TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Shannara Chronicles -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
re: The Shannara Chronciles (MTV) - Series Thread - premieres 1/5/16

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Since Terry himself posts here, I can't wait for his insight after every episode.
Old 07-10-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjkQHnDYu0

Terry is from Seattle and always dropped subtle hints in his books that the world of Shannara was set in the PNW after a nuclear holocaust. That shot of the Space Needle sure confirms it.
Old 07-10-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 612 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by traxan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjkqhndyu0

terry is from seattle and always dropped subtle hints in his books that the world of shannara was set in the pnw after a nuclear holocaust. That shot of the space needle sure confirms it.
"pnw"?
Old 07-10-15, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,823 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
"pnw"?
Pacific Northwest.
Old 07-10-15, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That actually doesn't look too bad.

Looks really expensive. I can't believe MTV budgeted that thing.
Old 07-11-15, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That clip looked awesome. I've been waiting for this to be visualized on film or tv for so long. Hopefully it will be successful. I wonder if Elfsones will be concluded in one season and the next season will start with the next book, The Wishsong of Shanarra.
Old 07-11-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 831 Likes on 612 Posts

I don't really know anything about the series (I have never read the books or even heard about them). I just watched the trailer and it looks really good. I hate to know how much the budget was per episode. I'm guessing that shooting overseas helps to maximize the budget.
Old 07-13-15, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, I wasn't expecting the trailer to look that good.

I read the first couple series at least probably 25 years ago. Probably right after reading tLOtR. Don't remember much about it but that I liked them as a kid but probably wouldn't want to read them now (and I still read fantasy).
Old 07-13-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,496 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Throw away - "And Lin Carter would know! He was an expert at rip-offs." I don't rely on other people forming my opinions for me. I can think and come to conclusions on my own. And if he really thinks that Shanarra is"the single most cold-blooded, complete rip-off of another book that I have ever read". Then I think he must not be very well read. They are literally hundreds of stories out there that are more similar to each other than LOTR and Shanarra are. Perhaps he should be reading more books.
I'll concede that I was making both a cheap shot and an appeal to authority.

Lin Carter was the Fantasy Editor at Ballantine books. He was behind the rediscovery of the Conan stories. In his career he read a lot of books.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 07-13-15 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 05:29 AM

Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts

<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:1235722/cp~series%3D2214%26id%3D1737672%26vid%3D1235722%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A1235722" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Get More:
MTV Shows

Old 01-05-16, 06:48 AM

Re: The Shannara Chronciles (MTV) - Series Thread - premieres 1/5/16

"The Shannara Chronicles," will debut with a special, two-hour premiere on Tuesday, January 5 at 10:00 PM ET/PT. "The Shannara Chronicles" is an epic television event based on the sweeping, best-selling fantasy book series by Terry Brooks. Set thousands of years in the future, the story follows three heroes, Elf-Human hybrid Wil, Elvin Princess Amberle, and Human Rover Eretria, as they embark on a quest to stop an evil Demon army from destroying the world. The series stars genre favorites, John Rhys-Davies ("Lord of the Rings") and Manu Bennett ("Spartacus"), along with young Hollywood stars-on-the-rise, Austin Butler ("The Carrie Diaries"), Poppy Drayton ("When Calls The Heart") and Ivana Baquero ("Pan's Labyrinth").

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aaron Jakubenko as Ander
· Austin Butler as Wil Ohmsford
· Brooke Williams as Catania
· Daniel MacPherson as Arion
· Ivana Baquero as Eretria
· James Remar as Cephelo
· John Rhys-Davies as King Eventine
· Manu Bennett as Allanon
· Marcus Vanco as Bandon
· Poppy Drayton as Amberle

CREW INFORMATION:
· Al Gough as CRTR/EP
· Dan Farah as BOOK
· Jon Favreau as EP
· Jonathan Liebesman as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Miles Millar as CRTR/EP
· Terry Brooks as BOOK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K_-AGsxCCCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Premieres tonight, 1/5/16. 10 episode season. It is getting fairly positive reviews.
Old 01-05-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
re: The Shannara Chronicles -- Series Thread

I have zero knowledge about the books or story... but that trailer looks really good and I will be watching it. I hope its good... don't care its on MTV.
Old 01-05-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any early word on it?
Old 01-05-16, 11:32 AM

Reviews have generally been positive.
Old 01-05-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,727 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I also know nothing about the books.

