be done. This is basically the fucking apocalypse and he's acting like a 2 year old.
Old 09-18-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The logic of her walking out because he pulled his CDC rank (lol) was hilarious. Again, it just feels like they are doing all this end of the world, riots in the street shit in ADR as it was far too boring with them just talking in the scene. And why anyone would still go outside when all hell broke loose, as suggested by the random breaking of windows and car alarms and burning shit is odd. Even more so why a couple is just strolling down hand in hand like it's nothing when some blood covered homeless dudes are stalking you.
Old 09-18-14, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all seems to be going a bit slow for my tastes. Whatever happened to the rebel band of vampires led by Mr. Quinlan, who killed Joan Luss and the maid's daughter in episode 7? That was awesome!
Old 09-18-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You've me mentioned people should read the books before. If an adaptation doesn't make sense independent of the source material, it has failed as an adaptation.
It makes perfect sense. My statement was that if you want more of The Strain then read books between episodes, so that you can see how the books are structured much differently than the series.
Old 09-18-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by littlewarhola
It all seems to be going a bit slow for my tastes. Whatever happened to the rebel band of vampires led by Mr. Quinlan, who killed Joan Luss and the maid's daughter in episode 7? That was awesome!
We probably won't see them again until Season 2: The Fall.
Old 09-18-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 536 Posts

It makes perfect sense. My statement was that if you want more of The Strain then read books between episodes, so that you can see how the books are structured much differently than the series.
No thanks. I'm a visual person. I haven't read any of TWD books either. I don't watch GoT nor read those books. The last time I read a book then saw the film was The Abyss in 1989.
Old 09-18-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
No thanks. I'm a visual person. I haven't read any of TWD books either. I don't watch GoT nor read those books. The last time I read a book then saw the film was The Abyss in 1989.
Cool. then keep "grudge watching" the show. There's already a season 2 on the way, so with your continued support, we may get to see season 3: The Night Eternal!
Old 09-18-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's evidently planned out to five seasons.
Old 09-18-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The Walking Dead is comics, so as a visual person they would likely have more appeal than a prose book.
Old 09-18-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Books are good for you! Read them!

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-20-14 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Walking Dead is comics, so as a visual person they would likely have more appeal than a prose book.
Not to mention The Strain series is available in graphic novel format, too.

Old 09-19-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Cool. then keep "grudge watching" the show. There's already a season 2 on the way, so with your continued support, we may get to see season 3: The Night Eternal!
The way they move the plot itself feels ETERNAL!

see, what I'm saying there is that this show's pacing is FUCKING AWFUL. It's really pushing the boundaries of viewer patience and poor storytelling regardless of a season 2 or projected 5 seasons.

This seriously need to start escalating again and fast because it's silly that we got a gas station show down where it seemed to heavily imply that all had gone to shit already, only to follow up with strolling through the streets during the day as if nothing had happened.

Then regardless if the Vampire Kill Squad was introduced early, you already played that card. Having them not appear anymore till season 2 would be an ultimate dick move.

There's only so much "Oh man, shit's going to get crazy, just you watch, man" you can say and then evidenced that shit is not only NOT getting crazier, but seems to take a step backwards episodes later before we just say this show is full of shit.

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?!

Old 09-19-14, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I only say that the Hunters will appear in season 2, because Quinlan and the actor credited with playing him is only listed once in the 13-episode run on IMDB.
Old 09-19-14, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

As for Grudge watching. it's not so much that. We want to like this show. We want to enjoy it. The premise and all the pieces sound so cool. But the fucking pacing on this shit is just so terrible and the lack of progression really just gives you no reason BUT to hate it.
Old 09-19-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody concerned about the pacing should just drop he show from their watch queue. It's been staed numberous times that it's planned for 5 seasons, and it's quite clear they are pacing it that way.

Personally I enjoyed them taking their time to show how the wife got turned. Also liked the whole episode at the gas station. And certainly the flashbacks to when the coffin was built were awesome.
Old 09-19-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I wonder how the Master chose her (Eph's wife) for special treatment. She's not as bestial as the other vampires whom the Master seems to care nothing about.
Old 09-19-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 536 Posts

Not to mention The Strain series is available in graphic novel format, too.
Are there written words? Then I'll pass. Sorry, I have to read so much crap at work that I don't care to read for fun anymore. And I get your passion for the show if you're a fan of the books, but one doesn't have to read the source material to enjoy it. The Marvel films prove that (especially GotG).

I do have an expectation that if they're going for some "realism" within a tv show, that it doesn't insult me (whether one knows the material or not) and I expect that of every show I watch. I understand I have to suspend some disbelief for the fantastic, but it's not much to ask. I find fault in all of the shows I follow. And I'm not watching these shows begrudgingly. Strain is one of the few that I do my best to catch live. If I didn't give a shit, I'd wait to binge watch and listen to most of this boards reviews to see if I just delete it or not.
Old 09-19-14, 12:32 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i think that's a problem with shows based on books. If your gonna stay true to the books, you can't take alternate routes which may be more exciting and visually appealing

Not every show can do the slower pace as well as GOT . You compare the GOT cast to the Strain cast, it's like comparing a Michelin star meal to a paper bag full of crap

Every new show and every new writer wants to try and be the next Breaking Bad and for the most part they are all failing miserably

IF you can't do the slow burn at an elite level, then pick up the fucking pace !