TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Project Greenlight -- Season 4 Thread - returning to HBO -- 9/13/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Project Greenlight -- Season 4 Thread - returning to HBO -- 9/13/15

Anyone watch episode 2?

As if there was any doubt that the movie for a series called Project Greenlight would get greenlit

It sounds like a move for the best to get away from the "Not Another Pretty Woman" script. That never sounded particularly good to me, not to mention being completely outside the style of the director they picked. He's getting to make to his own script now. Maybe time to stop the crying about having to shoot digitally.
Old 09-21-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm just not feeling it this season. I know the drama has always been contrived, but this season it is so obvious they set up this guy to fail.
Old 09-24-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Really? I'm getting pissed off at how much they are catering to his every whim to get him to succeed.
Old 09-24-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^Really? I'm getting pissed off at how much they are catering to his every whim to get him to succeed.
Yeah, letting him do his own script was a huge concession which goes against what the established rules of this season were supposed to be.
Old 09-25-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ive been enjoying this, happy to have it back
Old 09-25-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Does anyone think Elfie is kind of annoying?
Old 09-25-15, 06:34 PM

I did get his point, why not fight for his chance to shoot on film? He seemed so bent on that , if you throw him that bone, maybe he yields elsewhere, now it could be a battle for her ...
Old 09-25-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brainee
I had to laugh at Pete Jones during the casting process. He's thinking he's going to get all these top stars in his movie, asking for scripts to be sent to A listers like Sean Penn. And Pete seemed genuinely shocked when told "Sean Penn passed on it".
Pete Jones came off as so incompetent during the first season. I'm not surprised the winner of this season wanted someone else on his project.
Old 09-26-15, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I just watched this tonight and I found that really annoying. For an unknown director, he's being a pretty big pain in the ass.

The only thing that they seem firm on is shooting the film in digital vs. film due to the budget constraints.

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I did get his point, why not fight for his chance to shoot on film? He seemed so bent on that , if you throw him that bone, maybe he yields elsewhere, now it could be a battle for her ...
One of the big rules for the contest is to stay on budget. They are only giving him $3M and they would blow most of it on film. It would be ridiculous for HBO to make a concession to him and give him more money because he thinks it would be better creatively. He needs to suck it up and realize this is essentially a low budget made for TV movie.
Old 09-26-15, 09:19 AM

I wonder if he shot his shorts on film?
Old 09-26-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Pete Jones came off as so incompetent during the first season. I'm not surprised the winner of this season wanted someone else on his project.
Of course, the director ought to then wonder how he's being portrayed, since I find myself pleased when they tell him "no".
Old 09-26-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I get that he's a perfectionist, but still he's awful hard to root for considering how ungrateful he seems with this opportunity. I kept waiting for somebody at HBO to go full rant on Jason and yell "You're making a fucking TV movie. Nobody's made a TV movie on film since Roots. We shoot fucking Game of Thrones on three continents on Digital! If digital is good enough for David Nutter, Rian Johnson and Michelle MacLaren, it's good enough for whoever the fuck you are!".
Was pretty surprised everyone was okay with switching the script at the last minute. That other one must have really sucked.
Old 09-26-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Jason's script sounds kind of like The Brothers Bloom.
Old 09-28-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Does anyone think Elfie is kind of annoying?
Apparently Peter Farrelly does.

I was mostly on Effie's side--she's just trying to keep everything in line while dealing with a stubborn, inexperienced director and several bigwigs trying to get their say. Having them undermine her work has got to be frustrating. On the other hand, she did seem to be spoiling for a fight before that call from Farrelly.

The editing of the show seemed to lean toward portraying her as being difficult, which makes me wonder if she'll leave or be replaced. However, it won't surprise me if next week everyone puts on fake smiles and makes up and moves forward.

How many episodes are there going to be?
Old 09-28-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm rewatching season one right now. Pete wasn't thinking he would get a lot of A listers. He acknowledged several times that Sean Penn was a "Hail Mary" long shot, but didn't think it would hurt to try.

He also didn't come across as incompetent (to me, at least), just inexperienced and unsure of his authority to wrangle producers, for good reason. They made Jeff Bailey (co-producer working for Chris Moore) seem like much more of a fuckup than anyone else. Obviously they play up the bad moments for drama, because a smooth shoot is not interesting television for most people.
Old 09-28-15, 11:46 AM

I've gotta say, Effie sure looked like she was ready for a fight the minute Peter called her. Bummer too because Peter was pretty entertaining and the third-biggest name involved with this production.
Watching the Inside The Episode bit at the end it sure looks like Peter left and didn't come back. That Executive Producer seemed pretty sore at Effie to this day.

