Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Returned (Les Revenants) -- quasi-zombie -- Series Thread -- Sundance Channel

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Returned (Les Revenants) -- quasi-zombie -- Series Thread -- Sundance Channel

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The Returned -- (quasi-zombie) Series Thread -- Sundance Channel

Originally Posted by Matt_
I have a question about The Returned. We receive the Sundance Channel through Cox cable. I stopped watching it because of the messages they display on the screen during a program to tell you about other shows that will be airing. Have they been doing that during the broadcasts of The Returned ? I just checked the On Demand section, and The Returned is not available there so I guess DVR-ing it and putting up with the messages would be the only way to get to see it.
There were some of them but not enough that detracted from enjoying it. Really wish DirecTV would get Sundance in HD though.
Old 12-30-13, 11:52 PM

I'll give Resurrection a try because that link says Kurtwood Smith is in it (Clarence J. Boddicker in Robocop , Red Forman from That 70s Show)
Also the inspiration for Tywin Lannister's appearance in A Song of Ice and Fire
Old 12-31-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I have a question about The Returned. We receive the Sundance Channel through Cox cable. I stopped watching it because of the messages they display on the screen during a program to tell you about other shows that will be airing. Have they been doing that during the broadcasts of The Returned ? I just checked the On Demand section, and The Returned is not available there so I guess DVR-ing it and putting up with the messages would be the only way to get to see it.
Actually, there's a Blu-Ray release coming in January. No messages, no commercials, and HD. I'd like to give it a rewatch that way.

And didn't Camille just look so gosh-darned adorable in her Ramones T-shirt?
Old 12-31-13, 09:51 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I read that they shot the show in the late afternoon/evening to keep the mood and feel the same throughout. Very well done.

Looking forward to the 2nd season of it.

and there are UK and US versions incoming

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...turned/205310/
Old 01-02-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone else start getting Sundance (and IFC!) Channel in HD yesterday?

Maybe they'll rerun The Returned, but now in proper HD?
Old 01-02-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Did anyone else start getting Sundance (and IFC!) Channel in HD yesterday?

Maybe they'll rerun The Returned, but now in proper HD?
ooooh I have to check, Do you have COmcast?
Old 01-02-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Naw, AT&T Uverse

I love those two channels, but hate that they run commercials. Lots of them. Something odd about a channel that will run uncut movies (swearing, violence, and nudity all intact) yet still have commercial breaks every 10 minutes.
Old 01-02-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
Naw, AT&T Uverse

I love those two channels, but hate that they run commercials. Lots of them. Something odd about a channel that will run uncut movies (swearing, violence, and nudity all intact) yet still have commercial breaks every 10 minutes.
Just use DVR/PVR and your set
Old 01-02-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashNBurn69
Looks like there's a similar show coming in March to ABC called Resurrection
Hmm, watched the trailer. Looks interesting. Still think "The Returned" is much, much better. Finished it (finally) last night. The networks need to take a good, long look at this show for it's deliberate pacing, exquisite acting and ability to not condescend the audience.

The show is an outright masterpiece.
Old 01-02-14, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
Hmm, watched the trailer. Looks interesting. Still think "The Returned" is much, much better. Finished it (finally) last night. The networks need to take a good, long look at this show for it's deliberate pacing, exquisite acting and ability to not condescend the audience.

The show is an outright masterpiece.
Most people would rather watch heads bashed in and "The Governer" leading people he met a week ago to their death in a firefight, unfortunately so shows like this tend to be few and far between on TV.

