TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Killer Women (ABC) -- Series thread -- Starring Tricia Helfer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Killer Women (ABC) -- Series thread -- Starring Tricia Helfer

Synopsis:

TRICIA HELFER STARS AS MOLLY PARKER - A BALLSY, BADASS TEXAS RANGER - IN THE ARRESTING "KILLER WOMEN," PREMIERING JANUARY 7 ON ABC

"La Sicaria" - Of all the notorious lawmen that ever patrolled the violent frontier, none are more storied than the Texas Rangers. Ballsy and badass Molly Parker (Tricia Helfer) is one of the first women to join this elite group of law enforcement agents. From executive producer Sof�a Vergara ("Modern Family") and creator Hannah Shakespeare ("The Raven"), "Killer Women" takes us inside the dangerous world of the Texas Rangers from a female perspective. In "La Sicaria," Molly is on the hunt to find the woman who killed an Assistant District Attorney inside a church during her wedding ceremony, in the series premiere, TUESDAY, JANUARY 7 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET/PT) on ABC.

Molly is committed to finding the truth and seeing justice served. In a male-dominated world, she is aided by her sixth sense for why women kill -- rarely out of hatred, usually for what they love. Standing squarely behind her is her boss, Company Commander Luis Zea. Molly also has the support of her loving family, including her brother Billy and his wife Becca. On the verge of getting divorced from her narcissistic husband, Jake, Molly relishes her newfound freedom as she begins an affair with a sexy, dangerously handsome DEA agent, Dan Winston.

"Killer Women" stars Tricia Helfer as Molly Parker, Marc Blucas as Dan Winston, Marta Milans as Becca Parker, Michael Trucco as Billy Parker, and Alex Fernandez as Luis Zea.

Guest Cast: Alexandra Pomales as Hailee Parker, Siena Nicole Agudong as Lulu Parker, Nadine Velazquez as Martina Alvarez, Vic Trevino as Guillermo Salazar, Jeffrey Nordling as Jake Colton, Brad Leland as Wily Whitman, Shane Jacobsen as Jason Bluford, and Alison Viktorin as Heather Mendelsohn.

8 episodes ordered

C'mon now, what's another new TV series to add to your already packed schedules?

I like Tricia Helfer and it's a very short season, so that's a plus.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hLdPeUeA2KU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-08-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Killer Women -- Series Premiere (Tricia Helfer) -- "La Sicaria" -- 1/07/14

I actually kind of liked this. Tricia was good and she provided enough depth to the Parker character that I actually cared about her. And really? Jeffrey Nordling being cast as another scumbag ex-husband? This is like the 3rd ABC show that has cast him in that type of part.

The promos for this seemed a little hokey and especially the constant plugs that Sofia Vergara produced it. Maybe that turned off some people? It's too bad, because the case with Nadine Velazquez's character and the reason she committed that murder in the church had a little more serious and darker tone to it. I guess Tricia isn't really a huge household name outside of BSG.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised it got buried in the ratings by Chicago Fire and Person of Interest. Not enough viewers at all that hour.

I'm in for the next 7 episodes (if they air)
Old 01-08-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

I don't understand the constant plugs for Vergara. She's eye candy, so who cares if you don't see her.
Old 01-08-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,019 Likes on 842 Posts

Vergara is way overexposed already, and why the hell should I think she knows how to produce a TV series?

However, I might take a look at this show.
Old 01-08-14, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't understand the constant plugs for Vergara. She's eye candy, so who cares if you don't see her.
She's the only famous person associated with it, they need something to plug it with.
Old 01-08-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Didn't Vergara also co-produce the American remake of Betty La Fea? That would probably explain why her name as producer is being featured in the marketing.
Old 01-08-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Didn't Vergara also co-produce the American remake of Betty La Fea? That would probably explain why her name as producer is being featured in the marketing.
That was Salma Hayek. You're confusing your spicy Latinas!
Old 01-08-14, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the first episode started off interesting, but it quickly became just another by-the-numbers story, which was disappointing. But I can't take my eyes off of Tricia Helfer when she's on the screen, so I'll tune in again.
Old 01-08-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only made it through 30 minutes and shut it off. Boring. I don't know Tricia Helfer from anything but she seemed to channeling KaDee Strickland from Private practice. I kept thinking it was the same actress, the voices were identical.
Old 01-09-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I only made it through 30 minutes and shut it off. Boring. I don't know Tricia Helfer from anything but she seemed to channeling KaDee Strickland from Private practice. I kept thinking it was the same actress, the voices were identical.
She's most famous for playing Number 6 on Battlestar Galactica. She was also a lead on Dark Blue with Dylan McDermott and has been a frequent guest star on a lot of shows. She had a big arc on Burn Notice a few seasons ago as well. But she isn't really a household name outside of the science fiction crowd.
Old 01-09-14, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know Tricia Helfer from anything
Surprising you say you don't know her since you criticized a few of us for not thinking she was all that in one of the Burn Notice threads. I think you even brought up thinking she looked good in Battlestar Galactica.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-09-14 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

