The Middle (ABC) -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Middle (ABC) -- Series Thread

Old 11-16-13, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Middle (ABC) -- Series Thread

Originally Posted by story
I couldn't stand Everybody Loves Raymond but Heaton is excellent in this.
Raymond is in my Top 5 all-time sitcoms, but she is the reason I started tuning in. I didn't start watching it until the second season but I love how she's night-and-day from Debra.

This last week was hilarious. Modern Family doesn't do it for me, so I can say this is my favorite "family sitcom" on TV right now.
Old 11-21-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of good callbacks to previous episodes (uncle's wedding) in the Thanksgiving episode.

I guess the Dentist is the new Chris Katan (sp?) what ever happened to Chris?
Old 11-21-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Lots of good callbacks to previous episodes (uncle's wedding) in the Thanksgiving episode.

I guess the Dentist is the new Chris Katan (sp?) what ever happened to Chris?
Frankie was fired from the car dealership, I think in the beginning of season four then went back to school to become a dental assistant. Thats how they wrote him off the show.
Old 11-21-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Frankie was fired from the car dealership, I think in the beginning of season four then went back to school to become a dental assistant. Thats how they wrote him off the show.
I don't think they necessarily wrote him out of the show, it's just that there wasn't much of a need for his character any longer. Brian Doyle-Murray still makes occasional appearances but I'm guessing since that's because he's kind of a "big name" in orson.
Old 11-21-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loved the part where the sister-in-law was hot for the dentist and then they find out she broke up with Rusty.

The people showing up reminded me of a picnic we had where we were expecting a small turnout because everyone was busy. Before you know it, they show up, the kids show up, the kids girlfriends are there. We didn't eat until later thinking there wasn't enough food.
Old 11-22-13, 11:27 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Lots of good callbacks to previous episodes
also Sue's inability to lie, which they used a couple of times
"...and so on and so forth..."
Old 11-22-13, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad there's a thread for this show. I discovered it a couple months ago in syndication and immediately became a fan. Modern Family has gotten stale for me so this show is a breath of fresh air.
Old 11-22-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
I'm glad there's a thread for this show. I discovered it a couple months ago in syndication and immediately became a fan. Modern Family has gotten stale for me so this show is a breath of fresh air.
Old 11-23-13, 11:10 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I agree. I'm surprised this show doesn't get that much love here.

As a parent in my 40's every episode touches on something that we (my wife and I) have encountered raising our kids. This is the only "prime time" show we DVR.

The highlight of this weeks episode for me, grandpa having to confess to losing all their cruise money playing online poker had me fucking laughing my ass off.

This show is a classic through and through. For me personally, it ranks with right up there with Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond. Top Three in my book!

For a relatively tight production budget the producer's of The Middle pack a lot of laughs into every episode. It's sad a show like The Middle doesn't get the recognition it deserves compared to, for example, a shitty show like Two & A Half Men that has massive ratings for whatever reason.
Old 11-24-13, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hal9000
Yeah, I agree. I'm surprised this show doesn't get that much love here.

As a parent in my 40's every episode touches on something that we (my wife and I) have encountered raising our kids. This is the only "prime time" show we DVR.

The highlight of this weeks episode for me, grandpa having to confess to losing all their cruise money playing online poker had me fucking laughing my ass off.

This show is a classic through and through. For me personally, it ranks with right up there with Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond. Top Three in my book!

For a relatively tight production budget the producer's of The Middle pack a lot of laughs into every episode. It's sad a show like The Middle doesn't get the recognition it deserves compared to, for example, a shitty show like Two & A Half Men that has massive ratings for whatever reason.
Amen Brother!
Old 03-27-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those that have any interest in this show, last nights episode was great. Really love this show
Old 03-27-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
For those that have any interest in this show, last nights episode was great. Really love this show
It really was. I was glad they came through and gave Sue a win. I was afraid it was going to end in a downer.
Old 04-01-14, 10:08 AM

Glad she ended up back with him - but I wish things turned out better for the other guys
Old 04-01-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Felt bad for the other guys but its nice to see Sue not be complete loser every single time
Old 04-01-14, 03:29 PM

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,089 Posts

I'm not caught up but I saw some promo images for that ep on The Middle's facebook page and I can't wait to see it.

