Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The 90's: The Last Great Decade? (Nat Geo) -- 3 Night Event -- Premieres 7/06/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The 90's: The Last Great Decade? (Nat Geo) -- 3 Night Event -- Premieres 7/06/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The '90s: The Last Great Decade? revisits the decade through "inside out" storytelling and analysis via 120 original interviews—from unsung heroes behind the decade's most riveting stories to the biggest names in politics, tech, movies and music. They reveal a decade of highs and lows: Bill Clinton swept into office on the promise of change; we all made new "Friends"; the LA Riots kept us glued to our TVs; Nirvana gave Generation X a voice but everyone danced the Macarena; and "The Real World" and Jerry Springer changed the television programming landscape. With a star-studded cast of actors, eyewitnesses, politicians and celebrity interviewees, The '90s tells the story of 10 years before boom turned into bust; 10 years when the Web was wide open; 10 years before global terror hit hard.

They had us singing, laughing, crying, cheering and reflecting, sometimes all at the same time. They are the some of the most memorable faces and characters of a decade marked by political change, technological innovation, and grunge and pop music, and beginning Sunday, July 6, at 9 p.m. ET/PT, the National Geographic Channel (NGC) brings them all together for an unprecedented look back with The '90s: The Last Great Decade?, narrated by Rob Lowe. Following last year's critically acclaimed The '80s: The Decade That Made Us, NGC once again presents the defining documentary of a generation, this time exploring the meaning behind the milestones to determine if the '90s was in fact the last great decade. Featuring more than120 original interviews, the three-night event The '90s: The Last Great Decade? presents the decade's most unpredictable, unforgettable and unbelievable moments like no one has before.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Rob Lowe as Narrator (Voice)

Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="391" src="http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/the-90s-the-last-great-decade/videos/the-90s-the-last-great-decade-trailer/embed/" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Headsup!! Airs tonight on Nat Geo. 2 Hours per night over the next 3 nights.

This is the follow up to the 80s series that aired last year.
Old 07-06-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 90's: The Last Great Decade? (Nat Geo) -- 3 Night Event -- Premieres 7/06/14

Do you recommend the 80's series?

I set a recording for the 90s episodes.
Old 07-06-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The 90's: The Last Great Decade? (Nat Geo) -- 3 Night Event -- Premieres 7/06/14

Originally Posted by Raul3
Do you recommend the 80's series?

I set a recording for the 90s episodes.
Yes, I watched all the 80's episodes last year. I was very pleased they decided to follow up and do a 90's series as well.
Old 07-06-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm recording the 6 hour block on Saturday. Actually I think they're running 14 hours, with a repeat of the finale leading off before they run through the episodes in order twice, but still.
Old 07-06-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be watching this. The 80s series was pretty good.
Old 07-06-14, 11:37 PM

I watched the first episode. I thought it was ok, but it was a little too mixed up with the time frames. I didn't like a lot of the focus on the Clinton campaign.
Old 07-07-14, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
I watched the first episode. I thought it was ok, but it was a little too mixed up with the time frames. I didn't like a lot of the focus on the Clinton campaign.
That was something I didn't like about the 80s series. There didn't seem to be a timeline structure for what they were talking about and they would spend a lot of time on one topic, but then blow through three or four other topics. I recall at one point they spent a good 10-minute portion talking about Tony Hawk and skateboarding, but then blew through a bunch of other stuff that I think deserved more focus.

For all it's flaws, I did enjoy the 80s series last year and enjoyed last night's 90s episode. I do agree with you that more time than necessary was spent on the Clinton campaign. I think the show would present itself better if it went through the decade on a year-by-year basis instead of just rattling off topics.
Old 07-07-14, 01:28 PM
Banned

I don't mind the jumping around in time frames. Although they could have split up some of Clinton's stuff into the next two episodes. And there was no need to devote an entire segment to Vanilla Ice and Anna Nicole Smith. A mention like they did with the Fresh Prince would have been fine but 5-10 minutes on each of those was way too much.
Old 07-07-14, 11:07 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

It seems Vanilla Ice and Anna Nicole Smith were more important to the Nineties than the World Trade Center bombing in terms of time allotted. ('kay) But, otherwise, very enjoyable so far.
Old 07-08-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I will watch it but the 80's were better and I hated the 90's.

The 2000's are better than the 90's.

The NFL, Music, and Movies were ok but everything else about that decade sucked.
Old 07-08-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk God

I also just finished watching the first 2 hours.

I was a little disappointed. It was all over the place. Not really much cohesion. Just rambling of a bunch of topics as ^^^ someone mentioned earlier. Spent way too much time in Clinton. And I also think they spent way too much time on Vanilla Ice and Anna Nicole. Vanilla Ice ended up being one of the biggest jokes from the 90's. Then they go into Dahmer and the WTC bombing as sort of after thoughts towards the end.

They did a pretty decent job covering the LA riots. It was hard seeing that video of Reginald Denny getting his ass beaten by those thugs. I'm actually amazed they found one of the people who helped him.

