Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D -- "End of the Beginning" -- 4/01/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D -- "End of the Beginning" -- 4/01/14

Post Cap 2 question
Spoiler:
What the hell does that do to this show? Is a member of Coulson's team in Hydra? Will the team be rebuilding SHIELD?
Old 04-05-14, 12:18 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I wish the new episode was On Demand early.
Old 04-05-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sauce07
Post Cap 2 question
Spoiler:
What the hell does that do to this show? Is a member of Coulson's team in Hydra? Will the team be rebuilding SHIELD?
Spoiler:
Maybe they join Fury to hunt down Hydra?
Old 04-05-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Watching this episode now. I watched Thor last night (taking the girlfriend through all the Marvel movies since she said she liked Iron Man but hadn't seen the rest) and noticed another movie character that is on the show. Agent Sitwell
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0380073/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t16
Old 04-05-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.

Originally Posted by anomynous
Reminder, Captain 'Murica 2 takes place in between this week's and next week's episode, so I'd hold off on watching any more episodes until you see the movie.
guess that means I'm going tomorrow instead of next week
Old 04-05-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yea. Tomorrow morning for me. For sure.
Old 04-05-14, 04:57 PM

Maybe the movie's not in between (because I can't imagine there being a lot of time passing between the two episodes), but it's at least concurrently.

So yeah, see it. Jed Whedon said so.
Old 04-05-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That seems like a lot of spin to me. They envisioned SHIELD as one show and now have to remake it on the fly if it wants to stick around.

That pilot alone cost them millions of viewers which will never give the show a second chance.
I'm with you ... So much spinning there that I am dizzy now.

I'm glad the show has "gotten good" and I will come back with a binge-watch (I always intended to). However ...

"Now they have found their core audience ..." I call BULLSHIT. You don't create a comic book based show thinking your core audience just might be the same as Desperate Housewives. Like PhantomStranger said: you tried something, you fucked up and it sucked. Now you are recovering and that is a good thing.

The other piece of that article which is complete crap is the stuff about "having to take the first several episodes to build a believable world that fits." No spoilers here, but Captain America 2 does just that without needing 7 hours of lead in. Of course it takes place in the MCU, but it felt like a different world. It was the first film which I feel was also a "believable" story in our world today. It hit the ground running and didn't suffer one bit.
Old 04-05-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Just got back from Captain America.

yeah the whole dynamics of this show are going to change dramatically now if they are going to stay true to next week's episode as a direct follow up.
Old 04-05-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just saw the preview for the new episode and it looks to take place during or after the events of Winter Soldier. They're calling it "Uprising."

I've yet to see an episode of Agents of SHIELD, though.
Old 04-06-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just saw the preview for the new episode and it looks to take place during or after the events of Winter Soldier. They're calling it "Uprising."

Think of it this way: you're not a loser for giving up on it!
Old 04-06-14, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Think of it this way: you're not a loser for giving up on it!
I'm still a loser anyway, so that doesn't make feel any better .
Old 04-06-14, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's so weird and repetitive that I have to believe there is a good reason...it will be revealed that Coulson is her father. That is the only thing I can think of for continuing to have him fawn over Skye's potential.

This show needs to do everything in its power to make Paxton a full-time cast member. He plays off Coulson much better than May.
They have to keep reminding the audience how amazing she is lest they realize her character is completely superfluous and serves no purpose other than to look bemused with her mouth open.