Also wasn't terribly surprised that Effie, spokesperson for diversity hired a nearly all-African American crew for Jason to work with. Probably all the same people who worked with her on Dear White People. I'm fine with that, she has the ability to hire people she's worked with before. I just don't know why she wanted to do this show. She seems to hate every minute of working with Jason.

Clearly she knows what she's doing. You may not be aware of this, but she's made over seventeen movies.
Old 09-28-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
I've gotta say, Effie sure looked like she was ready for a fight the minute Peter called her. Bummer too because Peter was pretty entertaining and the third-biggest name involved with this production.
Watching the Inside The Episode bit at the end it sure looks like Peter left and didn't come back. That Executive Producer seemed pretty sore at Effie to this day.
I hope this is just blown-out-of-proportion reality tv drama, and Peter is coaxed back. I can't really blame Jason for wanting to talk to Peter about this (even after Effie said no). Peter's role was supposed to be his mentor. To Jason, Effie is a line producer who's main job is to keep the movie on time and on budget. Peter is a creative writer/director with over 20 years in the business of making comedies. Who's creative opinion do you think is going to hold more weight to Jason?

BTW, have any of you had to deal with people who, like Effie, constantly use "polite" phrases so dripping with sarcasm that it comes across as being more insulting than someone just saying "fuck you" to your face? Drives me friggin' nuts ... fully sympathize with Peter here. Especially since he doesn't have any reason to have to put up with this shit.

Also wasn't terribly surprised that Effie, spokesperson for diversity hired a nearly all-African American crew for Jason to work with.
Yeah, as soon as I saw all the crew I was immediately thinking "Effie got her diversity in the end"

Clearly she knows what she's doing. You may not be aware of this, but she's made over seventeen movies.
I don't think I've heard this mentioned on the show. But it's an important fact and needs to be repeated every week!

Last edited by brainee; 09-28-15 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Name one off the top of your head. The Farrellys have been much more successful and she needs to remember that. They clearly know what they are doing as well.
Old 09-28-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Effie Brown has a lot of credits but when your most famous work is still a rather small indie (Dear White People) you don't really have the privileged to be an egomaniac.
Old 09-28-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Name one off the top of your head. The Farrellys have been much more successful and she needs to remember that. They clearly know what they are doing as well.
The Farrely's definitely know what they are doing. But when it comes to producing micro budget films I would say she probably has more experience than they do. Thats probably why she was hired.

I think their interactions started to go sour when Farrelly remarked on the phone that finding a location isnt a big deal and it should be simple. She obviously took offense to that and the relationship went downhill from there.
Old 09-28-15, 06:47 PM

Also wasn't terribly surprised that Effie, spokesperson for diversity hired a nearly all-African American crew for Jason to work with. Probably all the same people who worked with her on Dear White People. I'm fine with that, she has the ability to hire people she's worked with before. I just don't know why she wanted to do this show. She seems to hate every minute of working with Jason.

17 you don't say

I didn't mind Effie.. Until this week, wow that was a harsh edit or she is a harsh person..

I mean Farrell's seemed like a nice guy who was doing his job, he caught her on the wrong day for sure, but he was doing them a favor by calling, he didn't have to do that... She is way out of whack...

I can't blame him for getting out ASAP.

Great show again!
Old 09-28-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Are you sure of that number? I don't think I heard how many. Maybe she will say it again next week so we can all be sure.

And I just glanced over her filmography on the imdb. Only thing I have ever heard of and have seen is "But I'm A Cheerleader" which was one of her earliest films. I recognized nothing else in between that and "Dear White People."
Old 09-28-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
And I just glanced over her filmography on the imdb. Only thing I have ever heard of and have seen is "But I'm A Cheerleader" which was one of her earliest films. I recognized nothing else in between that and "Dear White People."
"In the Cut" looks to be her most high profile movie (that's the Jane Campion movie with Meg Ryan against type). Though that was over 10 years ago. Most of the filmography are this series of shorts with a woman's name as the title.
Old 09-28-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
"In the Cut" looks to be her most high profile movie (that's the Jane Campion movie with Meg Ryan against type). Though that was over 10 years ago. Most of the filmography are this series of shorts with a woman's name as the title.
Yeah those are all those "Web Series" that Fox made (watchwigs)
Old 09-29-15, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
17 you don't say
Nope, I said OVER seventeen. Could be thirty, could be fifty.
Probably is eighteen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.