DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Last of Us - news, rumors, etc. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618560-last-us-news-rumors-etc.html)

dex14 03-06-14 04:07 PM

The Last of Us - news, rumors, etc.

I wonder if Ellen Page will star?

EXCLUSIVE: Screen Gems has signed on to distribute The Last Of Us, a live-action adaptation of the PlayStation 3 vidgame from Naughty Dog. Neil Druckmann, the Creative Director for the game, will write the script. The creative architects will be Naughty Dog co-presidents Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra, as well as Druckmann and Game Director Bruce Straley. They’ll team with Sam Raimi and his Ghost House Pictures banner.

The logline: Hardened survivor Joel teams with young and capable companion Ellie to journey through a radically transformed world some 20 years after an infectious pandemic ravages humanity. The game has won numerous awards and has been a big seller since its release last summer.

“Screen Gems’ Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it, and when I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay,” Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper said. “I am thrilled that SCEA’s Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil’s vision.”

Naughty Dog Co-president Wells called the combination of Screen Gems and Ghost House “a perfect fit. Since our game released last June, we’ve talked with many companies about making a film, but we couldn’t have found better partners who share our creative vision and high standards.”

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W01L70IGBgE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Groucho 03-06-14 04:12 PM

Re: Sam Raimi to produce adaptation of video game "The Last of Us" for Screen Gems

David O. Russell is reportedly interested in directing. What drew him to the project was "the themes of religious redemption" and the "witty patter".

dex14 03-06-14 04:18 PM

Re: Sam Raimi to produce adaptation of video game "The Last of Us" for Screen Gems

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12036107)
David O. Russell is reportedly interested in directing. What drew him to the project was "the themes of religious redemption" and the "witty patter".

Don't give them any ideas...

Next it will be Jennifer Lawrence with Joe Pesci.

OldBoy 03-06-14 04:43 PM

DOR might be an odd choice for this, but then again he can branch out can't he?

Guru Askew 03-06-14 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12036100)

She bailed on Drag Me to Hell so there might be some bad blood there. Not that Raimi is actually directing this. And Raimi is one to get butthurt over stuff like that as Robert Downey Jr's rubber tree can attest.

RocShemp 03-06-14 08:19 PM

This sounds like a terrible idea since it would be the equivalent of paying to watch someone else's playthrough of the game. :down:

RocShemp 03-06-14 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew (Post 12036156)
She bailed on Drag Me to Hell so there might be some bad blood there. Not that Raimi is actually directing this. And Raimi is one to get butthurt over stuff like that as Robert Downey Jr's rubber tree can attest.

What about a rubber tree?

Guru Askew 03-06-14 11:27 PM

Supposedly Raimi gave RDJ a rubber tree as a gift when they began working on Oz and when Raimi visited again weeks later and saw the tree wilting away...

JAMES FRANCO AS OZ!

RocShemp 03-07-14 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew (Post 12036487)
Supposedly Raimi gave RDJ a rubber tree as a gift when they began working on Oz and when Raimi visited again weeks later and saw the tree wilting away...

JAMES FRANCO AS OZ!

Seriously? :lol:

Deftones 03-07-14 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12036100)

:up:

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12036107)

:up:

resinrats 03-08-14 12:05 AM

Looks like a case of 'Walking Dead is popular, what can we make to make $$ off its fame'.

Michael Corvin 03-08-14 01:54 AM

A Last of Us film adaptation is a no-brainer given the huge success of the Bioshock, Uncharted and Halo films.

Oliver Clothesoff 03-09-14 06:35 PM

the game was so vivid and well done, a movie seems unnecessary.

Deftones 03-09-14 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats (Post 12037794)
Looks like a case of 'Walking Dead is popular, what can we make to make $$ off its fame'.

have you played the game? the story on the game is pretty spectacular. so while zombies are popular right now, i don't think this has anything to do with how popular they are now.

duff beer 03-09-14 07:47 PM

I once applied to Screen Gems, those cocksuckers never wrote me back. Fuck 'em in the ear. I hope Raimi gives them some bland vanilla cookie for a movie and the company gets dismantled into some food dispensary for the homeless.

Supermallet 03-09-14 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12036360)
This sounds like a terrible idea since it would be the equivalent of paying to watch someone else's playthrough of the game. :down:

Given how tedious actually playing the game is, I wouldn't mind this at all.