I liked it... The rescue was a little bit of a groaner but otherwise thumbs up. Trisha looks great as always and nice to see they kept her brother within the cylon family.
Old 01-09-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

I only made it through 30 minutes and shut it off. Boring.
You missed the absurd sequence of them escaping (well except that poor Mexican dude who was helping them) from an army of cartel henchmen with automatic weapons.
Old 01-09-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprising you say you don't know her since you criticized a few of us for not thinking she was all that in one of the Burn Notice threads. I think you even brought up thinking she looked good in Battlestar Galactica.
? I have never seen Battlestar Galactica. At least, not the re-boot. Unless she was in the 70's version.

I did watch the first few seasons of Burn Notice, but don't remember her in that. What role did she play?
Old 01-09-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

She played Carla. Michael's handler from management.
Old 01-09-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not everyone can watch everything under the sun...
Old 01-09-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
Not everyone can watch everything under the sun...
No but she appeared in the specific season that Djariya is mentioning and that' when Jazdia criticized quite a few posters for not finding Tricia Helfer attractive. Which is why I find it funny that she now totally forgot a woman she felt compelled to defend (regarding her looks) on a random TV episode thread.

It's no big deal, really. Just amusing.
Old 01-09-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I DVR'd this but deleted it from my DVR before watching because the promo's kinda made it look stupid. I think a lot of other people probably felt the same way about it.
Old 01-09-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
She played Carla. Michael's handler from management.
Didn't he have about a dozen handlers through the course of the show? I honestly completely forget she was on Burn Notice. I respect your memory though between knowing she was on the show and remembering her character name.
Old 01-09-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No but she appeared in the specific season that Djariya is mentioning and that' when Jazdia criticized quite a few posters for not finding Tricia Helfer attractive. Which is why I find it funny that she now totally forgot a woman she felt compelled to defend (regarding her looks) on a random TV episode thread.

It's no big deal, really. Just amusing.
I don't recall that. But maybe it was more of a response to a bunch of men criticizing a woman for her looks? It's not like I had an allegiance to some random actress from a show I don't even remember that well.
Old 01-09-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From doing a forum Search for Helfer and pulling up the Burn Notice threads, this was apparently my only post about this actress.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/8820745-post15.html

I don't think she is ugly either, but I think I know what some are saying. On Burn Notice she kind of has that "attractive woman in a mundane commercial" look about her. Like on a drug commercial or something, they always have a woman who is supposed to be a mom, who is attractive and would be the hottest thing at soccer practice but not a stunner by Hollywood standards.
I like her look much better in the pic GatorDeb posted (I confess I have never seen BG.)
Quite different than me "criticizing quite a few posters", but ok.
Old 01-10-14, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is the new BSG any good? I've heard mixed things.
Old 01-10-14, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
It's very good. Sometimes even great and sometimes unfortunately bad. It's definitely worth watching though. "Exodus Part 2" is still one of my favorite episodes of any TV show ever.
Old 01-10-14, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I tried getting into it but ended up bored by it. Funny enough, I ended up really enjoying the mostly hated Caprica series that followed.
Old 01-10-14, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

From doing a forum Search for Helfer and pulling up the Burn Notice threads, this was apparently my only post about this actress.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/8820745-post15.html

Quite different than me "criticizing quite a few posters", but ok.
Then I misremembered. I apologize.

EDIT: It seems my memory mashed posts #5, #8, and #15 into one giant post and attributed all to you since you were the last in the small-ish chain.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-10-14 at 05:04 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.