I agree with you on this show being a masterpiece. Almost more of a 7 hour movie than a TV show.
Old 01-02-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I binge-watched this show over the holiday break. Can't stop thinking about it! I keep telling people about it as well.
Old 01-03-14, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it dubbed? I cant watch a show and try reading at the same time. It takes away from what's going on for me.
Old 01-03-14, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VHS?
Is it dubbed? I cant watch a show and try reading at the same time. It takes away from what's going on for me.
Honestly you get used to it very quickly
Old 01-03-14, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Honestly you get used to it very quickly
so true. In fact I remember subtitled movies in English. Like when I rewatch Amelie I am surprised when they speak French in some scenes because I actually remember it in English. Same with The Returned.
Old 01-03-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I think this series is very easy to watch with subtitles because the pacing is quite deliberate (slow). I don't find everything with subtitles easy to watch, and I watch a lot of foreign stuff, but this is very easy. On the other hand, I just can't follow Japanese anime with subtitles because too much goes on, the dialogue is too fast, and I lose track of what's going on even before I'm done reading what's on the screen.

This is a great show.
Old 01-03-14, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashNBurn69
Looks like there's a similar show coming in March to ABC called Resurrection
I believe this is based on the book The Returned, which was pretty good. As I haven't watched this series yet, I can't compare the two.
Old 12-03-15, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Returned (Les Revenants) (SUNDANCE)- Season 2 Thread

I didn't see a thread for season two (it looks like season one had episode-specific threads) so I thought I'd start one.

Is anyone else watching season 2 of this amazing French show on Sundance? (Not to be confused with the lame US remake or the ABC series Resurrection.)

I have finally caught up on the Season 2 episodes that have aired so far and this season is really delivering. They have really layered in quite an interesting backstory about this mysterious town and the events that occurred there 35 years ago when the dam burst.

This show and Fargo are the best shows on TV right now.
Old 12-03-15, 08:13 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: The Returned (Les Revenants) (SUNDANCE)- Season 2 Thread

I'm watching. I was skeptical going into it, since the first season was filmed like 3 years ago, but this has really delivered. Easily the best "zombie" show on tv.
Old 12-03-15, 08:15 AM

Oh yeah, and the music from Mogwai is stunningly haunting. I swear the music almost feels like it's own character at times.
Old 12-03-15, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bravo sir on creating this thread. I always tell people, this is one show that they are missing out on along with The Knick and Manhattan. The Returned reminds me of a cross between LOST and Broadchurch or something.

I agree with Tom too, the music is its own character on this show. Mogwai has done an unbelievable job with this score, I believe they did some music for The Fountain as well.

This show brings in on all levels IMO. Writing, Direction, Cinematography, Editing and of course, the music. I've been more tense and frightened at certain moments on this show than almost any other program out there. It is a great, great show. Really hope they are able to get a 3rd season.
Old 12-03-15, 09:11 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: The Returned (Les Revenants) -- quasi-zombie -- Series Thread -- Sundance Channel

I merged this with the previous thread.

The individual threads were for the A&E remake. I'm going to merged those in a series thread since there wasn't much on it.
Old 12-03-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Returned (Les Revenants) -- quasi-zombie -- Series Thread -- Sundance Channel

Originally Posted by dex14
I merged this with the previous thread.

The individual threads were for the A&E remake. I'm going to merged those in a series thread since there wasn't much on it.
Ah, thanks. I think I confused the remake's individual thread titles with this show because they had the same titles of character names.
Old 12-03-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this season is just as good? I have it piled up on my DVR, but haven't watched it because it was 2 years since the first season (hell, I have trouble remembering what happened on a show LAST WEEK, let alone picking up a story after 2 years). I do have season 1 on Blu, and was planning on re-watching that before diving in to season 2.
Old 12-03-15, 03:26 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I watched the first season on Netflix, as I do not think I get the Sundance channel. I will have to check if Netflix has season 2 up. I skipped the U.S. remake, as the original was just so damm good.
Old 12-03-15, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I watched the first season on Netflix, as I do not think I get the Sundance channel. I will have to check if Netflix has season 2 up. I skipped the U.S. remake, as the original was just so damm good.
US Netflix isn't going to have it yet. There's still 3 episodes left to air on Sundance. Even if it's available using a vpn through say French Netflix, it probably won't have English subtitles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.