Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

“The Daily Show with Jon Stewart’s” Larry Wilmore has been tapped to host “The Minority Report with Larry Wilmore,” a new Comedy Central show to air in the 11:30 p.m. Monday to Thursday timeslot currently occupied by soon-to-be “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert.

“The Minority Report” premieres in January and promises to “offer a comedic look at news, current events and pop culture from unique perspectives not typically on display in late night television.” It was created by Jon Stewart and will be produced by Stewart’s Busboy Prods., with Stewart and Wilmore serving as exec producers."

Variety.com

I have to say I do like his delivery and I usually find his take on things as 'Senior Black Correspondent' pretty funny. And while I'm sure there will be a bit of the same ol' set up - video clip - punchline during the show, I hope he'll bring something new to the game. I think that format is getting a little stale.
Old 05-09-14, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: 'The Minority Report with Larry Wilmore' to follow Daily Show in January

Eh. I really would have preferred they skewed younger with a comic like Hannibal Burress. There's already TDS, Last Week Tonight, and I'm sure Colbert's new show will be just like his current one, only without the character. This really just seems more of the same.
Old 05-09-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So will this be a funny version of Totally Biased?
Old 05-09-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
So will this be a funny version of Totally Biased?
It couldn't be less funny...
Old 05-12-14, 11:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

The only person who I like less is Lewis Black. Out of the Stewart family of folks. I won't be watching this.
Old 05-13-14, 08:26 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't they do something like this with David Alan Grier a few years ago?
Old 05-14-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Didn't they do something like this with David Alan Grier a few years ago?
"Chocolate News," although that was only weekly and was more of a sketch show disguised as a news magazine show.
Old 05-15-14, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'll give it a chance. Hell, nobody probably thought Colbert's spinoff would work either.
Old 05-15-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I normally find his segments just okay on TDS, I'll give it a shot. But yeah, as of right now it's not news I care much about. Let me enjoy my Colbert Report while I have it.
Old 01-20-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Maybe we can get a title change for the thread since they dropped the original name.

I thought the premiere was pretty good, if not a little rough around the edges (which is to be expected I guess). I liked how it wasn't just another Daily Show, and that he went in the Bill Maher direction with having a panel.

Keep it 100 was pretty good
Old 01-20-15, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, a little rough but good. I hate to say it now that the black guy gets a show, but I think I'm getting a little burnt out on another show with the headline-riffing-behind-a-desk format. I'm glad he has a panel for 2/3 of it, plus Keep it 100.
Old 01-20-15, 05:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

i'm watching it now...not bad.
Old 01-22-15, 12:55 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

I just watched the 1st and 2nd episodes back to back.

I really like the panel segment and Keep it 100.

I already like this show better than Colbert Report.
Old 01-22-15, 01:40 AM

My brother and I gave up 10 minutes into the first episode.
Old 01-22-15, 02:42 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

A late show where they have one theme and only one theme EVERY night? How's that going to work for 10 years or so?

Even In Living Color took time to address other things besides the African American experience (which isn't to say that's not important).
Old 01-22-15, 05:41 AM

I wish Wilmore would have better enunciation.
Old 01-22-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I gave the show a shot last night, but it was exactly as I expected. A liberal host, a mostly liberal audience, and 3 liberal or democrat panelists along with the token republican panelist everyone mocks in the crowd. No interest at all.
Old 01-22-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I gave the show a shot last night, but it was exactly as I expected. A liberal host, a mostly liberal audience, and 3 liberal or democrat panelists along with the token republican panelist everyone mocks in the crowd. No interest at all.
Yes, how odd that a show from the creators of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report has a liberal bias.
Old 01-22-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Yes, how odd that a show from the creators of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report has a liberal bias.
Its a shame that they don't realize you alienate 1/2 the country with shows like this. Its a free country so they can continue to have their liberal shows like this, I'm just saying they would grab a bigger audience if they had balanced panels and didn't lean either way politically. I'm a conservative, but I would be just as annoyed if they had Dennis Miller hosting a show with a conservative audience and 3 republican on the panel with a token democrat.
Old 01-22-15, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a shame that they don't realize you alienate 1/2 the country with shows like this. Its a free country so they can continue to have their liberal shows like this, I'm just saying they would grab a bigger audience if they had balanced panels and didn't lean either way politically. I'm a conservative, but I would be just as annoyed if they had Dennis Miller hosting a show with a conservative audience and 3 republican on the panel with a token democrat.
You must really hate Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, etc
Old 01-22-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
No, we are all supposed to forget that Fox News invented, honed, and crafted alienating and unabashed biased "journalism".

That being said, I can't see myself watching this too much. I don't think I can take watching a show that's solely based on race. It's just tiring anymore.
Old 01-22-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Yes.

They are just as bad as they play to their conservative base of fans. Shows like RedEye, The Five, Outnumbered on FOXNews are all panel shows like Bill Mahers and Larry Wilmore, but the difference is they are stacked with Conservatives and 1 token democrat.

Frankly, ALL of these show are unwatchable and the people who watch them are mostly partisan sheep who just want to hear their ideology every night without hearing the other side. Trust me, I have conservative friends who watch Fox, listen Limbaugh, go on Drudge everyday, and I have liberal friends who watch MSNBC, Maher, Stewart, Colbert, and go on Huffington Post everyday. I honestly don't talk politics with ANY of them because they are so jaded from watching these shows they can't even think anyone would disagree with their ideology.
Old 01-22-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its a shame that they don't realize you alienate 1/2 the country with shows like this.
There's still plenty of audience left for that viewpoint. And a "balanced" panel typically comes off as a toothless panel, or worse, just a shouting match. See CNN's cancelled Crossfire.

Comedy relies heavily on a point of view, so I'd rather have a comedy show that reflects the viewpoint of host rather than try to appease everyone.
Old 01-22-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Comedy relies heavily on a point of view, so I'd rather have a comedy show that reflects the viewpoint of host rather than try to appease everyone.
No doubt there is a market for Fox, MSNBC, Stewart, Maher, etc. Trust me, I'm in the minority out there who doesn't want a partisan point of view on every network/show, but its the way things have gone for the past 10 years as it sadly reflects the public these days..

I honestly never heard of Larry Wilmore, so I gave the show a shot last night hoping that someday a comedian can host one of these political shows and they go after the republicans and democrats equally. I understand every person has some political ideology, but I grew up watching Johnny Carson (from the 1980's on and he went after EVERY politican in his monologue equally and you never knew his political views cause he didn't want to alienate half of the country.
Old 01-22-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trust me, I'm in the minority out there who doesn't want a partisan point of view on every network/show...
Nobody said every show has to be partisan, and there's certainly a place for a resonable bi-partisan panel show on TV, just not maybe one geared towards comedy.

I understand every person has some political ideology, but I grew up watching Johnny Carson (from the 1980's on and he went after EVERY politican in his monologue equally and you never knew his political views cause he didn't want to alienate half of the country.
Carson's jabs were apolitical, just like the rest of the major network late night hosts. The jokes are based on general characteristics of a politician (Dan Quale is dumb, Clinton was overweight), or about specific scandals (Monica Lewinsky, Watergate, etc). No jokes about actual policy or legislation.

I expect Colbert's jokes on Late Show to be similarly apolitical.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.