Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Old 11-02-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

After hearing so much about this show, I finally started watching ...

Season 1

The National Anthem -- I liked the concept. It was a well-told story but I found a few of the contrivances took away from it (not checking the finger, the overall ending). I was convinced his advisors were in on it.

15 Million Merits -- I appreciate the commentary on reality TV and "stardom" but I just did not get this one at all. No emotional "in" for me.

The Entire History of You -- A bit predictable, but I really liked this one! The whole notion of playing back memories during a fight with a loved one is just fucking creepy.

Season 2

Be Right Back -- Another successful play on my emotions. Haley Atwell was fantastic!

That's all the further I've made it so far.
Old 11-03-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a big fan of this show but just got a chance to watch the new season last night. I only watched the first episode. This isn't much of a binging show for me, I like to take some time to reflect on each episode.

Some thoughts on season 3/episode 1

Spoiler:
It's good to have the show back in all it's fucked up glory. What I liked about this episode was that is once again showed a future that isn't exactly out of reach. It also showed the positives of why this kind of world would be accepted. If you're not nice to people you will be downvoted and if you're downvoted you'll actually lose out on certain things. It makes it so that the pleasant people are rewarded and the nasty people get their deserved comeuppance. Seems like a good world to me.

Of course, that follows with the depressing negatives of such a society. Where everyone is openly fake and all relationships are flimsy and the goal isn't to really be nice, it's to get upvotes.

My problem with the episode was that they laid everything out too neatly for you. I think if you got rid of the entire scene with the truck driver and the end scene in jail, the episode would have been much better. I also would have liked it if after Lucy's tirade, that she didn't really learn her lesson and that she still needs to wallow in the misery of being a 2.4 or whatever it was. That extra bit of fucked up-ness would have worked better for Black Mirror. Just my opinion.
Old 11-03-16, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished up season 3 and really enjoyed every episode. One of my favorite series on television.

This season ranked:

1. San Junipero
2. Nosedive
3. Hated in the Nation
4. Men Against Fire
5. Shut Up and Dance
6. Playtest
Old 11-05-16, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that Nosedive is more about 'social media ratings' than 'Ebay feedback'. I've run an Ebay business since I was a teen (over 15 years). That was painfully accurate. The ups and downs and the attitude you need to have. And how *that one complaint* can tear it all down. That was all accurate and made me very uncomfortable. Can't stop thinking about it.

South Park had a similarly-themed episode with Cartman terrorizing restaurants with Yelp.
Old 11-06-16, 08:49 PM

Recently watched all three seasons of Black Mirror. Brilliant show. Really topical, and it definitely has a "Twilight Zone" vibe re: the anthology aspect. I'm sure many of us can relate to a lot of these episodes. The obvious "message" in these episodes is the scary over-reliance we have on technology & how this is negatively affecting our lives.

Not going to go into a review of the entire series, just some episodes:

-S01 EP01.....wow, there was some twisted, sickening s$#% that went down here. Very compelling, however.

-The Christmas episode (between Seasons 2 & 3) was fantastic. I could easily see the smooth Don Draper from Mad Men (Jon Hamm) running a "dating service" where he gives advice to guys re: how to dress & score with women - LOL.

The sequence when the various characters were "blocked" & couldn't interact with/see other people reminded me of an episode in the '80's TZ, when people were deemed "pariahs" and were ignored by the rest of society.

-S03, E02: This is set in the future where everyone can see everyone else's "rating" via a eye technology, and where everyone is constantly on their I-phones, etc. hits to home. This is obviously based on Facebook & likes on social media sites. I truly hate FB, have never had an account there, and never will have an account.

I also hate weddings, since people act so fake (at all the ones I've been to). The woman's "friend" who was getting married was a truly horrible, manipulative person. So, I was amused when the main character went off on this friend, thereby shocking the audience.

The final scene - when the woman & the guy were cussing each other out from the jail cells was HILARIOUS - I liked how they were so over the top insulting to each other, and how it was obviously a catharsis for both of them.

-San Junipero, S3: One of the most poignant episodes of any TV series I've ever seen. This was definitely relatable to me due to both the partial '80's setting (I'm an '80's kid & a huge fan of that era) & the nursing home aspect: I have had (and still have) relatives in nursing homes, and understand how difficult an existence that is - i.e. being in such bad physical shape that you can't take care of yourself, etc. So, having technology available to you where you can "escape" that disheartening existence by going into a fantasy world where you're young & vibrant & where life is a never-ending party is extremely attractive.

The love story/relationship between the two main characters was quite touching; I'm not a huge fan of love stories in films/TV series, but this was very effectively done here.

Amazing '80's soundtrack as well, including INXS, Belinda C., Robert Palmer, OMD, etc.

One of my favorite scenes was when the young woman was trying to figure out what to wear to the club, and stood in front of the mirror trying on various outfits, while playing different '80's songs on her cassette deck; each specific song correlated to the outfit she was wearing - very nostalgic.

This is an episode I've already seen twice, and will probably re-re-watch again soon at some point - it was that good.

- S03, E04: This was the episode where the military got implants so that they were seeing "the enemy" as horrible monsters/aliens, but they were actually normal humans. Excellent, and obviously a metaphor for the way that "the enemy" in any given situation is demonized by the news media, in order to make it "easier" for them to be seen as sub-human.
Old 12-03-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
The 3rd episode is currently the most fucked up shit I have seen in a while. Jesusfuckingchrist.