My wife has been home every day with our newborn the last few weeks and she's been watching The Middle on syndication after Jeopardy! and hadn't seen it before, despite my persistent recommendation. She really likes it so it's been fun to talk about episodes together.
Old 04-01-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was a show I didn't care for at first but it's one of my favorites now. Prefer it to Modern Family. Axel is probably my favorite character.
Old 04-08-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm way behind everyone here since I'm just halfway through the first season, but I really enjoy this. Caught a few random episodes during the holiday challenge here and found it worth checking out. Noticed it was said in this thread, but I see this family and think it mirrors the way I grew up in some ways. Perhaps it's the Midwest/Indiana feel. Glad to hear the show continues to roll along since I have several seasons ahead.
Old 05-08-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/abcs...edium=facebook

Renewed for a 6th season

Very underrated comedy. Doesn't get talked about here much, but it can be very funny.
Old 05-09-14, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/abcs...edium=facebook

Renewed for a 6th season

Very underrated comedy. Doesn't get talked about here much, but it can be very funny.
Consistently one of my favorites
Old 05-09-14, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I prefer this to Modern Family.
Old 05-09-14, 08:17 AM

That is good news.

I agree - this is much better than modern family (in my eyes)
Old 05-16-14, 09:29 AM

You go Sue!! I would be great to see how the trip goes!
Old 09-24-14, 06:55 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

SEASON PREMIERE

SUE AND BRICK HAVE TO SCRAMBLE TO CATCH UP WHEN FRANKIE DISCOVERS THAT THEY MISSED THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, AND SUE FINALLY GETS HER BRACES OFF, ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF ABC'S "THE MIDDLE"

Richard Kind Guest Stars as Sue's Orthodontist, Dr. Niller

Two-time Emmy winner Patricia Heaton stars in this warm and witty single-camera comedy about raising a family and lowering your expectations. Middle-aged, middle class and living in the middle of the country in Orson, Indiana, Frankie Heck is a harried wife and mother of three who uses her wry wit and sense of humor to get her family through each day intact. Frankie works as a dental assistant, and her unflappable husband, Mike, is manager at the local quarry and her sardonic partner in the daily grind that is raising their average - yes, most definitely average - family.

In the season premiere episode, "Unbraceable You," Frankie makes a giant blunder when she discovers that school started a week earlier than she thought, and Sue and Brick must scramble to catch up on the days they've missed and re-acclimate themselves to school life. Meanwhile, it looks like the "Year of Sue" might be starting off on a high when she finally gets her braces removed. Axl beats Mike at basketball for the first time in his life, and Brick gets creative in an attempt to find the perfect school book bag, on "The Middle," WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 (8:00-8:30 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"The Middle" stars Patricia Heaton as Frankie, Neil Flynn as Mike, Charlie McDermott as Axl, Eden Sher as Sue and Atticus Shaffer as Brick.

Guest starring are Richard Kind as Dr. Niller, John Gammon as Darrin, Jen Ray as Nancy Donahue, Beau Wirick as Sean Donahue, Pat Finn as Bill Norwood and Brock Ciarlelli as Brad Bottig.

"Unbraceable You" was written by Tim Hobert and directed by Lee Shallat Chemel.
Read more: Listings - MIDDLE, THE on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3EEWux1Di
Old 09-24-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my favorite comedies. Greatly prefer it to Modern Family. Looking forward to the new season. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going and not lose steam because the kids are getting older (Luke on MF)
Old 09-24-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

I'm a little afraid to see what Brick looks like this year. He definitely started veering into more weird than cute last year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.