TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Middle (ABC) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Middle (ABC) -- Series Thread

Originally Posted by Fanboy
Just noticed that on our DVR the graphic for this season's shows reads "...The End" instead of "The Middle".
I'll have to check that out - ha ha
Old 11-06-17, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in mourning over losing this show. I've adopted the whole family and they live with me now.

that said, they are killing it this season. Just brilliant stuff all the way around. This last episode, The Role, was The Middle at its best, just the five of them annoying and loving each other, like regular families.

I loved it when Frankie got that wake-up call that her baby considers himself a cactus growing without attention. We've all noticed it. I'm glad she finally did.

I love that Mike depends on Sue for all those womany things. My older sister had no sooner moved out of the house than my daddy began asking her to shop for presents for gift-giving occasions for our Mama. I've often thought he must have dreamt of being able to do that for years, just put it into another woman's hands.
Old 04-04-18, 11:32 AM

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

If only Roseanne was on the air two seasons back before it was announced that this season would be The Middle's last as it got a nice bump last night in the ratings. I take solace that not every sitcom can claim its final season is one of its best ones but The Middle is definitely going out on a high note.
Old 05-02-18, 01:21 PM

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

Good lord Brick's girlfriend is a giant, how did I not notice this before? I get that Brick is a wee bitty thing but even so when they had her in the dress and they were walking through the library (a real charming scene btw) it really highlighted the differences in their height.

I will have genuinely fond memories of this show (have seen every single episode) when it is no longer on the air and this season just shows how wonderful a long running sitcom can be when it is in the final stretch when the show runners are given an opportunity to wrap things up in style.
Old 05-02-18, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Truly one of my family's favorite shows.

It will be missed.
Old 05-21-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I watched the finale on DVR last night and once again the recording cut off the last couple minutes. Who can tell me what happened?

Spoiler:
I saw Brick with a whole bunch of chairs and Sue went over to Sean's but he supposedly left and Lexi told Axel to follow his dream and I guess he took the job.

Did I miss anything?
Old 05-21-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

That wasn't the finale. The finale is tomorrow night and an hour long.
Old 05-21-18, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Sue put the snow globe in Sean's luggage. Axl told his parents he took the job.
Old 05-21-18, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh good because I thought it was lacking for a series finale.

I think Axl should move in with weird Ashley and really shake things up.
Old 05-22-18, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Good finale. I was hoping they would do a flash forward. Glad we got to see a little of that. I will miss the show. One of the consistently funny comedies in the past few decades.
Old 05-22-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

I've watched the show more in syndication and on dvd than when it actually aired. Nine years was a good run, and I have a lot to catch up with.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 05-23-18 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-23-18, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Good finale. I was hoping they would do a flash forward. Glad we got to see a little of that. I will miss the show. One of the consistently funny comedies in the past few decades.
The flash forward was pretty cool but the wife thought they were going to shake things up by having Axl's wife be weird Ashley. The kids were spot on.

No call backs to Mike's father or brother, Frankie's parents (Jerry Van Dyke who passed away) Darrin or the Glossners. I realize you can only fit so much into an hour show but they've had a ton of good characters over the years.
Old 05-23-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The flash forward was pretty cool but the wife thought they were going to shake things up by having Axl's wife be weird Ashley. The kids were spot on.

No call backs to Mike's father or brother, Frankie's parents (Jerry Van Dyke who passed away) Darrin or the Glossners. I realize you can only fit so much into an hour show but they've had a ton of good characters over the years.
I thought it was great. The mini-flash forward was exactly the right amount. While they did leave out all those other characters, the show essentially was about THE FAMILY and that's exactly all they needed to address. Brick's last line whispering, "The Middle" was just a pitch perfect way to end the series. Goodbye, Hecks. I had a heck of a good time watching your antics.
Old 05-23-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Brick became a successful writer, you'd think he could at least buy his parents a new washing machine.

Did Brick ever talk about writing? I only remember him ever being into reading. I figured the flash forward would show him becoming a librarian.
Old 05-23-18, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The flash forward was pretty cool but the wife thought they were going to shake things up by having Axl's wife be weird Ashley. .
Cool idea - and now that I think of it - Ashley did throw rice on Axl's head before he left.. that would have been a nice twist.

However, when I saw Axl walk into a nice house I was kind of like "come on... he is a huge success??" but then if he married Lexie (which was cut off from her parent's money), I would imagine that once they got married and had kids her parents would help out with a 'significant' wedding gift - so that explain why he lived in such a nice house.

If Brick became a successful writer, you'd think he could at least buy his parents a new washing machine.
Old 05-23-18, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by windom

Did Brick ever talk about writing? I only remember him ever being into reading. I figured the flash forward would show him becoming a librarian.
It would have been better if he found his calling as a librarian or working in the library of congress, etc.... or even Google - would have been funny

He was never that creative as a kid, nor a great writer.
Old 05-23-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

IIRC, Brick tried to start writing a book a season or two ago, but couldn't get past 1st page. Maybe I am misremembering, but I think that is the case.

Actually I think it was the 1st sentence he couldn't get past.

Last edited by Deftones; 05-23-18 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 09:13 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Cool idea - and now that I think of it - Ashley did throw rice on Axl's head before he left.. that would have been a nice twist.

However, when I saw Axl walk into a nice house I was kind of like "come on... he is a huge success??" but then if he married Lexie (which was cut off from her parent's money), I would imagine that once they got married and had kids her parents would help out with a 'significant' wedding gift - so that explain why he lived in such a nice house.

I sort of figured Axl became a good salesman. The kind that could "sell ice to an Eskimo" so might be able to afford the house.
Old 05-24-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.

Doesn't matter as they'll retcon the whole flash forward segment in 5 or 10 years when they do a reunion show or movie.
Old 05-24-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The finale was a big failure without the return of Chris Kattan. Did everyone forgot he was practically a lead character when the show started?
Old 05-24-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
The finale was a big failure without the return of Chris Kattan. Did everyone forgot he was practically a lead character when the show started?
Bob was a funny character, but I thought he was written off the show when Frankie left the Car Dealership. It would have been a fun call back to the first few seasons of the show, but probably not needed. I only watched regularly through about season 3, and I need to catch up.
Old 05-25-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice satisfying finale. Happy with how it ended.
Old 05-26-18, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's interesting that Patricia Heaton was already talking about a reboot before the show ended. I'm holding out serious hope for that. In the meantime, I'm buy the whole series. I don't fall in love with shows often, but I honestly, really loved this family.

I cried when Sean told Sue she was like walking sunshine. That's exactly the way I've always seen her.
Old 05-26-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by smorbie
It's interesting that Patricia Heaton was already talking about a reboot before the show ended. I'm holding out serious hope for that. In the meantime, I'm buy the whole series. I don't fall in love with shows often, but I honestly, really loved this family.

I cried when Sean told Sue she was like walking sunshine. That's exactly the way I've always seen her.
Hopefully the show will continue to be popular in syndication. I hope a reboot could happen, but it probably won't be for another 5-10 years.
Old 05-27-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I doubt this show was ever popular enough to qualify for a reboot. Don't get me wrong, my wife and I liked the show, but it was never a must watch for us.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.