Reload this Page >

Hannibal -- Mukozuke -- 3/28/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-28-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here we are at episode 5, the episode Bryan Fuller has been talking about since before the season started. Apparently a lot of shit goes down tonight.

Based on something he said in an interview last week, we're in store for a fantastic looking corpse!
Old 03-28-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Hannibal -- Mukozuke -- 3/28/14

Cross-promotion with "Dumb and Dumber To?"
Old 03-28-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm confused. Didn't Gideon die in season 1?
Old 03-28-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As is often stated....I can't believe this is on NBC. Just amazing, week to week.
Old 03-29-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The previews for the next on for this show are way too spoilery.

Spoiler:
Having Jack ask for some food to go is a great tease. The "Test this" bit was just overkill.
Old 03-29-14, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I'm confused. Didn't Gideon die in season 1?
Judging from tonights episode, I'm gonna guess no. Only wounded.
Old 03-29-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another fantastic episode. When Jack was sitting in Hannibal's seat for breakfast, I kept waiting for him to find the bullet hole right underneath him.
Old 03-29-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was an earthquake in Los Angeles an hour before this episode was supposed to air so the local NBC news is preempting the show with coverage of a leaky faucet and some groceries that fell off shelves. I'll have to watch this on demand now. My anticipation is at it's peak!
Old 03-29-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, due to the 5.1 earthquake tonight here in Southern California, Hannibal didn't air tonight.
Old 03-29-14, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fantastic episode. I miss Beverly already but am completely enthralled.
Old 03-29-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice to see Hannibal getting fucked up for once.
Old 03-29-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hettienne Park responds to some of the criticism regarding her character's death:
http://yellowbird66.wordpress.com/20...-eat-the-rude/

Interview with Bryan Fuller on this episode; no spoilers for future episodes:
http://www.avclub.com/article/hannib...ig-move-202670
Old 03-29-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Hettienne Park responds to some of the criticism regarding her character's death:
Wow. I wish I could shake her hand and buy her a drink. That was an awesome statement.

Last edited by TomOpus; 03-29-14 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-29-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

holy shit, Beverly being sliced and displayed like that was fucked up, even more so than many of the things this show has done
Old 03-29-14, 03:06 PM

Just finished reading. I am now officially in love with her
Old 03-29-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was an awesome and well thought out response.
Old 03-29-14, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
That was an awesome and well thought out response.
Spoiler:
I’d rather focus on the positive stuff. I got to play this amazing woman who didn’t have to sleep with anyone (not that I would have minded) or act dumb and girlie or fawn all over some guy or be a conniving bitch to get people to notice or respect me, and she didn’t speak broken English or karate chop anyone (not that I would have minded). Nobody called her “dragon lady” or “exotic.” She could shoot a gun and drive that FBI SUV like a champ. And all with the extra added bonus of being Jewish. And when I get messages and thank yous from viewers who dig that or are inspired by that, well, that’s what makes any of this worthwhile or mean anything to me. So thank you for that. I love Beverly Katz. And I loved playing her.

No reason for the spoiler tag. I just know people are pretty sensitive to outside sources.
Old 03-29-14, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another good episode. I liked the actor that played the creepy male nurse. This episode seemed like it was a springboard episode that sets the rest of the season in motion.

And yes it was really nice seeing Hannibal fucked up and not being in control for once. Also, am I the one who really watching those (brief) cooking scenes?
Old 03-29-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man....this continues to be the best thing on network tv. IMHO. And man, that slicing of Beverly.....damnnnnnnnn.

This better get a season three since it's basically free for NBC.
Old 03-29-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post

This better get a season three since it's basically free for NBC.
If it was "basically free" they wouldn't have waited until after the up fronts to renew it last year. It's not.

No doubt some other network would gladly pick it up if NBC cancels it but it is by no means "basically free".
Old 03-29-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Big to Ms Park!

OK, when the examiners found out Katz's kidneys were swapped with the mural killer...then CUT to Hannibal's smirk on his face while having dinner, I just busted out laughing.

Several years ago down in SoCal, I had attended that creepy Bodies The Exhibition with the preserved dissected humans on display to get some xtra credit for a RN class. Looking at Katz sliced and encased brought back some of those heebie jeebies.
Old 03-30-14, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Great piece of writing by Hetienne Park. Addresses a lot of issues in the industry in general. It's one of the smartest, well thought out pieces of writing by an actor. I wish her well. I hope this show helps her get a great new gig.

Saw this tonight via Hulu

As for this episode. Wow, what happened did to Bev. The recreation of her death via Will was creepy.

Love how Fuller has handled the storytelling in this series. Nothing feels rushed or too slow.

I agree with everyone else that it was good to see Hannibal not be in control for a change.
Old 03-30-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interview with Bryan Fuller on this episode; no spoilers for future episodes:
http://www.avclub.com/article/hannib...ig-move-202670

I obviously don't know either person (Park or Fuller), but just by looking at Fuller's history, to imply or outright say he's sexist is silly to me. The guy has a history of developing shows with strong female leads (or co-leads).

Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies all have strong female leads or co-lead.

I knew Ellen Muth from Dead Like Me played Georgia Madchen in season 1 of Hannibal, but I have to say I was kind of surprised that Caroline Dhavernas who plays Alana Bloom was Jaye Tyler from Wonderfalls. I didn't even recognize her!
Old 03-30-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post
I obviously don't know either person (Park or Fuller), but just by looking at Fuller's history, to imply or outright say he's sexist is silly to me. The guy has a history of developing shows with strong female leads (or co-leads).
I think part of the problem with Hannibal is that Fuller keeps creating strong female characters, then keeps killing them off. Almost all of Hannibal's victims that we as the audience knew more than cursory have been female.

Miriam Lass, Georgia Madchen, Abigail Hobbs, and now Beverly Katz.

Part of the problem is that Red Dragon is a bit of a "boy's club" book, with predominantly male characters. Fuller has addressed this a bit by Starbucking the characters of Freddie Lounds, Alana Bloom, and Kade Prurnell, but it also meant filling out some of the ancillary roles with female characters. And since we know the central characters, Will Graham, Hannibal, Jack Crawford, are "safe," the only way to introduce danger is to kill off some ancillary characters from time to time.

Individually, I think each character's death had a strong narrative reason, but I can see how some people could get upset that these female characters keep dying, especially if some were fan favorites, and possibly mis-attribute motivations.
Old 03-30-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one thing I didn't really get from this episode is when Will doesn't tell Jack that he suspects Hannibal. That seemed a little weird to me -- especially since they were standing in front of Beverly's sliced body when Will went all "you've got to find it for yourself". What? Tell Jack you suspect Hannibal again, even if that makes you sound crazy.

The piece Park wrote was really wonderful. She addressed the concerns some fans are having without being dismissive, while also making her stance clear and discussing the larger issues at play. She's the shit. And it struck me last night that if I had the power I would put her in the new Star Wars movies as a Jedi or something. She didn't have a ton to do in Hannibal, but she has a quiet strength that I think would be well suited to the new movies. I hope she lands some more stuff soon.

The outrage to Beverly's death was really surprising to me. I really liked the character, and I was sad she was murdered, but sad in the context of the show, and not outside of it. I've been reading a lot of posts on tumblr to try and understand where people are coming from, and I've seen a lot of really good points raised. Things that didn't even register to me. Some of the anger aimed at Fuller also feels a little too strong to me, but then who am I to tell people how to feel. Also, I'm not a good barometer because I'm not very passionate about the media I consume.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.