Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Crossbones (NBC) -- S: John Malkovich as Blackbeard -- From the creator of Luther

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Crossbones (NBC) -- S: John Malkovich as Blackbeard -- From the creator of Luther

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Trailer:

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/NnzsPC/widget/select/VSSRHRPsJuZ_?form=html" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" seamless="seamless" allowFullScreen></iframe>

From Neil Cross, the award-winning creator of "Luther," comes "Crossbones," a compelling new one-hour drama filled with extraordinary action, adventure and intrigue - set in a world where one can never be sure just who is hero and who is villain.

It's 1729. On the secret island of Santa Compana, Edward Teach, better known as the barbarous pirate Blackbeard (Emmy winner John Malkovich, "Death of a Salesman," "Red"), reigns over a rogue nation of thieves, outlaws and miscreants. Part shantytown, part utopia, part marauder's paradise, this is a place like no other.

Blackbeard has designs on the longitude chronometer, an invention that will change the world. During a massive attack on an English vessel, his most trusted pirates attempt to steal the device. But on board is Tom Lowe (Richard Coyle, "Covert Affairs"), an English spy working undercover as ship's surgeon. Lowe's mission is to prevent the chronometer from falling into the hands of pirates - and to assassinate Blackbeard, should the opportunity arise.

Taken as prisoner to Santa Compana, Lowe must find a way to reassemble the precious chronometer, all while trying to uncover Blackbeard's master plan - a plan that includes a greater threat to the English throne than merely pirates...

In addition to Cross, executive producers include Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald ("Gladiator," "Men in Black"), Ted Gold ("Three Rivers") and Ciaran Donnelly ("Vikings," "The Tudors").

"Crossbones" is produced by Parkes+MacDonald Productions in association with Universal Television.

Premieres Friday May 30th
Old 04-23-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Crossbones (NBC) -- S: John Malkovich as Blackbeard -- From the creator of Luther

Will watch for Richard Coyle.
Old 04-24-14, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Crossbones (NBC) -- S: John Malkovich as Blackbeard -- From the creator of Luther

I was out until the mention of Luther. I'll give it a shot just based on that.
Old 04-24-14, 08:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Might check this out for the Neil Cross factor (big fan of Luther). The other recent show in the genre (Starz' Black Sails) didn't impress me so hopefully this is an improvement.
Old 04-24-14, 03:17 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give it a shot, at least they're trying.
Old 05-30-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump

Premieres tonight on NBC

I won't be doing weekly threads for this series. I'll check it out, but I doubt this will be very popular. Hopefully it will be somewhat entertaining.
Old 05-30-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Did this air in the UK or Canada first?
Old 05-30-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Did this air in the UK or Canada first?
Nope it's making it's premiere tonight.

FYI, the Pilot is directed by David Slade. As some of you know, he's a director and producer on Hannibal.

Here's the episode summary for tonight:

"THE DEVIL'S DOMINION"

05/30/2014 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Friday) : The Longitude Chronometer, a device that will change the world, is stolen from HMS Petrel by pirates working for the legendary but supposedly long dead Edward Teach - better known as Blackbeard (John Malkovich). On board the Petrel is Tom Lowe (Richard Coyle), an English spy working undercover as ship's surgeon. Lowe's mission is to prevent the Chronometer from falling into the hands of pirates... and if the opportunity should arise, to assassinate Blackbeard. Also starring Tracy Ifeachor, David Hoflin, Yasmine Al Massri, Chris Perfetti and Claire Foy. TV-14 V

Read more: Listings - CROSSBONES on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz33EjpI6OU
Old 05-30-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

The doctor/spy sounds just like Russell Crowe.
Old 05-30-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No offense to Malkovich and his non-black beard and phony English accent, but it would have been so fucking cool if they had gotten Ian McShane to reprise the role.
Old 05-31-14, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The sea battle was horrible.
Old 05-31-14, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I dunno... this didn't really do anything for me.
Old 05-31-14, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no interest in this show at all, which is odd considering all of the people I really like that are involved in this.
Old 05-31-14, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was just terrible. It felt like low rent, and it was easy to see why it was put on a Friday night.
Old 05-31-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jory
No offense to Malkovich and his non-black beard and phony English accent, but it would have been so fucking cool if they had gotten Ian McShane to reprise the role.
Originally Posted by boredsilly
I have no interest in this show at all, which is odd considering all of the people I really like that are involved in this.
Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
This was just terrible. It felt like low rent, and it was easy to see why it was put on a Friday night.

I agree with Jory on Ian McShane. I DVRd the show and watched it awhile ago and I didn't like it and I also like the people involved in the show. I think I will continue to DVRing to see if it improves.
Old 06-02-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

recorded it but haven't watched yet
I recently had a pirates craving and played the 2004 version of Sid Meier's pirates! so the idea is somewhat interesting to me
Old 06-03-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

This felt like a very disposable show to me, Malkovich looks like he's acting on anti-depressants at this point. While he's a great get for network television, I'm not sure this was a role made for him.
Old 06-10-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

finally watched it. it's ok
on the second episode now
Old 06-11-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Black Sails with no nudity?

Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich. Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich, Malkovich Malkovich!
Old 06-18-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had no idea NBC kept their shows online for so long. I assumed their episodes would expire after a week, but to my surprise, the first two episodes of Crossbones that have been put online don't expire until September. Looks like I'll also be able to see Dracula, since every episode is online and those also don't expire until September.

Anyway, I just streamed the first episode of Crossbones on my iPad, and liked it well enough that I'll stick with the show for the time being. It's nice to see more of a cat and mouse game than the typical swashbuckling pirate stuff, and the dialogue and acting are above average. I'm hoping for the same from Dracula, which looked like garbage in the previews.
Old 06-18-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Dracula was a very good show if you are into period genre entertainment. It's more sexy than frightening, however.
Old 06-18-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Also all NBC and any NBC Universal owned network carry all of their on demand programs in HD.

Can't say the same for CBS and ABC.
Old 06-18-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Dracula was a very good show if you are into period genre entertainment. It's more sexy than frightening, however.
I'll give it a fair shake, especially if I can stream it for free and don't need to waste money on a Blu-ray blind-buy. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen bad trailers for a good show. I've recently been making my way through Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, a show that I avoided when it was on the air because the previews just looked so incredibly bland, and yet I'm loving it.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Also all NBC and any NBC Universal owned network carry all of their on demand programs in HD.

Can't say the same for CBS and ABC.
It looked fantastic on my iPad, although I'll crank up the brightness when I watch the next episode, because it got quite dark at times. I was worried because when I downloaded the NBC app, all I saw were negative reviews about how horrible it was, how it would crash and the ads would replay when it started working again, but I had no issue with it at all.
Old 06-20-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Third episode airs tonight, though I still need to watch the second one. Does anyone even watch this show as it's broadcast, or do they just DVR or stream it like I do? The timeslot seems awful, though it's apparently doing well enough for itself.
Old 06-20-14, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jory
Does anyone even watch this show as it's broadcast, or do they just DVR or stream it like I do?
I never watch shows as they are broadcast anymore. I wait until the season is done and then marathon it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.