Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So You Think You Can Dance (FOX) -- Season 11 Thread -- Summer 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
So You Think You Can Dance (FOX) -- Season 11 Thread -- Summer 2014

GET READY FOR THE RETURN OF SUMMER'S FAVORITE SHOW ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" WEDNESDAY, MAY 28, ON FOX

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE soars into its 11th season this May with a two-hour premiere event showcasing America's most talented dancers during the audition rounds. In Season 11, producers travel across the country in search of dancers who represent the best America has to offer. Those who shine during auditions will be given a ticket to callbacks in Los Angeles, where they work with top choreographers to learn and then be judged on multiple styles of dance. Some dancers wow the judges, while others leave them speechless. See who struts into the judges' hearts and who trips up in the all-new "Auditions #1" Season Premiere episode of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE Wednesday, May 28 (8:00-10:00PM ET/PT) on FOX. (DAN-1101) (TV-14 D, L)

Host: Cat Deeley

Judges: Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy

For anyone who still watches. Remember it's only 1 episode per week (2 hours) like last season A good friend of mine is working on this season behind the scenes in the production staff. He starts when they hit the live shows.
Old 05-29-14, 09:17 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance (FOX) -- Season 11 Thread -- Summer 2014

Seemed like a lot less Cat in the audition round this time. Usually she's in there talking to every featured contestant but they seemed to have more 'off camera interviewers' last night.
Old 05-29-14, 05:34 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Bieber and the Dance Crew vote stuff has got to go. SYTYCD's Facebook page has been hit hard by the non-Beliebers.

Good to have this show back. It's a staple of our summer television as a family.
Old 08-07-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, this thread sure hasn't gotten a lot of action. Is anyone even watching the show? I'm only watching because a girl from here in the Indy area (Valerie) is in the top 10, and it would be nice to see her go all the way.
Old 08-07-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm watching as I do ever year!~ Faves are Casey and Ricky, Jessica and Tanisha. I never thought Valerie was as good as they made her out to be. She looked very exposed last night. Honestly, though, talented group this year. Loved a lot of the numbers, especially the group numbers.
Old 08-07-14, 03:29 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I are big fans of the show. We have even been to a few of the live tour shows which are great. However, it usually takes me until the end of the season before I know all of their names.

I will say that I don't like the way they have a celebrity judge each week. I liked the show better when they had the choreographers doing it. However the ballerina that did like 3 shows in a row is pretty good.

I still find it hard to believe how much I like this show. I have zero interest in dancing myself but I enjoy watching people that can dance well. I avoid Dancing with the Stars like the plague. I don't like watching people embarrass themselves.

Did Mia Michaels have a falling out with the show or something? She is never on. Maybe she is jealous that Sonja is the most popular choreographer now.
Old 08-07-14, 09:06 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

This show is one of my favorites, mainly to watch the beautiful athletic women, and the contemporary style of dance. I haven't really connected with any specific dancer this season though, and I find myself fast forwarding through all of the judges comments.

Some of my favorite performances off the top of my head:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2CtX5YM8Sqc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LvSaGBD2YTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yFsOx2QI_4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ICXa7_cM3YE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-08-14, 12:15 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I just read they are doing two winners again this season. I'm still not sold on this. Since the change I can never remember who actually won... hell, I barely remember Eliana and Chehon at all, let alone that they are winners. Yet I remember all the winners from the single-winner seasons... which is a constant reminder of the injustice of Kathryn not winning season 6.
Old 08-08-14, 04:42 PM

I still watch it every week.

I'm not a fan of two things:

1) That there are two winners.

2) That during the Top 10, the people voted off have to work at learning a new routine and perform even though there is no hope of saving them at the end of the show.
Old 08-09-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
2) That during the Top 10, the people voted off have to work at learning a new routine and perform even though there is no hope of saving them at the end of the show.
Mitigated somewhat by the fact that they're professional dancers who get their expenses covered for that week, get to continue hanging out with the group, get training with high-level choreographers and another dancer for that week, and get to showcase their skills in front of millions of people. They'd probably gladly pay for what they're getting for free.
Old 08-09-14, 05:38 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I only enjoy watching the auditions and vegas week nowadays, i stop watching when the show starts proper

I do miss ABDC even though the judges were annoying
Old 08-09-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

There's only one winner this year.
Old 08-28-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Don't know who's still watching this, but has anyone chosen a winner from the final four? I've been rooting, and voting, for Valerie, but I think it's going to be a toss-up between Ricky and Jessica. It's great that the tappers have made it this far and have been busting their asses in all these different dance styles, but I think overall Ricky and Jessica are the better dancers. And if I was to call it between those two, I would give it to Jessica. She's come from having to save herself, then be in the bottom of the voting only to have the judges save her, to making it to the top four and have Nigel gush last night about how much she's progressed as not only a dancer but as an actress, expressing herself very well in the numbers she's performed on. I have to agree. BUT, I also think that Tanisha was a better dancer then Jessica, and shouldn't have been voted off. Great dancer and killer body, but I think having the face of a cocker spaniel may have been her downfall.
Old 08-29-14, 10:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I think Ricky is the overall favorite... he has the winning blend of likability, raw ability, and performance starpower. The only thing that might hurt him is the "too good" factor... sometimes the fans don't rally for the dancers who have been consistent front runners.