Set the DVR to record this tonight. It's a 2 hour premiere at 10pm ET, so I don't know how many people will be watching this right away.

The footage I've seen from the trailer looks good and it's got a few decent actors like John Rhys-Davies, James Remar and Manu Bennett.
Old 01-05-16, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Previews looked good, but the first five minutes is Hunger Game of Thrones...
Old 01-06-16, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Underwhelmed.

Trailer looked good, but the dialogue, costuming, effects, acting, etc. all made it come across the same way as most syndicated stuff from Sy-Fi channel. Actors looked like Maze Runner & Divergent rejects with pointed ears.

We turned it off 40 minutes in thinking we'd catch up On Demand. Just couldn't take a full two hours of it in one sitting, and switched over to finish up a Homeland episode On Demand.

It was okay, but don't lose any sleep if you missed it. I guess if you loved Camelot & Jupiter Ascending, you'll like this (the former were better)...otherwise, save it for when you've caught up on the stack of good stuff waiting to be watched. Or while you do your tax returns.
Old 01-06-16, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I thought it was a pretty good pilot, especially since the last show I watched on MTV was Remote Control in the late 80's. It could have been alot cheesier, but I'm in for the first season.

Edit: Sorry, Punk'd was the last MTV show I actually watched.
Old 01-06-16, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the pilot too. The story had a decent pace and kept me engaged. As Mcnabb said anytime your doing a genre like fantasy its very easy to go into cheesy land but for the most part they avoided that.
Old 01-06-16, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting news. I read a couple of the Shannara books back in the '90's, but it's been so long I don't remember much about them.

That being said, one of the things that I do remember about the series was that there were strong indications that it took place in the future, after some kind of post-apocalyptic event - this was implied by some kind of robotic creature one of the characters fought/discovered in the first book, Sword of Shannara. This is despite the fact that the setting was fantasy/sword and sorcery - at least on the surface.
Old 01-06-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
That being said, one of the things that I do remember about the series was that there were strong indications that it took place in the future, after some kind of post-apocalyptic event
Didn't you notice the obvious wrecked ships and other technological devices in the background of the show?
Old 01-07-16, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Certainly better than I was expecting. If you don't want to wait, episodes 3 and 4 are on the MTV app.
Old 01-07-16, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Didn't you notice the obvious wrecked ships and other technological devices in the background of the show?
Yeah, I realized that after I saw the trailers - after I posted last night. I'm glad they're keeping the post-apocalyptic aspect of the show - IIRC, it's a lot more "in your face" than what was presented in the books. Plus, it sets the story apart from the Lord of the Rings movies/books, Dungeons & Dragons, etc.

In any case, interesting that they're finally making a TV series of these books - since the first book came out in '77. It seems that any kind of older (or newer) book/old movie/etc. is ripe for adaptation/updating these days.
Old 01-07-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Or the fallen Space Needle. Terry is from Seattle and always hinted that the series was set in the PNW after a nuclear holocaust.
Old 01-08-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

While I didn't think showing two episodes back to back was necessary, I enjoyed them. Written by the utterly hack television team of Gough and Millar, the show had strong casting for most roles and flowed smoothly for a pilot. The comparisons to LOTR and other fantasy material are obvious, which is not a problem for me but may be for others. I guess we won't be seeing Deathstroke returning anytime soon to Arrow.

This is on MTV, which makes me very leery. Their scripted content always falls off the rails at some point, their executives must go on autopilot once a show has established itself.

I would give this show a serious look for viewers into fantasy-driven entertainment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.