Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL -- 12/21/13 -- H: Jimmy Fallon -- MG: Justin Timberlake

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL -- 12/21/13 -- H: Jimmy Fallon -- MG: Justin Timberlake

Old 12-22-13, 12:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: SNL -- 12/21/13 -- H: Jimmy Fallon -- MG: Justin Timberlake

I thought the JT/Fallon 'Bring it on down' and Barry Gibb talk show were the weakest parts of the show altho I expected them to do both since so many people seem to enjoy them. I don't get it. I didn't chuckle once and thought it was uncomfortable to see Madonna 's pointless cameo and Fallon's obvious fawning to placate her ego. Barry Gibb being there seemed irrelevant and added nothing. I wonder why they wasted his time.

The rest of the show was great save for Timberlake's weak songs off his weak album sequel.

Cecily Strong seems to be getting the plum female roles in the skits even though Kate McKinnon has the stronger comedic presence.

Sad to see Nasim and Vanessa getting pushed to the side since they are veterans. Nasim in particular always delivers (love her Kim) but I think they are both probably just don't appeal to the mainstream as much even though both are certainly pretty.
Old 12-22-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I just don't get why they only bring in good writers for the Timberlake episodes?
Old 12-22-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
I thought the JT/Fallon 'Bring it on down' and Barry Gibb talk show were the weakest parts of the show altho I expected them to do both since so many people seem to enjoy them. I don't get it. I didn't chuckle once and thought it was uncomfortable to see Madonna 's pointless cameo and Fallon's obvious fawning to placate her ego. Barry Gibb being there seemed irrelevant and added nothing. I wonder why they wasted his time.

The rest of the show was great save for Timberlake's weak songs off his weak album sequel.

Cecily Strong seems to be getting the plum female roles in the skits even though Kate McKinnon has the stronger comedic presence.

Sad to see Nasim and Vanessa getting pushed to the side since they are veterans. Nasim in particular always delivers (love her Kim) but I think they are both probably just don't appeal to the mainstream as much even though both are certainly pretty.
So you went to bed disgruntled ?

I thought this was the best episode of the year. JT kills it every time. I thought to myself last night that maybe he should join the cast.
Old 12-22-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
So you went to bed disgruntled ?

I thought this was the best episode of the year. JT kills it every time. I thought to myself last night that maybe he should join the cast.

Apparently they have tried to get him on but the bottom line is that he is a pretty big star in both music and movies and probably wouldn't have the time to contribute the way he would like. He seems intent on giving 100% every appearance , and I doubt he would want to do something where people start saying "what happened to him? he was good at one time."

Fallon is an interesting case in that he was never a major SNL player. He just started hosting gigs for major award shows and that lead to his rise in late night.
Old 12-22-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts

Barry Gibb being there seemed irrelevant and added nothing. I wonder why they wasted his time.
My guess is that it was a largely symbolic cameo, and more a way for him to give his "permission" for them to do it, especially given Robin's passing.
Old 12-22-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of the Cold Outside sketch, it seemed like Cecily Strong was waiting for Fallon to kiss her. It seemed a bit uncomfortable. Anyone else notice it?
Old 12-22-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't really watch SNL regularly, but just tune in on occasion and did so last night for Fallon and Timberlake knowing that they're pretty funny together. I didn't realize there's so many attractive ladies on SNL at the moment

That's become something of a trend over the past several years. Each passing week Aidy Bryant looks more like she's there so SNL doesn't look like they're discriminating against women based on physical appearance. While some do have comedic talent, they come across as actresses who are doing this for steady work as opposed to comedic actresses.
Old 12-22-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

So iow, you're saying that Aidy is their token "fat cow"?
Old 12-22-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Vanessa, Aidy and Kate are my 3 favorite women on the show for laughs. Nasim and Cecily are good, but not as consistently funny.
Old 12-22-13, 06:15 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

Kate looks fucking HOT when they slut her up. I mean, she's still got those crazy eyes...
Old 12-22-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The women have certainly stood out more than the men latel, but maybe there should be more plain chicks. SNL has always had plenty of those.
Old 12-23-13, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i loved that they actually cut to Fallon when he cracked up during the Family Feud skit. And JT & Keenan managed to keep a straight face
Old 12-23-13, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,321 Likes on 953 Posts

Having Justin Timberlake play Jimmy Fallon seemed like a move designed to try to make Fallon lose it.

Wonder if he knew going into the sketch that Timberlake was going to be playing him?
Old 12-23-13, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I just don't get why they only bring in good writers for the Timberlake episodes?
Maybe because he's one of the few guest stars that actually puts some work into his appearances. So many celebs think they can just show up and read the cue cards.
Old 12-23-13, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

I think these two could prove to be the new "Tina and Amy" - I hope they put Kate in Seth's spot next season for Weekend Update.
Old 12-23-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Nasim and Cecily are good, but not as consistently funny.
I think Cecily has found her role on WU. I think like Fey she's not great in the sketches but is perfect on WU. She was great on the "It's Cold Outside" sketch though.

I think they're feeding us too much Aidy. She's funny but not every sketch funny.

I think it's clear that Taran will be the next star to come out to SNL. I think he's really turned it up this season after just being there the last couple of years.
Old 12-23-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Maybe because he's one of the few guest stars that actually puts some work into his appearances. So many celebs think they can just show up and read the cue cards.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic.
Old 12-24-13, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
My guess is that it was a largely symbolic cameo, and more a way for him to give his "permission" for them to do it, especially given Robin's passing.
Apparently Sat was also Barry and Maurice's birthday.
Old 12-24-13, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
So iow, you're saying that Aidy is their token "fat cow"?
That's how everyone described Casey Wilson during her short tenure with SNL.
Old 12-24-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow View Post
That's how everyone described Casey Wilson during her short tenure with SNL.
They're both fat and unfunny!

Okay, I don't think Casey Wilson is fat. However, she was far unfunnier than Aidy.
Old 12-24-13, 03:42 PM

I think Aidy is a comedic talent but she does stick out among an otherwise pretty hot cast of women, especially in something like the Twin Bed sketch where they're done up to be sexy.

Loved the Family Feud sketch. That kind of self-aware stuff is where SNL shines IMO.

Timberlake was great as always. I'd much rather have him show up every once in a while than become a permanent cast member.

The "It's Cold Outside" song was really well done; good writing, good performances, and funny without being crass or goofy.
Old 12-24-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think Aidy Bryant is even remotely funny and I feel like being a fatty is the only thing that got her on SNL.

Just heard her on Comedy Bang Bang and she was just as bad on this.
Old 12-24-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sven View Post
I don't think Aidy Bryant is even remotely funny and I feel like being a fatty is the only thing that got her on SNL.

Just heard her on Comedy Bang Bang and she was just as bad on this.
I agree with this statement.
Old 12-27-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 191 Posts

I watch every episode but these people currently on the show are so generic to me that I couldn't tell you who is who or any of their names.

Only one who stands out for me, and only because of her teeth is the woman who's teeth are so huge it seems like she can't close her mouth.
Old 12-27-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I like Kyle Mooney from his pre-SNL stuff (he's also very good on HBO's Hello Ladies), but he has done next to nothing on the show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.