Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Blunt Talk (Starz) - Series Thread - S: Patrick Stewart, C: Jonathan Ames

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blunt Talk (Starz) - Series Thread - S: Patrick Stewart, C: Jonathan Ames

Blunt Talk, a live-action comedy series from Seth MacFarlane and Bored to Death creator Jonathan Ames starring Patrick Stewart, has landed at Starz with a 20-episode, straight-to-series, two-season order for a 2015 premiere.

Blunt Talk is a character-driven comedy revolving around Walter Blunt (Patrick Stewart), a British import intent on conquering the world of American cable news. Through the platform of his nightly interview show, Blunt is on a mission to impart his wisdom and guidance on how Americans should live, think and behave. Besieged by network bosses, a dysfunctional news staff, numerous ex-wives and children of all ages, Blunt’s only support is the alcoholic manservant he transplanted from the U.K. to join him in Los Angeles. The series follows the fallout from Blunt’s well-intentioned, but mostly misguided decision-making, both on and off the air.

Ames, who originated the idea for the series, will serve as executive producer and as writer and showrunner. MacFarlane and Fuzzy Door Prods also serve as executive producer; Stewart will be a producer.

“In the character of Walter Blunt, Seth, Jonathan and Patrick have found the alchemy that makes a borderline alcoholic, mad-genius-Brit the man you want fighting in America’s corner,” Starz’s Chris Albrecht said. “Seth and Jonathan have struck the right balance between biting wit and outright absurdity in building this world, and we cannot wait for Patrick to breathe life into Walter.”

Blunt Talk expands Stewart’s relationship with MacFarlane from MacFarlane’s animated show American Dad to live-action comedy. “My career took an abrupt and radical left turn when Seth McFarlane created CIA Deputy Director Avery Bullock on American Dad,” Stewart said. “This new character, Walter Blunt, is not at all like Avery, thank God, because this is live action and I am a Knight of the Realm. Blunt is, however, much smarter than Avery and has his own TV show, which has to be better than being Deputy Director of the CIA.”

Starz will retain all domestic multiplatform rights including television, home entertainment and digital.
Source
Old 04-29-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
re: Blunt Talk (Starz) - Series Thread - S: Patrick Stewart, C: Jonathan Ames

Really liked Bored to Death and who doesn't love Patrick Stewart. Even my appreciation of MacFarlane has grown the last couple of years.

Only concern is burn-out from there already being so many shows set behinds the scenes of television. I know writers like to write what they know, but I'd like to see a show about something other than show-biz. Ricky Gervais really had it right when he picked the setting and characters for Derek.
Old 04-29-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Ames and Stewart? Of course I will give it a shot.
Old 04-30-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like Patrick Stewart and I'll give this a chance next year.
Old 01-23-15, 04:02 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O1CApziAXbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-23-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Bored to Death was fantastic and cancelled much too soon and Patrick Stewart is one of my favorite actors ever so I'm interested. Even MacFarlane who I don't always like I've grown to somewhat appreciate. I'm not the biggest fan of Family Guy but American Dad! is actually pretty great. I didn't start watching it much until recently but I think that's the best series he's created. Both of his films thus far have been pretty entertaining too.
Old 03-27-15, 02:01 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RLBPSSVVOe4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-22-15, 08:35 AM

Re: Blunt Talk (Starz) - Series Thread - S: Patrick Stewart, C: Jonathan Ames

Begins tonight, 8/22/15. 10 episode first season.
Old 08-22-15, 11:29 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

not getting such great reviews. i have the DVR set, but seems disappointing...
You'll have more fun slapping yourself in the head with a spoon for a half-hour.
Full Review… | August 21, 2015
Mark A. Perigard
Boston Herald
Old 08-22-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I watched the first 2 episodes a couple of days ago on Directv's On Demand and I thought it was hilarious. I can't see how anyone could give it a bad review unless they were just offended by it. Stewart is perfect in the role and I know he's having fun with it. And he's 75 years old! I read somewhere that he is doing most of his own stunts. He is fantastic shape. Everyone should check it out. It's so funny.
Old 08-23-15, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Barnes & Noble is giving away a free DVD sampler of this show's first two episodes in their media section.
Old 08-23-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Watched the first episode earlier. I thought it was ok. The part of Blunt interviewing himself was funny and I also like the butler/friend character.
Old 09-07-15, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the first episode was ok. The few episodes after the pilot haven't much captured my interest. I think I might drop it, even though I love Stewart.
Old 09-07-15, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I only watched the pilot (don't get Starz anymore; why pay $150 a year for channels I rarely watch?) but it didn't really grab me the way it should.

Going into it, I though Walter Blunt was going to a bigger blowhard asshole than he was. I just didn't find the character terribly compelling, sympathetic, funny, or interesting.
Old 10-02-16, 08:44 AM

The second season premiere of the hit comedy series "Blunt Talk" entitled "I Remember That Time More Like a Movie I Saw Than a Life I Lived" will debut on Sunday, October 2 at 8:35PM ET/PT. Walter Blunt and his team are on top of the network ratings when Walter runs into an old flame, in town to investigate a conspiracy involving one of Los Angeles' most crucial environmental threats. Rosalie, Jim, Celia, Martin, and Shelly (with all their various neuroses intact) are by Walter's side as he delves into his past, which leads him into a web of intrigue affecting the future of LA. The upcoming season of "Blunt Talk" will include ten half-hour episodes.
Old 12-20-16, 12:56 PM

Cancelled: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ebook_20161220
Old 12-20-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

Oh well. At least the show had a proper ending, and Walter's crusade ended on a high note; even though the Cornelia character never came back again.