I also think Paxton's energy would be a much better fit as the leader of the team than Coulsen.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
There hasn't been a single episode I've seen that wouldn't have been improved by Ward or Skye suddenly taking a cannonball to the face. -THE END-
this
Old 04-06-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

"Uprising" is an event that has been going on for the last 2-3 episodes.
Old 04-06-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
"Uprising" is an event that has been going on for the last 2-3 episodes.
I would not have known that. I just saw bits and pieces of it and I think Bill Paxton is in it, too. Some of what was being said in the episode had the direct link to Winter Soldier.
Old 04-06-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wow. the events in the movie will definitely shake up the show. I won't post any spoilers but I will recommend seeing the movie. It's worth fighting the crowds
Old 04-06-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read that the changes have not helped the Ratings. How is this going to make it another season?
Old 04-06-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I read that the changes have not helped the Ratings. How is this going to make it another season?
Be bold and kill off most of the lame cast at the end of the season and have Samuel L. Jackson join the show as a part time regular. For the next season, they could have the Howling Comandoes from the first Cap movie come back as clones. Just my 2cents. Have they even hinted at Scorpio yet?
Old 04-06-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

All they have to do is make it closer to the Secret Warriors stories that came out a few years ago and bam, you got yourself some really interesting post Cap 2 television right there.
Old 04-06-14, 08:01 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Unfortunately, my wife had surgery on her back this past week, and we will not be seeing Cap in the theaters. We are avid AOS fans, so all we want to know is the bare minimum going into the next episode (not seeing it is NOT an option). Anyone who has seen Cap want to help? (Spoiler tags, please, in consideration of others).
Old 04-06-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Unfortunately, my wife had surgery on her back this past week, and we will not be seeing Cap in the theaters. We are avid AOS fans, so all we want to know is the bare minimum going into the next episode (not seeing it is NOT an option). Anyone who has seen Cap want to help? (Spoiler tags, please, in consideration of others).
Very basic:

Spoiler:
S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more. Hydra infiltrated it in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Headquarters is destroyed and most of the personnel are dead. Nick Fury has gone into hiding after faking his death. Hydra attempted to kill him in the movie, but he survived and faked his death.
Old 04-06-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't really see it changing much. For the most part, they were keeping the scale relatively small (the lack of an epic scope I think turns off some people). I bet they keep the jet and everything. Operations go more covert, without much surveillance.

Cap 2 Spoiler

Spoiler:
Unless I missed something, Cap just ruined The Clairvoyant (who was using the AI built for Insight). I really like the twist that The Clairvoyant is data driven, and not a mystic of some sort. The 'commander lady' is Hyrda. But now she (or her commander) is blind (if living).

They can keep doing their thing, and perusing Hydra followers.

Will the show start getting more cosmic with Guardians of the Galaxy? Right now, there is the unexplained serum that saved Coulson and Skye.
Old 04-07-14, 02:52 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Very basic:

Spoiler:
S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more. Hydra infiltrated it in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Headquarters is destroyed and most of the personnel are dead. Nick Fury has gone into hiding after faking his death. Hydra attempted to kill him in the movie, but he survived and faked his death.
Thanks, enough of a catch-up to watch the episode, and left enough out that we will still enjoy Winter Soldier when the time comes.

BTW, I have read that on April 15, the episode Turn, Turn, Turn, and the next episode Providence will be shown back-to-back. Adjust your DVRs accordingly.
Old 04-07-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Thanks, enough of a catch-up to watch the episode, and left enough out that we will still enjoy Winter Soldier when the time comes.

BTW, I have read that on April 15, the episode Turn, Turn, Turn, and the next episode Providence will be shown back-to-back. Adjust your DVRs accordingly.
If my DVR works the way it's supposed to, I shouldn't have to adjust anything.
Old 04-07-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Spoiler:
Unless I missed something, Cap just ruined The Clairvoyant (who was using the AI built for Insight). I really like the twist that The Clairvoyant is data driven, and not a mystic of some sort. The 'commander lady' is Hyrda. But now she (or her commander) is blind (if living).
As we mentioned, if The Clairvoyant was eliminated in The Winter Soldier, it's a total cop out and undoes all the positive changes made within the past few episodes.

As this episode proved, someone in S.H.I.E.L.D. is The Clairvoyant. There's still a lot of questions left to be answered (such as who May has been talking to on the encrypted line).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.