Old 03-08-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: Last Show You Binged?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yup, it's a great show!
I actually
Spoiler:
yelled "You Motherfuckers" at the To Be Continued at the screen. I didn't know it wasn't contained to one season and wasn't paying attention to how much time was left in the last episode.
Old 03-10-18, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watched a few episodes of Timeless last night since it's coming back on this weekend. Liked the show, just found it too deep and sinister for its own good. Will be interesting what they do this season which I assume will be a quickie 16 and done.
Old 03-10-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Speaking of time travel shows: I ran through season 3 of Quantum Leap. The show really hit its stride and started experimenting a lot more. Starting with The Leap Home/Vietnam two parter and ending with Shock Theater where Sam leaps into a mental institution where he is breaking from reality and thinks he is previous leapees. This leads into Sam & Al switching roles which made for a fun season 4 premier. Then there is the classic Future Boy episode which tackles "quantum leaping" 30 years before Sam invented it. Then there was the Stephen King inspired Halloween episode where a young budding Steve King is a character. We get to finally see the Quantum Leap base, the Imaging Chamber, Gooshie, Ziggy and learn of Sam's wife Donna. Plus there was a lot more for Dean Stockwell to do this season which was a huge plus. He got to interact with more people, helping solve a crime using a kid, playing the ghost of Christmas Future, and "bringing" Dr. Beeks into the Imaging Chamber to become a hologram with him to help Sam. Sam saving lives was always the heart and charm of the show, but Al is definitely the rabbit's foot and brought so much humor to what could have been a simple non-demanding role.

It's been so long since I've seen this show all the way through. I have to think this was the pinnacle season, it was just firing on all cylinders. We've also run through about 4 episodes of season 4 (including the Chimp episode) and I just can't imagine the show reaching the creative highs it did in season 3.

I also finished season 1 of Travelers. I'm having a similar problem with this show as the first season of Game of Thrones. It seems so small scale. In GoT you'd have a scene where one character claims, "I have 10k troops outside this tent ready to fight!" but said character never steps outside that tent (budget!) so we don't see it until season 2 and on. Lots of small scenes talking about a larger scope. Of course GoT is bouyed by ridiculous production values, casting and tight plotting making this a small issue and you just forget about it.

Travelers is very similar as the plot is centered around a large scale extinction event and the people that travel back in time to stop it. What we got is a small scale show with people just running around present day doing menial tasks to stop said extinction. We never get to see the larger picture, just the small pieces. Unfotunately this show doesn't have the production, cast or plotting of a GoT to distract from what you aren't seeing.

Also part of the premise bugs me. The whole point of "leaping" into someone before they die is to limit the damage to the timeline. That's the rule set forth on the show. However, wouldn't sticking around in their hosts' bodies for any extended period of time do equal damage to the timeline? Take any person that was supposed to die, the traveler leaps in and now everyone associated with that character has an altered timeline. So originally person X dies and their wife moves on, maybe meets someone and inspires them to cure cancer (extreme example). Now with a traveler in that hosts body, the person never dies and the wife never moves on and doesn't meet and inspire the person to cure cancer. I know... time travel, roll with it. There just seems to be something missing in this set of rules.

I haven't started season 2 yet. Does it get any "grander?" Do we see the future or anything on a large scale?

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Watched a few episodes of Timeless last night since it's coming back on this weekend. Liked the show, just found it too deep and sinister for its own good. Will be interesting what they do this season which I assume will be a quickie 16 and done.
I liked the concept of Timeless but there was just something about the show that didn't work for me. It just never felt like they were time travelling. Look at Quantum Leap, when Sam went back in time you absolutely felt like you were in whatever era he was in that episode. Amazing production values and set designers knew what they were doing. In Timeless everything is so slick and "new" and over produced. Wherever they went it just felt like actors on a sound stage in front of a green screen.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 03-10-18 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I actually
Spoiler:
yelled "You Motherfuckers" at the To Be Continued at the screen. I didn't know it wasn't contained to one season and wasn't paying attention to how much time was left in the last episode.

