Reload this Page >

Justified -- "Wrong Roads" -- 3/11/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-11-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Episode 9 / Production #509 - "Wrong Roads" (Airs March 11, 10:00 pm e/p) - Raylan partners with a maverick DEA agent whose bad behavior feels uncomfortably familiar, while Boyd makes a hard choice to protect Ava. Written by Dave Andron & Leonard Chang; directed by Michael Dinner.

Read more: Listings - JUSTIFIED on FX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2vhb4q6oB

Episode 9 of 13
Old 03-12-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Justified -- "Wrong Roads" -- 3/11/14

Whew, that stand off scene. Looks like all the players are coming together.
Old 03-12-14, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, time for folks to start dropping like flies. I could still do without Eva's Orange is the New Justified plotline, tho. (It be came distracting to me that the nurse is the Popeye's Chicken pitchwoman.)

And more Eric Roberts on TV please.
Old 03-12-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good stuff. Looks like things are finally starting to fall into place plotwise.

Kinda sad having Raylan pair up with future Raylan who also had his future Boyd as a CI. Maybe a bit too on the nose, but maybe it's the impetus for big changes in the final season.

I'm growing to like Ava's storyline. She is so screwed with barely anyone there to help, and now she has to kill the only person who has helped her so she can remain safe. That line about her having 'no leverage' was tough.

Did Roscoe die when Agent Miller shot him? I hope not, I liked those two although I don't know where their characters go from here.
Old 03-12-14, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
Did Roscoe die when Agent Miller shot him? I hope not, I liked those two although I don't know where their characters go from here.
Spoiler:
Miller ends up shooting Roscoe and Jay puts down his gun. Is Roscoe dead?
On Justified, unless you see a doctor pronounce death, a character’s not dead. No. After the episode was so much fun and they were so great, we decided to keep them both alive. Or at least have that possibility, and we’ll see how next year unfolds.

So this is the last we see of them this season?
Yes.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/12/ju...-eric-roberts/

Good article that answers that question and some others, (w/a few very minor spoilers).
Old 03-12-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very nice. Thanks!
Old 03-12-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved Boyd at the table still making deals. Even with Raylan.
Old 03-12-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i am hoping ava somehow saves the craggy faced chick from winter's bone, and double crosses the Popeye's pitch lady/nurse. hopefully she see's someone who keeps moving the goal line isn't someone to get into drug dealing bed with. Maybe Boyd can do something, off her and create an alternate source into the prison.
Old 03-12-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm gonna go ahead and because it needs beatin': Michael Rapaport is atrocious in this. It's painful to listen him struggle with whatever accent he's trying.

Some good stuff in this episode, but this season is sputtering. There's no real narrative thrust, and Raylan and Boyd almost seem like background players.
Old 03-12-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DEA agent was great.
Old 03-12-14, 10:26 PM

This episode was Louisiana Fast
Old 03-13-14, 12:28 AM

This was a big step up from the recent shows. I was skeptical when I first saw Eric Roberts but I thought he was good and that was a good way of dealing with the forced vacation.

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and because it needs beatin': Michael Rapaport is atrocious in this. It's painful to listen him struggle with whatever accent he's trying.
I randomly came across a Justified season premier thing (either on FX or FXM?) and after hearing the Dewey character in real life (he's Australian), it only makes me cringe even more when I hear Rapport... I was kind of hoping Avon took Boyd up on his offer and blew him away at the table.
Old 03-13-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was kinda' getting where Art was coming from, but now he's just being kind of a dick.
Old 03-13-14, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wirefan View Post
I randomly came across a Justified season premier thing (either on FX or FXM?) and after hearing the Dewey character in real life (he's Australian), it only makes me cringe even more when I hear Rapport...
Dewey's the MAN! Loved the last shot of the episode!

Rappaport...oh, man, what can you say...it's painful, just painful at times...especially those who've grown up around the real thing.

Wauhyull Rayiuhlin, Iai kayunt seyuh whut yore tayalkiin uhbowyult.

It's like he's possessed by four hillbilly demons and they're all trying to speak at once.

(Or he's swallowed a cat that's yowling to get out every time he opens his mouth)

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I was kinda' getting where Art was coming from, but now he's just being kind of a dick.
Let it go, Art.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-13-14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-13-14, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
i was kinda' getting where art was coming from, but now he's just being kind of a dick.
exactly.
Old 03-13-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually think that's the whole point. Art knows he can't deal with it any other way, so he's taking what little satisfaction he can by being a dick to Raylan. I say keep being a dick, Art (even though I'm increasingly reading that as he dies before the season is out).
Old 03-16-14, 09:01 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been behind you folks by an episode or two all season, even after coming back here, but I'm finally caught up.

This show has built up so many likeable villains that when they're taken out, it's a bummer. A few you see coming, like there's no other way it'll end within this show, and then there are others that you're like, "That guy? Sure he's bad, but, he's cool!" I'm thinking of...

Spoiler:

Wade Messer
Johnny Crowder (had to happen eventually, of course)
Hot Rod

If there's one thing Elmore Leonard was really good at, it's creating likeable villains and while I agree with some posts in the last few episodes' threads about some meandering this season, I do think Yost and crew have done a good job keeping in spirit with Leonard villains.

If Dewey Crowe doesn't get to walk away from this season alive, though, I think I may go bananas. Not this banana. The other one.
Old 03-16-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I read into the decision to end the show is that Yost and particularly also Olyphant know they have one more sure fire Leonard quality story to tell, and neither of them were really comfortable going beyond that and hoping they could get the magic right.

On a story level, this season has been pretty good. It has taken two giant casting hits with Rappaport and also the guy who had to be killed off because he didn't like the work, but if those things were fixed I think this season would have been better. The Ava stuff has felt like a distraction, but if the last season really turns on it somehow (which is my guess) it will have been worth the distraction.

My wild ass guess about the last season is that it is going to focus on Raylan taking over the deceased Art's job because his ability to deliver in high profile situations such as helping Memphis DEA will win out and somehow the making sure Art's killer comes to justice is going to run smack trough both Boyd and Ava. Hopefully the last scene takes us right back to Ava's house.
Old 03-16-14, 03:37 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
As much as I wouldn't like seeing Art go like that, your theory works for me, storywise.