Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Bonnie & Clyde -- 2 Night, 4 Hour Miniseries (History, Lifetime, A&E simulcast)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

In a first for A+E Networks, Lifetime, A&E and History will unite to simulcast the four-hour, two-night major event Bonnie & Clyde, starring Emile Hirsch (Into the Wild) and Holliday Grainger (The Borgias) in the title roles of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker, the Depression-era outlaw couple whose criminal exploits have assured them lasting fame for eight decades, on Sunday, December 8th, and Monday, December 9th, at 9pm ET/PT. The star-studded cast also includes Academy Award(R), Golden Globe(R) and Emmy(R) winner Holly Hunter (The Piano) and Academy Award(R) winner and multiple Golden Globe(R) and Emmy(R) nominee William Hurt (Too Big to Fail). The miniseries reunites Hunter and Hurt, who starred in and earned Oscar(R) nominations for 1987's Broadcast News. Hunter plays Emma Parker, Bonnie's mother, and Hurt stars as Frank Hamer, the Texas Ranger pursuing the Barrow gang. Other key cast members include Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) as Blanche Barrow, Clyde's sister-in-law; Lane Garrison (Prison Break) as Clyde's brother Buck; Elizabeth Reaser (The Twilight Saga) as P.J. Lane, a writer tracking the gang; Austin Hebert (True Blood) as Ted Hinton, a lawman also on the hunt for the duo; and Dale Dickey (Winter's Bone) as Cummie Barrow, Clyde's mother.

Part 1 Synopsis:

Premiere Date: December 08, 2013 - 09:00-11:02PM ET

Emile Hirsch and Holliday Grainger star in the title roles of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker, the Depression-era outlaw couple whose criminal exploits have assured them lasting fame for eight decades. Rumored to have a sixth-sense to see events before they happened, Barrow was always able to stay one step ahead of the law as they escaped capture time and again. The star-studded cast of this Lifetime Original Movie also includes Holly Hunter and William Hurt. (2013)

Part 2 Synopsis:

Premiere Date: December 09, 2013 - 09:00-11:02PM ET

Emile Hirsch and Holliday Grainger continue their roles as Bonnie and Clyde. As law enforcement start to pursue, Bonnie pushes Clyde to commit riskier and more dangerous crimes to generate bigger headlines and make them the most famous criminals of the modern era. Holly Hunter and William Hurt also star. (2013)
TV14 V-S-L

2-night miniseries. Airs tonight and tomorrow on all 3 networks.

I'm sure you all don't have enough to watch already.
Old 12-08-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Bonnie & Clyde -- 2 Night, 4 Hour Miniseries (History, Lifetime, A&E simulcast)

IDGAF about this series, I just never want to hear that stupid overacted "I never introduced myself" promo ever again.
Old 12-08-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Bonnie & Clyde -- 2 Night, 4 Hour Miniseries (History, Lifetime, A&E simulcast)

Originally Posted by DJariya
Rumored to have a sixth-sense to see events before they happened...
"I see dead Presidents."
Old 12-11-13, 11:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so, how was this? I recorded it, is it worth a watch?
Old 12-11-13, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
so, how was this? I recorded it, is it worth a watch?
Definitely much better than I expected it to be. You should enjoy it.

The two lead characters playing Bonnie & Clyde have the charisma to keep you watching.

As for Clyde's "6th Sense", I think it's strictly a plot device to show the viewer that when Clyde started out on his life of crime, he knew deep down that it would not end well.
Old 12-13-13, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...nd-clyde2.html

If you were too lazy to record and watch this. Or just didn't have any DVR space, it comes out on BD January 28th. I admit, I haven't watched it yet (I did record it) It's not easy to make time to watch a 4 hour miniseries, especially in 2 sittings.
Old 12-13-13, 11:39 AM
Banned

What happened to the Hillary Duff BONNIE & CLYDE?
I remember her and Faye Dunaway went at it through the media.
Old 12-13-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Still sitting on my DVR. Hope to get through it this weekend.
Old 12-13-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

This and Mob City will probably stay on my DVR for a while. Good to hear it's worth watching.
Old 12-13-13, 01:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so did Clyde really get buttfucked?
Old 12-13-13, 01:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Still sitting on my DVR. Hope to get through it this weekend.
Yup, same here.
Old 12-13-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by UngersPride
Definitely much better than I expected it to be. You should enjoy it.

The two lead characters playing Bonnie & Clyde have the charisma to keep you watching.
Good to hear. I've got stuff stacking up on the DVR and am tempted to thin the unwatched herd a bit. I'll keep this.
Old 12-17-13, 10:45 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I watched both parts last night and it was indeed better than I expected. William Hurt was pretty good as Hamer and the two leads were surprisingly good as well. Been a while since I've seen Lane Garrison (Prison Break) too. Overall, it was a decent amount of story packed into the two segments -- the pacing was pretty good.
Old 12-18-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Been a while since I've seen Lane Garrison (Prison Break) too.
I vaguely thought he was in jail. For awhile there, he was getting in all kinds of trouble (vehicular manslaughter, assault, prison time, etc.).

I didn't know (or remember) how young Bonnie & Clyde were. Poor Clyde led around by his... affection. He'd have benefitted from heeding the immortal words of Morris Day: "I love you but you got to go."
Old 12-18-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
What happened to the Hillary Duff BONNIE & CLYDE?
I remember her and Faye Dunaway went at it through the media.
Hillary Duff got pregnant and dropped out. However, due to a clause in her contract, she still got paid in full. As for the movie, they announced they were going to recast the role of Bonnie but then nothing happened after that.
Old 12-18-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am surprised to read the good reviews here. I watched the first part but then deleted the second part unseen. I thought it meandered quite a bit and seemed pretty loose with the historical accuracy. I thought all the stuff with his visions and her somehow being the mastermind seemed a bit of a stretch.
Old 12-28-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
so did Clyde really get buttfucked?
In the movie he did. In Wikipedia it said he killed a guy in prison that had assaulted him.

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I am surprised to read the good reviews here. I watched the first part but then deleted the second part unseen. I thought it meandered quite a bit and seemed pretty loose with the historical accuracy. I thought all the stuff with his visions and her somehow being the mastermind seemed a bit of a stretch.
Just saw ep 1 and trying to decide whether I want to watch 2. Didn't think it was very good at all. It appears as though they took a story and really took some liberties with the actual events. According to a biography, she was a willing participant but not the gun toting action-babe in this movie.

Last edited by JimRochester; 12-28-13 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-28-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Just saw ep 1 and trying to decide whether I want to watch 2. Didn't think it was very good at all. It appears as though they took a story and really took some liberties with the actual events. According to a biography, she was a willing participant but not the gun toting action-babe in this movie.
Turning the female lead into an action hero has practically become a sine qua non of historical entertainment these days.
Old 12-28-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I'm with you. About 2/3 of the way through part 1 I started ff'ing. By the end of part 1 I couldn't make myself care at all about part 2 and deleted it without watching. And I almost never do that and will typically punish myself for my poor choices and sit through most any crap once I start it.
Old 12-29-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did end up watching part 2. yes they had some more bullets flying but this was still very underwhelming. It was downright crappy considering all the hype.