RocShemp 03-10-14 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12039043)
Given how tedious actually playing the game is, I wouldn't mind this at all.

To each his own. I enjoyed how sparse ammunition was in the game, forcing you to decide on the fly whether to risk open combat, stealth kills, or simply sneak passed your enemies.

d2cheer 03-10-14 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by duff beer (Post 12039041)
I once applied to Screen Gems, those cocksuckers never wrote me back. Fuck 'em in the ear. I hope Raimi gives them some bland vanilla cookie for a movie and the company gets dismantled into some food dispensary for the homeless.

Your "Shtick" is old, tired, and not amusing.

dex14 03-10-14 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 12039470)

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-conten...y_approves.gif

Solid Snake 03-10-14 09:56 AM

I still don't know or get what his shtick is. Motherfucker needs to relax on making threads though. Too many Duff threads.

DRG 03-10-14 12:51 PM

Having played the game twice, I'm not sure the character dynamics would be as effective condensed down to a 2 hour movie. Plot-wise, it would be pretty easy to pull off.. but for me the whole point was the interaction between the two leads, which worked because of the slow build a 10+ hour game allows.

Best way I can think to fit it in... game spoilers
Spoiler:
I would mash up the Bill's Town and Tommy sequences, cut out Sam and Henry (which sucks, but no way to build those characters effectively with everything else going on - and that's time needed for Joel/Ellie bonding), and rewrite everything from Pittsburgh to the University to focus more on the road trip than the stops.

EddieMoney 03-10-14 12:55 PM

This seems like it could be boring as hell. But then again, I'll watch about anything.

duff beer 03-10-14 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 12039470)

??? Want to have a glass of water, sit down and tell me what's got you down?

RocShemp 03-10-14 02:13 PM

They should just re-release and re-title The Road, dub any references to the boy being male, maybe add some CGI infected, and call it a day.

banthafett 03-10-14 04:27 PM

^ that could work, with how that kid acted like a little bitch for the whole movie.

Deftones 03-10-14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12039409)
To each his own. I enjoyed how sparse ammunition was in the game, forcing you to decide on the fly whether to risk open combat, stealth kills, or simply sneak passed your enemies.

yup. agreed. :up:

RocShemp 03-10-14 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by banthafett (Post 12039964)
^ that could work, with how that kid acted like a little bitch for the whole movie.

The only problem with my idea is that Ellie would probably have skull-fucked that whiney little shit.

Solid Snake 03-10-14 06:34 PM

Ellie has an oversized clit?

I've yet to play the game but I know I'd love it based off everything I've seen.

The boy from the road reacted fine based off how his father protected him so much. Love Duvall's bit in this.

devilshalo 07-25-14 06:30 PM

Sam Raimi, Neil Druckmann surprise with ‘Last of Us’ panel
July 25, 2014 | 1:27 p.m.

With “The Last of Us,” Naughty Dog craftsman Neil Druckmann helped create one of the most emotionally affecting survival games ever released.

Now, as he writes the script for Screen Gems’ upcoming big screen adaptation of “The Last of Us,” he’s endeavoring to make the first truly great video game movie.

Druckmann and filmmaker Sam Raimi, who will produce the film through his Ghost House Pictures banner, surprised the Hall H crowd at Comic-Con International in San Diego on Friday morning with a presentation devoted to the project, which is still in its nascent stages, hoping to stoke fan excitement for its upcoming adaptation of the apocalyptic survival game.

“The Last of Us” was one of the most widely lauded games of 2013. The story tracks Joel, who is hired to smuggle a 14-year-old girl, Ellie, out of a quarantine zone, but their personalities clash as they traverse the once-familiar terrain of Boston, which has become all plant life and crumbling buildings in the wake of an infection that has decimated the human populace.

The intimate character moments between the two leads was one of the things that hooked Raimi, who described himself as a gamer when addressing the audience, and he also stressed that a “Last of Us” movie would closely hew to the game.

“It doesn’t need to be different,” Raimi said. “It just needs to capture the core of what made ‘The Last of Us’ special to so many fans.”

Both Druckmann and Raimi promised a “laser focus” on Joel and Ellie’s relationship in “The Last of Us.” Although the film has yet to be cast and a director yet to be hired, Druckmann mentioned that he had met with “Game of Thrones” actress Maisie Williams, who plays the headstrong Arya Stark on the HBO fantasy, about the role of Ellie.