Valerie may be a dark horse for her likability and girl-next-door underdog charm. She's grown considerably and voters often reward that.

Jessica is great to watch and she's had a compelling journey through the competition, yet she seemingly struggled to connect with viewers early on for whatever reason, losing partners and getting lost in the sea of girls for awhile. She's made a hell of a comeback in the tail end of the competition, however. Will it be enough?

Zack seems like a nice kid, but he's a bit more reserved than his fellow competitors. He's been fairly consistent. I'm just not sure he has the momentum to win it all.
Old 08-29-14, 02:39 PM

My humble opinion-
Zach is an amazing tapper. His solo and his duet with Aaron was jaw dropping. He puts Valerie's tap to shame.
Ricky is a phenom. He can move his body into shapes that are visually amazing. He is technically perfect and likeable. He should win this show, and choreographers will be knocking his door down.
Jessica is also an amazing dancer. She could win, but the reason some don't like her is the MacKenzie factor. She is to beautiful and sexy for some. Based on the comments I have read. It's a shame. She connects with me and takes on all styles.
Valerie has the cutesy factor, but she danced to young for me. It was like watching a the competitions I used to go to with my daughter when she was that age. Much better than recital dancing but nowhere on the level she should be on to win this show. She was sloppy in her technique but I know she is very popular. I think she made it this far solely based on the fact she was paired with Ricky early on.

Tanisha was my favorite dancer and I really don't know why she didn't connect with the audience. She looked stunning when she was dancing.

I thought it was a great season. This will be my 5th tour I will see. Loved last year, and really thought you couldn't top it, but I personally have more favorite numbers this year. The group numbers have been great. Excited to see it.
Old 08-29-14, 10:46 PM

Still watching. I think that Ricky will win, but I think that for the first time ever, I'm good with any of the four winning.
Old 08-30-14, 06:24 AM
Political Exile

Yeah, Daniel Radcliffe has been the strongest dancer since his first audition. His only weakness maybe would be that he is a little scrawny, but he is only 18. I enjoyed almost all of the performances this week, maybe I'm tired of the bollywood numbers, but even that was watchable with the two girls performing.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6mxWB-fLjAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mw4dfIdCXz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-03-14, 11:08 PM

Tonight's results...
Spoiler:
4. Zack
Spoiler:
3. Jessica
Spoiler:
2. Valerie
Spoiler:
1. Ricky is America's Favorite Dancer!!!
Old 09-04-14, 09:54 AM

No surprise about Ricky. Amazing dancer. Phenom.
Gotta say I was surprised Valerie came out on top of Jessica. I understand the likeability factor, but I never connected to Valerie's dancing. The Vow and If I Go, two of Jessica's dances, were some of the most powerful dances I think even through all the seasons of SYTYCD. Either way, it was a great season, great dances and I'm excited for the tour.
Old 11-17-14, 09:46 PM
Political Exile

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/17/so...nce-renewed-2/

The dance competition series will look a bit different when it returns next summer, featuring a new “stage vs street” format, in which dancers will be divided into two teams. Street dancers include those trained in hip-hop, animation, or breaking, while stage dancers include those trained in contemporary, ballet, jazz, or tap. The top 20 will be composed of 10 street dancers and 10 stage dancers, and once the live episodes come, one dancer from each genre will be eliminated each week.
Old 11-18-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting. Each year they seem to want to shake it up a bit. Here's hoping they DON'T do the Justin Beiber group dancer/Twitter thing again.
Old 11-18-14, 11:33 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad it was renewed, but this format sounds strange to me. 'Stage vs street' seems to indicate the two sides are competing against each other, but if one person from each genre is eliminated each week then it's really like they are holding two simultaneous competitions where contestants are competing with those in their own genre... I'm guessing they will merge them all into one field once they get to the top 10 or something.

Also, I wonder if this means they are getting rid of the equal boy and girl quotas. Since previously one boy and one girl would go home each week... now that they are doing it by 'stage' or 'street' I can't see how they could *also* work gender into that equation. Lopsided gender numbers don't have as much bearing on things like hip hop, contemporary, or tap, but would effect ballroom and Latin styles. They oddly don't specifically mention ballroom or Latin in the description, so maybe they are cutting them out of the show... which would be a big mistake.