Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dexter: When should I stop watching?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: When should I stop watching Dexter?
Season 4
55.00%
Season 5
15.00%
Season 6
10.00%
Season 7
5.00%
Season 8
15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just finished watching Seasons 1-4 on Netflix. It's pretty good and I like it so far, but I know the popular opinion is that the show really starts to suffer in quality somewhere between Seasons 5-8. I don't want to invest any more of my time in it once it starts to suck, so I'll ask you guys: When did Dexter really start to go south?

I'm pretty good with how Season 4 ended, but of course I am curious to see what happens if/when Deb and the rest of the gang at Miami Metro Homicide find out about Dexter's dark passenger. . .

(Season 8 series finale spoilers)

Spoiler:
I already know that Dexter fakes his own death and escapes to Oregon to become a lumberjack or something in the series finale.

That's all I know about how the show ends, and I'd like to keep it that way.

(Yes, originally I mistakenly posted this in the wrong forum. I'm stupid, ha, ha, ha. Thanks for moving it.)

Last edited by Matt; 01-30-14 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dexter: When should I stop watching?

You should probably stop when you start thinking Dexter is a video game.
Old 01-30-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaand we're done here.
Old 01-30-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd stop right where you are. There are plenty of other good shows lately that should be watched over 5-8 of dexter.
Old 01-30-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I honestly think the series has literally the worst finale of anything i've watched in the past 20 years. That being said, I thought seasons 1-5 and 7 were strong with six being very weak. 8 being atrocious.
Old 01-30-14, 01:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You're fine stopping now. Five and Seven are "okay". Six and Eight are nigh-unwatchable.
Old 01-30-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

It's all downhill from Season 4.
Old 01-30-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're going to keep going:

Watch the first 4 episodes of Season 5.

Spoiler:
For that part of the season, Dexter is trying to handle the fall out of Rita's murder. He turns into a loose cannon, which proves to be dangerous considering what Dexter is capable of. After awhile though the season completely shifts focus and that's when it gets blah.

Skip all of season 6 and read this spoiler instead

Spoiler:
At the very end of the season, Deb walks in and Dexter killing the season's main villain. Season ends right there.

Watch all of season 7.

Don't watch any of season 8. Yes, there are some good parts to it in the beginning of the season that are worth watching but the end of season 7 works as a series finale, in a way, and you might as well let it end there.

With that said, if you stop watching right now, you're fine. Nothing further is needed.
Old 01-30-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watch all 8 seasons. Just know that its all downhill after season 4. And I doubt anyone can actually stop at the end of season 4 given the way it ends.

There are 48 episodes between seasons 5-8. I don't think a single Dexter episode hits the 1-hour mark. Nobody's time is so valuable that they can't waste 48 hours watching mediocre-to-average television episodes.

I know I would rather watch and decide for myself than let a bunch of people online decide for me. I personally loathed season 8 but found 5-7 to be watchable in spite of their inferior quality. But you may be different. Plus you always have the option of bailing on the show if you find it intolerable.
Old 01-30-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

What Goat3001 said except I liked what Julia Stiles brought to season five so I'd watch all of that. I'm in the minority though.
Old 01-30-14, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
If you're going to keep going:

Watch the first 4 episodes of Season 5.

Spoiler:
For that part of the season, Dexter is trying to handle the fall out of Rita's murder. He turns into a loose cannon, which proves to be dangerous considering what Dexter is capable of. After awhile though the season completely shifts focus and that's when it gets blah.

Skip all of season 6 and read this spoiler instead

Spoiler:
At the very end of the season, Deb walks in and Dexter killing the season's main villain. Season ends right there.

Watch all of season 7.

Don't watch any of season 8. Yes, there are some good parts to it in the beginning of the season that are worth watching but the end of season 7 works as a series finale, in a way, and you might as well let it end there.

With that said, if you stop watching right now, you're fine. Nothing further is needed.
Wow that is certainly very specific. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
What Goat3001 said except I liked what Julia Stiles brought to season five so I'd watch all of that. I'm in the minority though.
Wait--Julia Stiles is in Season 5? Good to know, 'cause I can't stand her. I'm out.
Old 01-30-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't listen to anyone. Listen to yourself.

It's easy. No one will stop when the show is good. So if season 4 was good, most people will continue watching.

So my suggestion is stop watching as soon as you get bored, think the show is derailing. It can happen anytime after season 4, yeah. Basically, as soon as you see the show going bad, don't think that it can get better. The show gets worse every episode, every season.
Old 01-30-14, 03:39 PM
M&J

Watch everything... You gonna love the end..... Not!
Old 01-30-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

This has been discussed to death lately it seems. I'll just re-post my feelings from another recent thread:

I'll say upon initial viewing I liked season five even though it was less good than what came before it. Season six is predictable and probably one of the show's overall weaker seasons. Season seven kind of seemed like it was trying to get back to where the show was with it's earlier seasons and has some decent moments despite not being perfect. Season eight pretty much made me hate the show. Overall the show isn't the worst ever made or anything but it definitely became a shadow of itself after season four and just wound up being disappointing.
So yeah basically the first four are the best, five is still pretty decent, six I honestly don't think is as bad as most people say it's just really predictable which hurts it, seven is good, and eight is a steaming pile of shit that ruined the show. Season eight actually I thought had some moments here and there at the beginning of the season. The big thing that hurts it is just how borderline retarded the characters became for the most part (which had already happened before this season but for some reason this season seemed to amplify it) and the fact that the writers seemed to drop every major storyline they set up in season seven. I honestly have no idea what they were thinking. The whole season ideally would just be scrapped and forgotten about and totally re-done if it were up to me but that'll never happen. Just such a disappointment for what started as one of the most promising shows in recent memory.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-30-14 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

If you like it now, you'll probably still like it.

