Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pawn Stars v Hardcore Pawn

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts
Re: Pawn Stars v Hardcore Pawn

For Pawn Stars, there have been a lot of new episodes this season (just looked it up, 80-episode season eight so far!)

With all the stupid skits added, this show could succumb to the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" effect. Too much is a bad thing! "Millionaire" aired five nights a week and people got sick of it.

In my opinion, "Ghost Hunters" fell victim to it. It airs in Jan, Feb, June, and Oct. I always thought that show worked best in the fall (Sept-Nov) for obvious reasons. I don't watch the show anymore because I got sick of it.

Pawn Stars could be next. I'm already halfway there since I fast forward a lot.
Old 07-21-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think that's bound to happen at some point in time. Honestly the series has taken a pretty big dip in quality if you ask me. Not that it was ever a really great series but at one point in time it was pretty entertaining without being eyeroll inducing. Now it's so there's so many storylines that are so painfully obviously set up and Chum doing stupid shit every episode that it's not natural anymore. The series needs to learn to not pile that stuff into every episode or I think people eventually will get sick of it and tune out. Maybe I'm wrong though as people do seem to like stupid shit.
Old 07-21-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think that's bound to happen at some point in time. Honestly the series has taken a pretty big dip in quality if you ask me. Not that it was ever a really great series but at one point in time it was pretty entertaining without being eyeroll inducing. Now it's so there's so many storylines that are so painfully obviously set up and Chum doing stupid shit every episode that it's not natural anymore. The series needs to learn to not pile that stuff into every episode or I think people eventually will get sick of it and tune out. Maybe I'm wrong though as people do seem to like stupid shit.
Isn't it still the highest rated show on cable? It may be stupid shit but people are still tuned in.

I gave up on it last year. I figured my time could be spent better watching something else. I started losing interest in History's programming when they changed American Restoration in to the pile of garbage its become. That, and when American Pickers started having full segments dedicated to "Subway sandwiches" in every episode I had enough.
Old 07-21-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It probably still is but they seem to be laying on the storylines more thick this season. As for American Pickers, that's actually the one History Channel reality series I still enjoy quite a bit. I don't think they've ruined that series yet with too many storylines or advertisements.
Old 07-21-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for American Pickers, that's actually the one History Channel reality series I still enjoy quite a bit.
Then they must have turned course from the reboot two years ago. The show used to be focused on actually restoring the items people brought it, but they changed the format to focus more on the family angle of the shop with Rob being the Chumlee of the group.
Old 07-21-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You thinking American Restoration?
Old 07-21-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Then they must have turned course from the reboot two years ago. The show used to be focused on actually restoring the items people brought it, but they changed the format to focus more on the family angle of the shop with Rob being the Chumlee of the group.
Are you sure you're not thinking American Restoration? That series got pretty bad for a while and tried to make Ron their Chum. The series has gotten somewhat better again but still isn't that great. Rob (Mike's brother) isn't really a main character on American Pickers and is rarely on. It's mostly still Mike and Frank picking with occasional scenes of the shops in Iowa and Tennessee.
Old 07-21-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you sure you're not thinking American Restoration? That series got pretty bad for a while and tried to make Ron their Chum. The series has gotten somewhat better again but still isn't that great. Rob (Mike's brother) isn't really a main character on American Pickers and is rarely on. It's mostly still Mike and Frank picking with occasional scenes of the shops in Iowa and Tennessee.
Yeah, I totally misread what you typed.

American Pickers for the most part has stayed its course through its run, but they really did start laying it on thick with the Subway placement. For awhile there, wherever they were they always made sure to stop at Subway