Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Hannibal --> Season Premiere --> "Kaiseki" --> 2/28/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How did you like the season premiere?
56.52%
17.39%
17.39%
4.35%
4.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Hannibal --> Season Premiere --> "Kaiseki" --> 2/28/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Hannibal --> Season Premiere --> "Kaiseki" --> 2/28/14

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I'm an oddball ... I have Prime for the streaming and the free book each month. Shipping is just a bonus when I order something.

Will the new episodes be hitting shortly after airing (like Under the Dome)? Or are they just doing full seasons when they are done?
Amazon Prime has the rights for when the entire season hits home video.

If you're unable to watch the current season on TV on Friday nights, episodes will be on NBC.com and Hulu.
Old 03-02-14, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Great start to the season. I'd like to see it all the way through the entire book series, though in some ways they are making it better than the source material.
Old 03-03-14, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
When that fight hit the screen, was very surprised at how good and intense it was. Wasn't expecting that.
I think Fishburne was channeling Morpheus for a few seconds there. Great fight scene!

The only thing is that if this series stays consistent with the movies, then we know certain characters are not going to be killed off.
Old 03-03-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this show, but I don't think we're going to get to the plots of the movies. I think the showrunner was saying that we would get to Red Dragon in season 4 and Silence in season 5, but I would be surprised if this show gets a third season, let alone a 4th or 5th. But I'm on board for however long it lasts, because this show is just wonderful.
Old 03-03-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I love this show, but I don't think we're going to get to the plots of the movies. I think the showrunner was saying that we would get to Red Dragon in season 4 and Silence in season 5, but I would be surprised if this show gets a third season, let alone a 4th or 5th. But I'm on board for however long it lasts, because this show is just wonderful.
The fact that this show plays late on Friday nights does not bode well but there are a lot of angles they can play to keep this in production. For starters, its an international production and if it does well overseas (and I have no idea if it does) as well as streaming and on video they might be able to make it work.
Old 03-03-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not only that, but it's not like NBC has a lot of options. That said, I'm going to enjoy what is, and not worry too much about what may be. Hell, this second season is a gift in and of itself.
Old 03-03-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It seems like Hannibal will have to end up in custody at the end of this season based on the flash forward we saw. Unless he ends up on the run, but that would rob us of Will/Hannibal interactions.

I know they said season 4 for Red Dragon, but what would they put in between? It seems like it might be smarter to excelorate that in case the show doesn't get a season 4.
Old 03-03-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I was under the impression that they didn't have the rights to Silence of the Lambs.
Old 03-03-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I was under the impression that they didn't have the rights to Silence of the Lambs.
I thought they just didn't have the rights to Clarice. But you're probably right, and it is the entire Silence of the Lambs story. Either way, I'm actually not too wild about any of the stories outside of Red Dragon being adapted for the show. I'm sure this show could put a neat spin on the stories of Silence and Hannibal, but what's been so enjoyable is living in the unknown with these characters. Sure, we know where they end up, but this prequel space of Hannibal and Will's life is just delicious. I can't think of many prequel things that felt this well realized.
Old 03-03-14, 07:06 PM

That was great.I am surprised they showed some much in a premiere for a second season.
Old 03-03-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I thought they just didn't have the rights to Clarice. But you're probably right, and it is the entire Silence of the Lambs story.
It might just be Clarice, or characters unique to that particular novel. I think that another network was preparing a series based on Clarice Starling and/or SOTL. Seems like it would be difficult to do SOTL without Clarice Starling, but they could always take it in a different direction with a different character.

I remember reading an early draft of the Silence of the Lambs script, and they had changed the names of the characters who appeared in Manhunter (and the novel Red Dragon); in the script Hannibal Lecter was called "Gideon Quinn," Jack Crawford was "Ray Campbell," and Frederick Chilton was "Herbert Prentiss." Presumably this was because the novels, though they share characters, were sold separately.
Old 03-03-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
The fact that this show plays late on Friday nights does not bode well but there are a lot of angles they can play to keep this in production. For starters, its an international production and if it does well overseas (and I have no idea if it does) as well as streaming and on video they might be able to make it work.
Plus it is SOO good it could easily get picked up by Netflix or Audience for a few more seasons.

BTW Gillian Andersen is still relatively attractive.....
Old 03-04-14, 12:06 AM

Hannibal is the most compelling show on television right now. I have become so bored and jaded with most television and I multitask while watching stuff. Hannibal sucked me right in, held on, and never let go. I thought I was going to find this entire season incredibly difficult to watch because I hate the wrong-man-imprisoned theme, but the opening sequence shut down that hate instantly. If this season was released all at once on netflix I'd binge watch all night long until my brain melted.
Old 03-04-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another cool thing about this show: "Kaiseki" is a traditional Japanese multi-course meal. The remaining twelve episode titles are named after one of those courses, in the order in which they'd be typically served.
Old 03-05-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by malichai
Hannibal is the most compelling show on television right now. I have become so bored and jaded with most television and I multitask while watching stuff. Hannibal sucked me right in, held on, and never let go. I thought I was going to find this entire season incredibly difficult to watch because I hate the wrong-man-imprisoned theme, but the opening sequence shut down that hate instantly. If this season was released all at once on netflix I'd binge watch all night long until my brain melted.
I think the title of most compelling show on television goes to True Detective for me, but Hannibal certainly is right there. And speaking of True Detective, while I think it's a better show than Hannibal (it's like saying one thing is really great, and the other thing is great), I feel like Hannibal is a show that deserves the sort of attention True Detective is getting. It feels that rich to me. It's a bit more fantastical, but if the first season and premiere deal with some pretty intriguing stuff. I really wonder if this show would get more of a look if it was on HBO, FX, or AMC.