Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory - "The Discovery Dissipation" - 12/5/13

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 05:55 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
The Big Bang Theory - "The Discovery Dissipation" - 12/5/13

"The Discovery Dissipation" - Leonard and Amy help Sheldon cope with the shame he's feeling after his accidental contribution to science is disproved. Meanwhile, Raj must stay with Howard and Bernadette for a week, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Dec. 5 (8:00 - 8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
Old 12-05-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory - "The Discovery Dissipation" - 12/5/13

Do I understand it correctly that for once this show is going to actually build a bit of continuity?
Old 12-05-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup.

Not a great episode. Too much Sheldon being a jerk. Raj being feminine. Rinse and repeat.

Not a lot of Penny either.
Old 12-05-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Yup.

Not a great episode. Too much Sheldon being a jerk. Raj being feminine. Rinse and repeat.

That's how I felt.

This show hasn't been doing it for me of late.
Old 12-05-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Considering that Sheldon is supposed to be one of the greatest minds in the world, he certainly makes a lot of mistakes and is not very well-respected in his community.
Old 12-05-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Yup.

Ditto.
Old 12-05-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
This show hasn't been doing it for me of late.
Liked the Thanksgiving episode, but other than that I agree.
Old 12-05-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are too many relationships now:

Sheldon/Leonard
Sheldon/Amy
Leonard/Penny
Howard/Bernadette
Howard/Raj
Sheldon/Leonard/Raj/Howard
Penny/Bernadette/Amy
Old 12-06-13, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Considering that Sheldon is supposed to be one of the greatest minds in the world, he certainly makes a lot of mistakes and is not very well-respected in his community.
I don't think Sheldon is really as brilliant as he believes himself to be.

It's interesting that we're shown Leonard, Howard, Amy, and Bernadette doing actual work while all Sheldon ever seems to do is sit at a desk. They've even told us that Kwipke is a superior physicist.
Old 12-06-13, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's interesting that we're shown Leonard, Howard, Amy, and Bernadette doing actual work while all Sheldon ever seems to do is sit at a desk.
I thought Sheldon was a theoretical physicist. What "actual" work do you expect him to do?
Old 12-06-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

very meh ep
Old 12-06-13, 12:20 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

This is sheldon working

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Dy8EsHZr6DI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-06-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Just a horrible episode. I'm not sure anything worked.
Old 12-06-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I always find it odd that even though it's established that Sheldon is a genius, he hasn't really accomplished much in his career it seems. I don't know much about theoretical physics, but if he's as smart as they make him out to be (even if he makes some mistakes), wouldn't he be working somewhere more prestigious with the great minds of the field and not just at a university while sharing an apartment with Leonard?
Old 12-07-13, 10:08 AM
Cool New Member

I've always assumed Sheldon's back story was given those opportunities to work with great minds in a prestigious environment as a kid when his genius was identified, but his personality basically destroyed relationships along the way as he free-fell from various jobs and social circles over the years and finally landed into a group of friends that, for some reason, put up with him and a university that was willing to overlook his foibles b/c they needed someone with his talent on their staff.

basically was given a chance to start at the top and fell down the ladder until he found a group that needed/was willing to put up with him.
Old 12-07-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
I always find it odd that even though it's established that Sheldon is a genius, he hasn't really accomplished much in his career it seems. I don't know much about theoretical physics, but if he's as smart as they make him out to be (even if he makes some mistakes), wouldn't he be working somewhere more prestigious with the great minds of the field and not just at a university while sharing an apartment with Leonard?
Where do you think theoretical physicists work if not at universities?
Old 12-07-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Where do you think theoretical physicists work if not at universities?
Right, but with his genius - I figure he'd be working at some scientific organization like CERN, NASA or even the Department of Defence. Even technology, telecommunication and medical companies could hire him. Seems like Sheldon isn't any smarter than the average University employed theoretical physicist.

It doesn't seem like Sheldon's really done a lot at the university - certainly not enough to warrant them putting up with his bullshit all the time.
Old 12-07-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a theoretical physicist that was really into it(Bohr, Planck, Heisenberg, Einstein, Born, Pauli, Dirac...) would not have time for the geek stuff, comics and the like. They would probably be almost always with others of their profession.
Old 12-07-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right, but with his genius - I figure he'd be working at some scientific organization like CERN, NASA or even the Department of Defence. Even technology, telecommunication and medical companies could hire him. Seems like Sheldon isn't any smarter than the average University employed theoretical physicist.

It doesn't seem like Sheldon's really done a lot at the university - certainly not enough to warrant them putting up with his bullshit all the time.
I think Leonard would be the one with options like NASA or the DoD, and I think CERN is generally a fellowship thing that university physicists do. Remember, Sheldon's field is theoretical physics. Leonard's is experimental physics. I was once on the physics track (not long enough to have personal experience but long enough to know a handful of actual physicists). They work at the California Institute of Technology. It's one of the finest institutions in the field.

Sheldon by virtue of age is over the hill. He got his PhD at 24 according to Wikipedia. He's probably 35 now. Theoretical physics in particular is a young man's game. His research should be getting less and less prolific, and indeed it is true that his big value now would in general mostly be as a mentor to younger scientists. They should really find a way to move in that direction in the time the show has left or should get on with the story of his fall from grace and into a position at a much less prestigious school like USC.
Old 12-07-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by arminius
I think a theoretical physicist that was really into it(Bohr, Planck, Heisenberg, Einstein, Born, Pauli, Dirac...) would not have time for the geek stuff, comics and the like. They would probably be almost always with others of their profession.
I think the mix of Sheldon's friends (except Penny) is not unrealistic. In fact, one of the physicists I knew best was married to a biologist. I do think their focus on geek culture is also accurate but substantially overblown. Being focused on work 80 hours a week and getting out five or six nights a month to do geeky stuff would be much more realistic but isn't exactly fodder for a sitcom.
Old 12-07-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Some of you overthink this show way too much. It's a simple network sitcom, not a heavily serialized show or one that's going for a lot of realism.
Old 12-07-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But that's what the TV Talk subforum is all about!

ETA: In the spirit of that...

http://nobel.caltech.edu/

That's the site that chronicles with short biographies the 31 Caltech Nobel laureates who have won 32 Nobel Prizes. The first one I scanned over just happened to discover the positron.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 12-07-13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I mean I understand discussing episodes and whatnot but certain shows I come to learn what to expect. A sitcom like The Big Bang Theory while enjoyable to me isn't something I expect realism or a lot of continuity or story arcs from.
Old 12-07-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I mean I understand discussing episodes and whatnot but certain shows I come to learn what to expect. A sitcom like The Big Bang Theory while enjoyable to me isn't something I expect realism or a lot of continuity or story arcs from.
It's not a classic in a lot of ways, but the set up for the show in large part is pretty decent. That's one of the reasons it appeals to nerds, geeks, and non-nerd/geeks without a giant backlash from any of the groups.
Old 12-07-13, 06:12 PM

Top scientists, especially top theoreticians, are usually at universities.