Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deputies Mistakenly Kill 'Tosh.0' Production Assistant

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Deputies Mistakenly Kill 'Tosh.0' Production Assistant

That is crap. Both victims were unarmed and shot at. The police officers need better training. I hope the victim's families sue the city and win a big settlement. That is the only way police department will change their culture of shoot first and ask questions later.
Old 04-11-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Opening comments are encouraged but not an official rule.

For now.
Yes.
Old 04-11-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
That is crap. Both victims were unarmed and shot at. The police officers need better training. I hope the victim's families sue the city and win a big settlement. That is the only way police department will change their culture of shoot first and ask questions later.
Oh come on. Let's have some perspective.

Most officers never fire their weapon at a suspect in their entire career. Most departments don't even have a single officer involved shooting per year (fatal or otherwise). Some states don't even have a single officer involved shooting in a year. I'm not sure you can blame police shootings on culture.

Yes, some particular departments have more shootings. Those unsurprisingly often correlate to areas that have a lot of violent crimes. But even there, shootings aren't epidemic. LAPD for example, which is often maligned as a "brutal" department, has like 10,000+ officers, and they handle around 2 million emergency calls for service a year. They had 63 incidents where they fired weapons in 2011.

Edit: I just looked up the numbers for the LA Sheriff's Office (the agency involved here). They have roughly the same amount of officers. They had 43 shooting incidents in 2010 (down 14 from 57 in 2004).

Last edited by CaptainMarvel; 04-11-14 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-11-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

What about on 2/7/13 when Los Angeles police officers fired approximately 100 shots at a Toyota Tacoma hitting two women delivering newspapers when they were looking for a Nissan Titan driven by Christopher Dorner. Or, when they deliberately crashed into and shot at a Honda Ridgeline the same day.

Just don't be a hostage in LA or drive a truck if the police are looking for a cop killer.
Old 04-11-14, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about on 2/7/13 when Los Angeles police officers fired approximately 100 shots at a Toyota Tacoma hitting two women delivering newspapers when they were looking for a Nissan Titan driven by Christopher Dorner. Or, when they deliberately crashed into and shot at a Honda Ridgeline the same day.

Just don't be a hostage in LA or drive a truck if the police are looking for a cop killer.
Maybe using an exceptional incident like the Dorner manhunt and treating it like it's indicative of any sort of trend is a bad idea? You can look up the numbers yourself if you wish. Regardless of whether it's your impression that there's a "culture of shoot first and ask later," that is just empirically not the case.

[FWIW, 1) both the incidents you mentioned happened at roughly the same time in roughly the same location, 2) the LAPD officers involved were found to be in violation of department policy and are facing sanctions now, and 3) the second shooting was by an entirely different department.]
Old 04-11-14, 04:17 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
2) the LAPD officers involved were found to be in violation of department policy and are facing sanctions now
Sanctions for shooting 100 times at a vehicle with a couple small Asian women in it, when they were looking for a large black man? Bullshit. You'll be hearing from our union reps.

Old 04-11-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

About the Dorner officers:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2ycOUXHQx

In that message, which was obtained by The Times, Beck said he had determined that the officers violated LAPD's use-of-deadly-force policy.

But he said they will be returned to field after spending a year on desk duty.

"I have confidence in their abilities as LAPD officers to continue to do their jobs in the same capacity they had been assigned," Beck said. "In the end, we as an organization can learn from this incident and from the individuals involved."

Beck's decision to retrain the officers does not preclude him from imposing discipline on some or all of them, although several police sources said it is unlikely he will do so.

Soboroff acknowledged that the authority to discipline belongs to the chief but added, "With that said, I would have expected more significant discipline for the actions of most of the officers in this incident. I trust that the training will be extensive and the department and officers will move forward from this tragic incident."
I realize this is tangentially related to a TV show but shouldn't this be moved to other or merged with this thread?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...thread-43.html
Old 04-11-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Oh come on. Let's have some perspective.

Most officers never fire their weapon at a suspect in their entire career. Most departments don't even have a single officer involved shooting per year (fatal or otherwise). Some states don't even have a single officer involved shooting in a year. I'm not sure you can blame police shootings on culture.

Yes, some particular departments have more shootings. Those unsurprisingly often correlate to areas that have a lot of violent crimes. But even there, shootings aren't epidemic. LAPD for example, which is often maligned as a "brutal" department, has like 10,000+ officers, and they handle around 2 million emergency calls for service a year. They had 63 incidents where they fired weapons in 2011.

Edit: I just looked up the numbers for the LA Sheriff's Office (the agency involved here). They have roughly the same amount of officers. They had 43 shooting incidents in 2010 (down 14 from 57 in 2004).
It really sounds like you're saying, "Yeah we kill innocent folks from time to time but it doesn't happen that often so chill out...".

This "Them and US " mentality is what gets folks beat up and/or killed by cops. But hey, It's cool. We'll just shut our mouths while you guys have your way with us and gun us down while you shit your pants in fear....
Old 04-11-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It really sounds like you're saying, "Yeah we kill innocent folks from time to time but it doesn't happen that often so chill out...".