RocShemp 07-25-14 06:39 PM

It's great that Neil Druckmann is writing the script but I still feel this will be a pointless disaster.

fumanstan 07-25-14 06:45 PM

Blizzard hated his treatment for Warcraft, hopefully he'll do better here with this material. Seems potentially more his style anyway.

dex14 03-05-20 12:00 PM

Craig Mazin, the creator of the acclaimed limited series Chernobyl, is reteaming with HBO to adapt The Last of Us, the massive Sony PlayStation video game franchise.

In a rare development in the world of video game adaptations, the writer and creative director of the game, Neil Druckmann, is also involved and will work with Mazin to pen and executive produce what is intended to be a series.

Carolyn Strauss will also executive produce along with Evan Wells, the president of Naughty Dog, the Santa Monica-based developer of the game. The project is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television in association with PlayStation Productions. It will be the first television series from PlayStation Productions.

Launched in 2013, Sony and Naughty Dog's The Last of Us garnered critical praise for its engrossing tale of the postapocalypse, centering on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenager who may be key to a cure for the deadly pandemic.

Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival. The HBO series will cover the events of the original game, which was written by Druckmann, with the possibility of additional content based on the forthcoming game sequel, The Last of Us Part II, which will release on May 29, 2020.

Mazin, who is said to be an avid player of the game, stated, "Neil Druckmann is without question the finest storyteller working in the video game medium, and The Last of Us is his magnum opus. Getting a chance to adapt this breathtaking work of art has been a dream of mine for years, and I'm so honored to do it in partnership with Neil."

"From the first time I sat down to talk with Craig I was equally blown away by his approach to narrative and his love and deep understanding of The Last of Us," said Druckmann in a statement. "With Chernobyl, Craig and HBO created a tense, harrowing, emotional masterpiece. I couldn't think of better partners to bring the story of The Last of Us to life as a television show."

The Last of Us won numerous "game of the year" awards and went on to sell more than 17 million copies across both its original release on the PlayStation 3 and a remastered version on PlayStation 4.

"This is an incredibly exciting opportunity for us to partner with Craig, Neil, Carolyn and the teams at Sony, Naughty Dog and PlayStation to bring the virtual world of this acclaimed game to life," stated HBO programming president Casey Bloys.

"This is the first of many shows we intend to develop with our friends at PlayStation Productions," said Chris Parnell, co-president of Sony Pictures Television Studios. The Last of Us is a brilliant achievement in storytelling and character development, and we are lucky to have the opportunity to work with this team to adapt it."

Druckmann is a longtime vet of Naughty Dog, starting as a programming intern in 2004. In 2007, he was given the role of game designer on Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, the first installment in the action adventure series. In 2013, he created The Last of Us, based on a concept he developed as a student at Carnegie Mellon University.

Mazin's Chernobyl tackled a bleak and complex true-life event and became a must-see show for HBO. The show won an Emmy for outstanding limited series and landed one for Mazin for outstanding writing. Mazin also won a PGA award and a WGA award.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...rF7Cuz6BXs4YL4

lopper 03-05-20 02:13 PM

re: The Last of Us - news, rumors, etc.

This is great news. I think this will work really well as a series.

VinVega 03-05-20 03:51 PM

This sounds interesting. I would watch this. I never played the game, but as far as post apocalypse stuff goes, it looked really cool.

Koby 03-05-20 08:50 PM

Very hyped for this. Loved the story of the games.

Decker 03-05-20 09:09 PM

Either of recent HBO series vets Nikolaj Coster-Waldau or Justin Theroux would be great at Joel.

d2cheer 03-06-20 07:12 AM

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Yeah he would be perfect not the other guy, not tough looking enough.

dstrauss 03-06-20 07:16 PM

I didn't play the game, but I watched the cutscenes as a 6 hour movie over the space of a week a few years back. I am so excited for this, and for HBO to do it and have the guy from "Chernobyl" in charge is a really good sign.

Tom Banjo 03-06-20 10:31 PM

I almost bought myself a PS4 with my Christmas money, but decided to wait until the PS5 comes out later this year (since Sony claims it will be backwards compatible). This game has been #1 on my “want to play” list for quite a while now.

Koby 03-07-20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13699561)
decided to wait until the PS5 comes out later this year

It's possible it might end up delayed till next year at some point due to Corona.