#mindblown
I just finished watching that episode and Holy Shit that was messed up. One thing i was wondering
Spoiler:
Would all of the charges stick to Kenny? He'd be found guilty of the CP but a good lawyer could get the other charges dropped and or found not guilty on the Robbery and Murder? Being forced to do these actions via Blackmail and getting Hacked, if the Hacker is ever caught he'd probably get a worse sentence.

This was like looking into the future evolution of a 4Chan hacker
Old 12-03-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I just finished watching that episode and Holy Shit that was messed up. One thing i was wondering
Spoiler:
Would all of the charges stick to Kenny? He'd be found guilty of the CP but a good lawyer could get the other charges dropped and or found not guilty on the Robbery and Murder? Being forced to do these actions via Blackmail and getting Hacked, if the Hacker is ever caught he'd probably get a worse sentence.

This was like looking into the future evolution of a 4Chan hacker
Spoiler:
Blackmail isn't an excuse for committing other crimes. He could be found not guilty of murder, since he didn't instigate the fight, but he did rob a bank. The hacker(s) would be guilty of blackmail and conspiracy to rob a bank and to murder.
Old 08-25-17, 09:59 AM

Netflix has announced the episode titles and cast for “Black Mirror’s” fourth season, which will premiere on the streaming service later this year.

Since “Black Mirror” is an anthology series, each episode is designed as a standalone story. Each one explores the theme of “collective unease with the modern world,” depicting various new ways advanced technology transforms lives – from rating every interaction to uploading one’s consciousness after death to virtually live forever.

The episodes listed below are in alphabetical order and do not necessarily reflect the order they will be presented in when available for streaming. Series creator Charlie Brooker has written every episode of the fourth season.
  • “Arkangel” stars Rosemarie Dewitt, Brenna Harding and Owen Teague. It is directed by Jodie Foster.
  • “Black Museum” stars Douglas Hodge, Letitia Wright and Babs Olusanmokun. It is directed by Colm McCarthy.
  • “Crocodile” stars Andrea Riseborough, Andrew Gower and Kiran Sonia Sawar. It is directed by John Hillcoat.
  • “Hang the DJ” stars Georgina Campbell, Joe Cole and George Blagden. It is directed by Tim Van Patten.
  • “Metalhead” stars Maxine Peake, Jake Davies and Clint Dyer. It is directed by David Slade.
  • “USS Callister” stars Jesse Plemons, Cristin Milioti, Jimmi Simpson and Michaela Coel. It is directed by Toby Haynes. Brooker has co-written this episode with William Bridges.
Old 08-25-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Never heard of these actors, I only know just the two directors Jodie Foster and Tim Van Patten.
Old 08-25-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Never heard of these actors, I only know just the two directors Jodie Foster and Tim Van Patten.
I know all the ones from “USS Callister”
Jesse Plemons = Meth Damon from Breaking Bad
Cristin Milioti = Mom from HIMYM
Jimmi Simpson = McPoyle on Always Sunny

John Hillcoat directed The Road and Lawless (and The Proposition)
David Slade directed Hard Candy and 30 Days of Night

And Rosemarie Dewitt always struck me as one of those people expected to be big but never quite made it.
Old 08-25-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't wait for S4!
Old 08-25-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Recognized very few of those names, but am anxiously awaiting Season 4!
Old 11-25-17, 11:52 AM

Old 11-27-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

I'm a bit behind the times, and only just started the show, making it three episodes. Having read nothing but "awesome show" and how topical it is regarding technology, I was not expecting what the first episode gave me. My wife and I immediately watched the second episode with the bicycling, and realized this wasn't a show we were going to binge. Too heavy and somewhat depressing.

Good stuff. It's nice to have a thought-provoking show that we have to take our time working through. I'm glad Netflix picked it up and is having more episodes created.
Old 12-28-17, 04:45 PM

Season 4 is up on Netflix tomorrow.
Old 12-28-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Season 4 is up on Netflix tomorrow.
Thanks for the reminder!
Old 12-29-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jesus, Crocodile was the most fucked up episode of any season so far. Too dark to even be entertaining, really. Hopefully it’ll turn out to be the only low point of the season. USS Callister was really good, and Arkangel was decent. I’ll catch the final 3 tonight.
Old 12-29-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Star Trek episode was great. It was along, too. 76 minutes. I'll be binging the rest today.
Old 12-29-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Black Mirror but I feel like they're starting to run out of fresh concepts and are recycling a few too many ideas in slightly different scenarios.

As such, I'm a little mixed on the Callister episode but Milioti fucking rocked in it.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-29-17 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
As such, I'm a little mixed on the Callister episode but Milioti fucking rocked in it.
That’s how I felt about it too.

The voice cameo was a nice treat.

Last edited by dex14; 12-29-17 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm episode 3. The 2nd one was fucked up and directed by Jodie Foster.
Old 12-29-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Episode 3 was beautifully shot but yeah...

Moral of the story?
Spoiler:
kill the fucking pets
Old 12-29-17, 09:55 PM

So far Hang The DJ is my favorite.
Old 12-29-17, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ahhhh

Metalhead just looked goofy in spots, took some cues from Tetsuo which was cool but I wish they shot on grittier cameras.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-29-17 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-30-17, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My ranking:
1. Black Museum
2. USS Callister
3. Hang the DJ
4. Arkangel
5. Crocodile
6. Metalhead

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.