This "Them and US " mentality is what gets folks beat up and/or killed by cops. But hey, It's cool. We'll just shut our mouths while you guys have your way with us and gun us down while you shit your pants in fear....
You only live once and when the people sworn to protect you kill innocents I think it's impossible to blow it out of proportion.
Old 04-11-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I suppose if you can't read, then I can understand why what I wrote might sound that way to you.

I wasn't addressing the merits of any individual event. I didn't defend what happened here. The assertion was that there's a culture of "shoot first ask questions later."

My response was the example that out of several million emergency calls for service in a given year, there were well under 100 incidents where shots were fired. That's all incidents where shots were fired, including all the legitimate ones. Obviously illegitimate incidents would make up a subset of that already low number.

And that's at one of the departments with the worst reputation for being violent. That's awfully weak proof that there's some sort of pattern or culture of reckless shootings.

But whatever. I suppose you can read something I didn't remotely say into what I wrote and straw man away at it. Back to the regularly scheduled circle jerk.
Old 04-11-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's getting pretty big coverage here because he is from the town that we live in, Puyallup
Old 04-11-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I wonder if Tosh will address this on his show next week.
Knowing Tosh, I fully expect him to parody the incident.
Old 04-11-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Tosh did tweet out his condolences today so there's that.
Old 04-12-14, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well I suppose if you can't read, then I can understand why what I wrote might sound that way to you.

I wasn't addressing the merits of any individual event. I didn't defend what happened here. The assertion was that there's a culture of "shoot first ask questions later."

My response was the example that out of several million emergency calls for service in a given year, there were well under 100 incidents where shots were fired. That's all incidents where shots were fired, including all the legitimate ones. Obviously illegitimate incidents would make up a subset of that already low number.

And that's at one of the departments with the worst reputation for being violent. That's awfully weak proof that there's some sort of pattern or culture of reckless shootings.

But whatever. I suppose you can read something I didn't remotely say into what I wrote and straw man away at it. Back to the regularly scheduled circle jerk.
I can read. That's why I said "it SOUNDS LIKE...".

I didn't say you said that.
Old 04-12-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can read. That's why I said "it SOUNDS LIKE...".

I didn't say you said that.
Do you give people who preface something stupid they are about to say with "I dont want to sound racist but..." a free pass?
Old 04-12-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

So ... There is a job opening at Comedy Central?
Old 04-12-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I see this as a sign that the stupid, unfunny show should've been cancelled years ago.
Old 04-12-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I see this as a sign that the stupid, unfunny show should've been cancelled years ago.
It gets better ratings than the Daily Show.
Old 04-12-14, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those settlements are paid with taxpayer dollars, so they don't feel any hurt.

What needs to happen is murder charges brought against officers. This is happening far too much around the country.
Old 04-12-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by buckeyes8604
Those settlements are paid with taxpayer dollars, so they don't feel any hurt.

What needs to happen is murder charges brought against officers. This is happening far too much around the country.
Well that would certainly be a tremendous waste of money in this case, because even in California you're virtually guaranteed to get at least one juror who isn't moronic enough to see this as murder, given the facts.
Old 04-12-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that would certainly be a tremendous waste of money in this case, because even in California you're virtually guaranteed to get at least one juror who isn't moronic enough to see this as murder, given the facts.
And are there any idiots in your state stupid enough not to call it criminally negligent manslaughter, given the facts?
Old 04-12-14, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
It gets better ratings than the Daily Show.
Really? Now that's sad.
Old 04-12-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by van der graaf
And are there any idiots in your state stupid enough not to call it criminally negligent manslaughter, given the facts?
I think California calls criminally negligent homicide "involuntary manslaughter", and I could totally see it being a tenable charge, depending on the testimony given. But I can also see it being difficult to overcome "defense of others" as a criminal defense. That defense typically applies even if the use of force is mistaken, as long as the mistake is reasonable.

The story we have is:
Police get reports of a man with a knife holding people hostage. Police get a description of the culprit, including clothing. Police knock at door, and an obvious victim with spurting knife wounds flees from apartment, with another person matching the description of the culprit in close pursuit arm's length behind him.

If those facts panned out upon investigation, even a semi-decent defense attorney wouldn't exactly have a tough time articulating that it was reasonable to believe at that instant that the victim was being chased by his attacker, especially given the split second decision making such an incident would require. These incidents aren't reviewed with the comfort of hindsight added in.

My take from reading the articles on this is that there should certainly be civil liability for the stabbing victim being shot by accident and highly likely liability for the death of the producer. A criminally negligent homicide charge is a possibility for the shooting of the producer, but even that seems up in the air given the circumstances. Murder, though, would only be on the table for people with absolutely no clue about what they're saying.
Old 04-13-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Do you give people who preface something stupid they are about to say with "I dont want to sound racist but..." a free pass?
Here we go...sigh.

Depends on what comes after it.
Old 04-15-14, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I have a friend that lives in the building where this happened. He already has plans to move.
My friend's Facebook update today:

Apparently, 18 out of 45 apartments have been vacated in the past week here at the Slauterhouse, I mean, Palm Villas. Serious deals for those who want to experience luxury living. Tell them Peter sent you.