I found most of it entertaining, but they could have done a better job starting out the series.
Old 07-08-14, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

After watching the first part, you can see that the 90's was the beginning of Reality meshing with TV, and how the culture changed because of that. The OJ chase, Nancy vs Tonya, Bill Clinton's affair Monica all played out on TV every night as Cable Shows would analyze them to no end. Bill Clinton going on Arsenio Hall set up all Presidential Candidates going on Saturday Night Live and Late Night Shows today. There are so many other instances that happened once in the 90's and the floodgates opened in the 2000's.

Its sad because the 90's set up the 2000's where reality TV came full circle, and now everything is tabloid today, and you can be a star like the Kardashians or John & Kate Plus 8 for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of relevance in our lives.
Old 07-08-14, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
After watching the first part, you can see that the 90's was the beginning of Reality meshing with TV, and how the culture changed because of that. The OJ chase, Nancy vs Tonya, Bill Clinton's affair Monica all played out on TV every night as Cable Shows would analyze them to no end. Bill Clinton going on Arsenio Hall set up all Presidential Candidates going on Saturday Night Live and Late Night Shows today. There are so many other instances that happened once in the 90's and the floodgates opened in the 2000's.

Its sad because the 90's set up the 2000's where reality TV came full circle, and now everything is tabloid today, and you can be a star like the Kardashians or John & Kate Plus 8 for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of relevance in our lives.
I'm genuinely surprised that there's still public interest in reality shows. With all the other fads that have come and gone over the years, I thought by this point reality shows would be on their way out, but it doesn't look like they're going anywhere. Hell, there's some stations that show nothing but reality shows.
Old 07-08-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
I'm genuinely surprised that there's still public interest in reality shows. With all the other fads that have come and gone over the years, I thought by this point reality shows would be on their way out, but it doesn't look like they're going anywhere. Hell, there's some stations that show nothing but reality shows.
Interest has waned somewhat; I don't think anything is getting the ratings of early hits like Survivor or early American Idol, but most of them are so cheap to make it's easy to stuff a schedule with them.

Also, the term "reality show" covers a whole span of different types of programming. There's the skill-based competitions (Top Chef, Project Runway), the more game-show competitions (Amazing Race, Survivor), and then different slice-of-life for either professions (Deadliest Catch, Axe Men) or just personalities (Kate Plus 8, Keeping up with the Kardashians).
Old 07-08-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
but most of them are so cheap to make it's easy to stuff a schedule with them.

I remember reading an article about 10 years ago and this was the reason that 'Reality Shows' will never die on TV. A big change in the industry was after the 6 Friends each threatened to be paid comparatively, and NBC ended up paying them each a million dollars an episode. If you think about it, the last big time sitcom star to get paid like that was Charlie Sheen, and he was fired from Two and Half Men.

Even if reality shows don't match the ratings of a Seinfeld and Friends, it is so cheap for the network to produce, and they can move on to something else if that person asks for more money.
Old 07-08-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

So will the 2000s be called "The decade where everything went to hell, and nothing has been the same ever since."
Old 07-08-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
So will the 2000s be called "The decade where everything went to hell, and nothing has been the same ever since."
Exactly:

9/11
The Financial Meltdown
The War in Iraq
The Housing Bubble
The Tech Bubble
Hurricane Katrina
Old 07-08-14, 03:28 PM

I watched the first hour of last night's episode live. I'll watch the rest later on my DVR. I thought the first hour was ok. Tonya Harding was probably happy to have been apart of these documentary in addition to others that came out this year.
Old 07-09-14, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope those people (animals) that beat up Reginald Denny have a special place in Hell reserved for them.

The first episode had too much of Bill Clinton which was boring.
Old 07-09-14, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I hope those people (animals) that beat up Reginald Denny have a special place in Hell reserved for them.
Info Wiki has:

Damian "Football" Williams, was charged with attempted murder, assault, and mayhem. In 1993, Williams was convicted of mayhem and misdemeanor assault and was sentenced to 10 years. In 1997, Williams was released for good behavior, but in 2003, he received a life sentence for the 2000 murder of Grover Tinner, a drug dealer.[3] He was sentenced to a minimum of 46 years, and is currently incarcerated at Calipatria State Prison.

Antoine "Twan" Miller, On February 1, 2004, at the age of 31, Miller was shot and killed in a Hollywood nightclub.

Henry Keith "Kiki" Watson, After he was freed from jail in 1993, he appeared on The Phil Donahue Show and apologized to Denny for the attacks. Later, he would serve three years in prison for a narcotics conviction. Fifteen years after the attacks, Watson said during an interview: "Nobody specifically sought out Reginald Denny to cause him any harm. We got caught up in the moment, just like everyone else." Watson also stated on a VH1 documentary of the L.A. Riots that he does not regret participating in the assault of Reginald Denny. As of 2007, Watson still lives in Los Angeles and operates his own limousine service.
Old 07-11-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was funny when Rob Lowe described the Macarena as a virus starting in Miami lol.

The 80's show was so much better and had stuff you wanted to remember and reminiscence.

I don't care about reliving OJ, Tonya and Nancy, Thelma and Louise, The Real World, and the lamest movie ever the Blair Witch Project.

Guess the people that worked on fixing the Y2K bug never got the credit they deserved.

This one they should have called the series the biography of Bill Clinton since that is all they talked about in every episode.