Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ash vs. Evil Dead (Starz) -- Season 1 Thread -- premieres 10/31/2015

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ash vs. Evil Dead (Starz) -- Season 1 Thread -- premieres 10/31/2015

Sam Raimi made a surprise announcement today at Comic-Con that he and his brother Ted are working on a new Evil Dead TV series, and that Bruce Campbell is also involved.

No other details are available, but I'm hoping for something more in the spirit (no pun intended) of EDII and Army of Darkness than the recent remake.

This could be groovy.
Old 07-25-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
re: Ash vs. Evil Dead (Starz, premieres 10/31/2015)

Yo, she-bitch! I'm in!
Old 07-25-14, 07:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Assuming this'll make its way to at least a basic cable or premium network. Doubt it'll be suitable for network television.
Old 07-25-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Assuming this'll make its way to at least a basic cable or premium network. Doubt it'll be suitable for network television.
I was thinking the same thing, there is no way it would be on network TV. If it goes to basic cable, I think FX or maybe SyFy would be good.
Old 07-25-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Please be more than just a horror anthology series with Ash introducing episodes
Old 07-26-14, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

El Rey Network could be a good fit as a companion show to From Dusk Till Dawn. The director of the Evil Dead remake, Fede Alvarez, even did an episode of FDTD, so maybe some discussion came of it.
Old 07-27-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Looks like Bruce is going to be the star: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/331...il-dead-series
Old 07-27-14, 04:31 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Obviously riding on the back of the success of Walking Dead

I am a huge Bruce and Evil Dead fan, but i don't want the genre to be saturated on TV to the point that all the shows fail and get cancelled. I would prefer a few quality shows in the genre
Old 07-27-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So for those keeping track we have an Evil Dead series in the works, a Scream series in the works, a Friday the 13th series in the works, and From Dusk till Dawn already airing. Should be interesting to see how many of these actually make it to series.
Old 11-10-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Groovy, it's going to be called "Ash vs. The Evil Dead" and air on Starz.

From Deadline.com:

http://deadline.com/2014/11/the-evil...rz-1201280595/

The Evil Dead movie franchise has officially crossed over to television with a 10-episode straight-to-series order from Starz for a 2015 premiere. Titled "Ash Vs. Evil Dead," the followup to the classic film franchise reteams the original filmmakers, director Sam Raimi, longtime producing partner Rob Tapert and star Bruce Campbell who will serve as executive producers. Campbell will be reprising his role as Ash, the stock boy, aging lothario and chainsaw-handed monster hunter who has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead. When a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind, Ash is finally forced to face his demons –personal and literal. Destiny, it turns out, has no plans to release the unlikely hero from its “Evil” grip.

Raimi will direct the first episode of Ash Vs. Evil Dead, which he co-wrote with his brother Ivan Raimi (Darkman) and Tom Spezialy (Chuck). “Evil Dead has always been a blast,” Raimi said. “Bruce, Rob, and I are thrilled to have the opportunity to tell the next chapter in Ash’s lame, but heroic saga. With his chainsaw arm and his ‘boomstick,’ Ash is back to kick some monster butt. And brother, this time there’s a truckload of it.”

Ash vs. Evil Dead also reunites Sam Raimi and Tapert with Starz where they executive produced the pay cable network’s first scripted hit, drama Spartacus. Ivan Raimi will co-executive produce the series, and Aaron Lam (Spartacus) will serve as producer.
Old 11-10-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. That sounds surprisingly fun.
Old 11-10-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

With Raimi being hands-on and Bruce Campbell reprising his role as Ash I'm definitely interested now.
Old 11-10-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Sweet!! With only Outlander, Power , Da Vinci's Demons and Black Sails as their main originals, Starz needed something more, especially for the geek and younger audience. None of those other originals, despite being renewed and getting mostly good reviews had much internet buzz.

I guess this eliminates the possible Jesse and Sam Axe Burn Notice spinoff for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-10-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I can't believe this is really happening. There's so much talk with this film series and nothing ever seems to happen.
Old 11-10-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sweet!! With only Outlander, Power , Da Vinci's Demons and Black Sails as their main originals, Starz needed something more, especially for the geek and younger audience. None of those other originals, despite being renewed and getting mostly good reviews had much internet buzz.

I guess this eliminates the possible Jesse and Sam Axe Burn Notice spinoff for the foreseeable future.
I pretty much figured that was DOA after the series finale aired and no one made a comment about it.
Old 11-10-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is unexpected, but amazing news. Can't wait to see what they've got in store for us.