The finale was rough but I didn't have any major issues with the rest of the seasons. They tried a lot of different things - some worked, some didn't but I appreciated the effort.

I think people are being too hard on the show in general. It was a decent ride and I enjoyed most of it.
Old 01-30-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I liked season five until the last couple minutes of the finale.

Spoiler:
The sheet of plastic that kept Deb from seeing Dexter. Ugh. Deb should have found out about Dexter right then.

Even though I liked five, if someone is going to stop prematurely, the end of four is probably a better stopping point than the end of five.
Old 01-30-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
If you like it now, you'll probably still like it.

The finale was rough but I didn't have any major issues with the rest of the seasons. They tried a lot of different things - some worked, some didn't but I appreciated the effort.

I think people are being too hard on the show in general. It was a decent ride and I enjoyed most of it.
No I really don't think so. Season eight is such a pile of shit it essentially ruined the rest of the series for me. It's hard to watch the earlier episodes now when you know the series doesn't have a remotely satisfying conclusion. Scott Buck and his team of writers are a group of idiots. There were so many more ways they could have ended the show and done it well. They set up the end game for the series so well in season seven and then in season eight they just threw everything out the damn window. Season six also had it's fair share of issues despite the fact I don't hate it. The shining example is maybe the stupidest thing the series ever did
Spoiler:
Deb in love with Dexter, just totally moronic and such a "what the fuck were they thinking" moment
Not to mention basically every character that isn't Dexter seem basically brain dead and probably the most incompetent group of crime scene investigators and detectives of all time. It was like that early on too I think but in the later seasons it was just amplified and it was hard to take any of the characters seriously. Every time you thought they might advance one of them and were giving them a storyline that could have went somewhere it was dropped. Just poor writing all around on the show particularly in the later seasons.
Old 01-31-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I find it pretty safe to stop watching after S4. As much as I like S5, it's not really essential and some plot holes started to become pretty apparent. S6 is pretty forgettable and should be skipped. S7 was better but some of the plotlines annoyed me. It's just ok for me but what irks me is that S8 never really expands on the cliffhanger of S7 and just kinda ignores it. S8 is a boring pile of shit as has been previously noted.
Old 01-31-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would stop now.

I stopped after season 5. I wanted to see where they took the show after the S4 ending so I watched S5 as it aired and it was OK, but not really worth watching. Also, despite not being a Stiles fan myself I thought she did pretty good on the show and her story was actually pretty good. As usual it was the Non-Dexter crap from the series regulars that really dragged the show down for me.

I think if I knew the basics of the finale it would be easier to just live with the S4 ending.

Personally if it were someone completely new to the show I would say watch S1 and that's it. Not that all of the following season are bad, but none really hold a candle to the first season.
Old 01-31-14, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno I think that season two is about equal to or maybe even a bit better than season one honestly. I liked pretty much everything about that season except Lila got on my nerves a bit after a while.
Spoiler:
The only other thing is why they did the Bay Harbor Butcher storyline so early is beyond me though even though I thought it was great. That should have wrapped up in the final seasons, like season seven made us think might happen in the final season.
Season three was also good I thought even though a lot of people complained about it when it aired. I didn't think it was quite as strong as the first two but it was still good. Season four is for sure on the same level as season one and two. It's amazing looking back how much momentum the show had going for it at that time and how it just progressively dwindled after that.
Old 01-31-14, 09:24 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
No I really don't think so. Season eight is such a pile of shit it essentially ruined the rest of the series for me. It's hard to watch the earlier episodes now when you know the series doesn't have a remotely satisfying conclusion. Scott Buck and his team of writers are a group of idiots. There were so many more ways they could have ended the show and done it well. They set up the end game for the series so well in season seven and then in season eight they just threw everything out the damn window. Season six also had it's fair share of issues despite the fact I don't hate it. The shining example is maybe the stupidest thing the series ever did
Spoiler:
Deb in love with Dexter, just totally moronic and such a "what the fuck were they thinking" moment
Not to mention basically every character that isn't Dexter seem basically brain dead and probably the most incompetent group of crime scene investigators and detectives of all time. It was like that early on too I think but in the later seasons it was just amplified and it was hard to take any of the characters seriously. Every time you thought they might advance one of them and were giving them a storyline that could have went somewhere it was dropped. Just poor writing all around on the show particularly in the later seasons.
It sounds like the writers are being good soldiers and saying it's their vision but clearly Season 8 was a function of what some idiot Showtime execs wanted