TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Following -- "Reflection" -- 2/17/14

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Following -- "Reflection" -- 2/17/14

Synopsis:

RYAN HARDY CAPTURES A DANGEROUS SUSPECT ON AN ALL-NEW "THE FOLLOWING" MONDAY, FEBRUARY 17, ON FOX

In an attempt to learn new information, Ryan and Max capture a suspect. But complications lead to a game of dangerous cat and mouse. Also, Joe grows accustomed to his surroundings and establishes a plan of his own, while Emma realizes she is in dangerous company in the all-new "Reflection" episode of THE FOLLOWING airing Monday, Feb. 17 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FOL-205) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Kevin Bacon as Ryan Hardy; James Purefoy as Joe Carroll; Shawn Ashmore as Agent Mike Weston; Valorie Curry as Emma Hill; Connie Nielsen as Lily Gray; Sam Underwood as Luke; Jessica Stroup as Max Hardy; Tiffany Boone as Mandy Lang

Guest Cast: Valerie Cruz as Agent Gina Mendez; Camille De Pazzis as Giselle; Bambadjan Bamba as Sami; Wendy Hoopes as Bella

Episode 5 of 15
Old 02-18-14, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Following -- "Reflection" -- 2/17/14

Wow, a show is sure going downhill when the haters haven't posted anything yet about this week's episode.
Old 02-18-14, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Kind of all over the place. Ryan annoyed me in this episode.

at how Joe was disgusted being presented that college girl and then quickly changed his mind about killing her.

at how Joe got sexually aroused after the kill.

Ryan killing that annoying French chick. At least that was a good kill.
Old 02-18-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what to think of myself. I stopped watching Revolution, Intelligence, some other shows like this, quality wise, but I'm up to date with this one. Watched it "live" last night.
Old 02-18-14, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
Wow, a show is sure going downhill when the haters haven't posted anything yet about this week's episode.
We all left.

I gave it two episodes this Season and the writers were still making stupid decisions.
Old 02-18-14, 09:52 AM

After a couple of really mediocre episodes this season, this show appears to be getting its mojo back. I thought this episode was great! They revisited even more of the crazy that I thought the show didn't have enough of starting out this season. I am now back to thinking that Lily is the creepy twins' biological mother. Mark freaking out about not wanting Emma to touch him had all the earmarks of sexual abuse. I think Lily may have molested her boys when they were growing up. Next week looks like a highly suspenseful episode; the kind I have been waiting for this season to get to.
Old 02-18-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I keep watching for the unintended humor like Emma calling the new followers crazy. Hey pot meet kettle.
Old 02-18-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

the one twin seemed to be a bit upset with Lily's interest in Joe. if she did abuse them it doesnt seem like he minded very much.
Old 02-19-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Am I the only one really annoyed with the way Hardy/Bacon holds a gun? I mean he's got that baby about an inch from his eyeball...no FBI agent would hold a gun that close to their face when pursuing a criminal. Someone get Fox Mulder in here for some training.

Not a bad episode this week...although I wish the writers would realize that what we really want to see is Hardy vs. Carroll. I could care less about the twins, their mother, or even Emma.
Old 02-20-14, 07:49 PM

Kinda a "meh" episode though they did advance the story thru idiocy, as usual. Giselle slips her handcuffs - yeah, because they wouldn't have been clinched down tight when Ryan was trying to convince her he would resort to torture - and then, having knocked out the niece, she doesn't take the time to kill her. Right. Then Ryan gets the drops on two psychotic serial killers and doesn't instantly drop them when they don't obey his commands, especially the one with the submachine gun. Instead, he gets in a cat and mouse gunfight, eventually killing the subgunner and decides then to run away rather than continuing the fight and possibly capturing or killing one of the necro twins. Of course, he manages to get wounded even though every shot fired at him in the gunfight clearly missed and runs into Giselle, killing her thru evisceration. Which was cool. Then he hides behind a bulletproof couch when the necro twin empties a mag at point blank range and escapes that without a scratch.

The Emma comedy is gold, though. Pot and kettle, indeed.
Old 02-20-14, 11:07 PM

I love this show because it's a relative breath of fresh air on network TV, not another 'murder of the week' procedural. Likewise, it's really trying to test my patience/interest. Seems like another "We had an awesome idea for a 13-episode story." *ratings success!* "Oh sh!t, let's work this puppy for all its got! Smoke monster, Inc!"

I also feel like the Powers That Be think they've really got something on their hands with this crazy murder family - and they don't. It merely feels convoluted and absurd. "Weird, meet weirder! The story potential there will write itself! We am geniuseses!!!"

Same thing with Emma - "We've got a great character, adding a dynamic love triangle for Joe, a blinded by love devotee, yadda yadda." Emma should have been killed off/written out. Joe should have been the only returnee, because at the end of the day this has always been about Joe and only Joe. It is the Joe Story, and he's the star in his mind. When sh!* went down last season's end, he writes everybody else off and moves on to his next scheme. Bringing her back... yeah, not working.

This episode in particular? They should've killed nutty Twin #B off. The fact they didn't... bothers me. Shows like this, you need to feel no one is safe. The fact they kept him alive, but miraculously had the crazy chick escape from the niece, miraculously arrive there in time, just in time to get killed by Ryan so Twin #A could go nuts avenging his beloved? Tells me the writers are in love with their twin concept and are going to play it out for all it's worth and that Momma and her boys are going to be safe until at least the season finale. They should have killed him, not just for the "no one is safe" angle but for the story payoff as well - it would've driven Momma nuts and it *really* would've driven the other twin off the edge, allowing us to discover the "soft" twin is the real nightmare.

More importantly, it would've solidified the link between Ryan/Good Guys and these new nut jobs - they'd have a vested interest in going head to head. Right now, and it still is, they're only involved to get to Joe. Now they have him. Killing the Twin would have strengthened the conflict with these new parties this season, but instead they went the ridiculously unbelievable route to absurdly have nutty girl end up getting killed - who somehow didn't kill Ryan's niece, miraculously.
Old 02-21-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 45shooter
Kinda a "meh" episode though they did advance the story thru idiocy, as usual. Giselle slips her handcuffs - yeah, because they wouldn't have been clinched down tight when Ryan was trying to convince her he would resort to torture
This is the first episode that started to bother me this season (I stopped watching last season and caught up on DVR after the season was over). I agree with pretty much everything you said except the handcuffs thing. Real or not (I haven't tried it), it's accepted in TV Land that if you break your thumbs, you can get out of handcuffs, which is what they showed her doing.
Old 02-22-14, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The stuff with Ryan and his niece is simply not working for me. I guess it means less screen time for the incompetent FBI task force, which can never be a bad thing.
Old 03-18-14, 02:51 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

just watched this episode

I liked Ryan getting some kills from the Crazy family

Joe disappointed me killing that girl