I know there were rumblings of Evil Dead 2 being followed by Army of Darkness 2 and then a seventh film where Ash and Mia meet up. I wonder what impact the show will have on the future of the movie series.
Old 11-10-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...mpbell/325721/

According to the official press release, which tvbythenumbers posted, it's 10 30-minute episodes.
Old 11-10-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...mpbell/325721/

According to the official press release, which tvbythenumbers posted, it's 10 30-minute episodes.
Yes, but that's 30 minutes with no commercials...almost as long as a WALKING DEAD episode these days.
Old 11-10-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

So does it come after Army of Darkness? The S-Mart ending?
Old 11-10-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
This is unexpected, but amazing news. Can't wait to see what they've got in store for us.

I know there were rumblings of Evil Dead 2 being followed by Army of Darkness 2 and then a seventh film where Ash and Mia meet up. I wonder what impact the show will have on the future of the movie series.
I have to believe that the idea of connecting the reboot and the original series is dead with this news. I'm not really sure if they were ever serious about that idea.
Old 11-10-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That's the million dollar question. The little synopsis makes it sound like they'll use the S-Mart ending but I do know that Sam and Bruce prefer the alternate ending.
Old 11-10-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I've always been in the minority that prefers The Evil Dead over Evil Dead 2 but I'd definitely watch this new series if/when it happens. It sounds like it's a fun idea!

So I guess Campbell won't co-star in the Uncharted movie then or has that thing pretty much died at this point?
Old 11-10-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
They've always played pretty fast and loose with continuity in this franchise. Evil Dead 2 is a reboot/sequel to The Evil Dead and Army of Darkness starts off differently than Evil Dead 2 ended. With this franchise you pretty much just pick and choose whatever continuity you want to follow, lol.

It wouldn't surprise me if they started Ash vs. Evil Dead where the original ending left off (with Ash oversleeping), although going with the S-Mart ending would probably make for a cheaper budget and since most people are familiar with the S-Mart ending and not the original ending they might just continue from the S-Mart ending for simplicity sake.

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I have to believe that the idea of connecting the reboot and the original series is dead with this news. I'm not really sure if they were ever serious about that idea.
I wonder why they even bothered having Ash show up in the post-credit teaser if they weren't at least seriously contemplating connecting the reboot and original series. I suppose it's possible that they do the television series and sequel to the reboot and then make a movie that connects the two. One can dream...

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I've always been in the minority that prefers The Evil Dead over Evil Dead 2 but I'd definitely watch this new series if/when it happens. It sounds like it's a fun idea!
You're not alone. Aside from some key parts like the laughing room, hand possession, and chainsaw arm I generally prefer The Evil Dead over Evil Dead 2. I just pretend that The Evil Dead happens in its entirety and then Evil Dead 2 picks up with Ash being thrown across the forest and the stuff with just his girlfriend and him never really happened. Don't get me wrong, the second movie is fun and I like it a lot, but it became a little too tongue in cheek for me at times which is why I prefer the first. I just think it's better overall, especially with respect to storytelling, atmosphere, effects, acting, and cast chemistry. I do love me some Army of Darkness though!

Last edited by kstublen; 11-10-14 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Remember friends, Shop Smart...shop S-Mart.
Old 11-11-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
They've always played pretty fast and loose with continuity in this franchise. Evil Dead 2 is a reboot/sequel to The Evil Dead and Army of Darkness starts off differently than Evil Dead 2 ended. With this franchise you pretty much just pick and choose whatever continuity you want to follow, lol.

It wouldn't surprise me if they started Ash vs. Evil Dead where the original ending left off (with Ash oversleeping), although going with the S-Mart ending would probably make for a cheaper budget and since most people are familiar with the S-Mart ending and not the original ending they might just continue from the S-Mart ending for simplicity sake.

I wonder why they even bothered having Ash show up in the post-credit teaser if they weren't at least seriously contemplating connecting the reboot and original series. I suppose it's possible that they do the television series and sequel to the reboot and then make a movie that connects the two. One can dream...

You're not alone. Aside from some key parts like the laughing room, hand possession, and chainsaw arm I generally prefer The Evil Dead over Evil Dead 2. I just pretend that The Evil Dead happens in its entirety and then Evil Dead 2 picks up with Ash being thrown across the forest and the stuff with just his girlfriend and him never really happened. Don't get me wrong, the second movie is fun and I like it a lot, but it became a little too tongue in cheek for me at times which is why I prefer the first. I just think it's better overall, especially with respect to storytelling, atmosphere, effects, acting, and cast chemistry. I do love me some Army of Darkness though!
Evil Dead 2 isn't a reboot, the beginning is just a recap of the first one, but they didn't have rights to actually use footage, so they did an abridged recap. What you pretend is the way it actually is, the second movie picks up right where the first movie ends.

I'm honestly in shock that this is actually happening. After YEARS of talk about ED4/AoD2 and nothing coming about, when I first heard the talk about the TV show, I took it with a shaker full of salt. But to see it actually ordered to series is unbelievable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.