Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary BD/DVD Box Set

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Doctor Who 50th Anniversary BD/DVD Box Set

Just announced yesterday, the BBC is releasing a box set containing all of the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary elements. This includes three episodes (Name of the Doctor, Day of the Doctor, and Time of the Doctor), two webisodes (Night of the Doctor and The Last Day), plus An Adventure In Time & Space and Peter Davison's hilarious The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot.

Linky: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-...-ray-61092.htm

Further details on the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Collection DVD and Blu-ray have been revealed. The limited edition box set is out early September.

Episodes include:
  • The Name of the Doctor
  • The Night of the Doctor
  • The Day of the Doctor
  • The Time of the Doctor
  • An Adventure in Space and Time
  • The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
Extras include:
  • The Day of the Doctor readthrough
  • Deleted scenes, trailers, and the cinema introduction for The Day of the Doctor
  • Behind-the-scenes features on Name, Day, Time of the Doctor and An Adventure in Space and Time
  • Doctor Who The Ultimate Guide
  • The Last Day mini-episode
  • Tales from the TARDIS
  • Farewell to Matt Smith
  • The Science of Doctor Who
  • 2013 Doctor Who Prom
The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Collection is out on 8 September 2014. There will be only 6,000 units on Blu-ray and 4,000 units on DVD.
I just found it on the UK's BBC Shop website, £31.99 plus £7.50 shipping (approx US$63 in all). Regular DVD is £3.00 less expensive, but with shipping it's still approx US$58. But there's no mention of what region coding or format the videos will be in - I would hold off on ordering this unless you know for certain that you're Blu Ray setup at home is bulletproof. Even if this is Region Free the discs may be spec'd to 50i (UK Standard) rather than 60i (US Standard). I have a player that converts 50i to 60i, but most do not.

I am expecting to spot these on BBC Shop, BBC America Shop, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com. Right now, only BBC Shop has a listing.
Old 07-24-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary BD/DVD Box Set

Mods - Pls feel free to re-forumize this if TV Talk is incorrect. I debated starting this in DVD Bargains, but it seemed that the audience for this would be here not there.
Old 07-24-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary BD/DVD Box Set

Presumably this will get a US release...

Not liking the limited nature of this set, though. Hopefully the US edition is either unlimited or has more units.

Also curious about how the contents on the discs break down. Looks like it is four discs, each cover has different Doctor on it. Will "Day of the Doctor" have the 3D version? Surprised to see the inclusion of "Name of the Doctor" as well.