Yup, but thankfully, it will continue with season 2.
Old 03-10-18, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Over the last two weeks I binged seasons 1 and 2 of Graves starring Nick Nolte and Sela Ward. Twenty episodes at thirty minutes each wasn't too much of a commitment. I enjoyed it but it seems like no one else watched it.
Old 03-10-18, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Hard Sun Series 1

Wish this hadn't been so damn boring.
Old 03-11-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Jessica Jones season 2
Old 03-12-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Happy! - Syfy. I had watched episodes 2-4 several weeks back and I had the final 4 eps sitting on my Tivo so I decided to try and finish the series up on Saturday and succeeded. I enjoyed the heck out of this bugnuts crazy show that was at times action packed, emotional, and gross in the same episode.

For those who have it on their DVRs and are looking to find the right time to watch I say go for it...it has an actual ending so even though there will be a season 2 you get closure. Did I mention this series was certifiably insane?

Christopher Meloni is a national treasure.

Also, one of the show runners directed the first two Crank films.
Old 03-12-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Kinda Binging "7 Seconds" on Neflix right now. Kinda because I'm only watching 2 to 3 eps at a time.
Old 03-12-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Buffy The Vampire Slayers season 1,2 and 3.
Old 03-19-18, 10:28 AM

Mom. I am 3 episodes from being caught up on the current season after watching episodes 2 - 12 (almost done w/ep 12) yesterday.
Old 03-19-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Just finished season 4 of Person of Interest. The absence of Shaw in the latter half of the season is a negative, but I do like how the main team is 'on the ropes' this season and I like that the story is all-in on the long-form arc. One more (short) season left!
Old 03-20-18, 10:50 AM

I am all caught up with Mom, and boy although I saw it coming the show went dark pretty quick with Jill losing all her weight only to fall of the wagon hard. Also, I am glad that Baxter is still a part of show as a little of Baxter goes a long way.
Old 03-23-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Four episodes of Ancient Aliens, Season 5
Old 03-23-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

Altered Carbon season 1
Shannara Chronicles season 2
Old 03-26-18, 11:07 AM

The Detour - I watched the last 5 episodes. Nice to be caught up since the final episode of the season airs this week.

iZombie - Watched all four of this seasons episodes. Again, nice to be caught up when there was the danger of falling behind. I still really like/love this show and feel that now that Zombies are public knowledge the show still has some entertaining stories to tell. Liv inhabiting the brains of that rich but bigoted socialite was hilarious when she opens the back seat of Clive's car and expects him to be her chauffeur. Also, the socialites demise by golf ball was gross yet funny as heck, fore indeed.
Old 03-31-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Amazing Race Season 30
A Series of Unfortunate Events Season 2
Old 03-31-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I binged all of season 1(7 eps) of Rules of Engagement in one sitting. I never watched it when it was on but have been catching episodes on cable here and there late at night. I was kinda bummed, as I had apparently already seen all 7.
Old 03-31-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I binged through the Hulu exclusive show, Future Man. It starts out ok (I watch the first 3 episodes and quit for a while. And then a week after when recovering from wisdom tooth surgery, I picked it back up and binged through the rest as it just grows on you. It takes every imaginable 80s trope you can think of and gives it a friendly tweak. The episode that pokes fun at James Cameron specifically is especially well thought out.
Old 04-02-18, 01:38 PM

Santa Clarita Diet Season 2 - Netflix. I enjoyed this a whole lot as much as if not more so than Season 1. Nathan Fillion was great in this.

Alexa & Katie - Netflix. What...don't look at me like that, maybe in my past life I was a teenage girl.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 04-02-18 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Jane the Virgin.

Had a marathon last night to get caught up.

Some truly moving episodes recently. It doesn't draw enough attention here to comment in the thread (dead), but it's a really underrated show.
Old 04-02-18, 06:15 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Blew through Santa Clarita Diet last week, and am working my thru Lemony Snicket this week.
Old 04-03-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Santa Clarita Diet Season 2
Old 04-03-18, 01:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Hap and Leonard Season 2 (though only 6 episodes)
Old 04-03-18, 04:38 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Counterpart: S1

It's enjoyable, but not as good as I was hoping it'd be. JK Simmons helps it immensely, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.