Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Loved the brat and the clueless parents. I was hoping for more of a reaction from Stuart after the kid doused him with that yellow-ish soupy crap.
More of a reaction than him calling the kid a ****? I think that's a hell of a reaction
Old 11-11-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
It's a great show.

They made such a point to show him tossing the condoms in that drawer that I expected him to open the drawer and find it empty the next morning.

Me too, but I guess in the end they decided to keep it more ambiguous if they really banged or not.
Old 11-12-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
More of a reaction than him calling the kid a ****? I think that's a hell of a reaction
That was my favorite part of the episode. Also liked how the very next scene you see him by himself eating near the cake.

Really hope this comes back for another season. I love it.
Old 11-12-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
That was focused towards the parents. The kid had no idea wtf that meant. The kid should have gotten retribution in some form, as well as the parents who should have controlled their brat. Would have made for fertile comedy gold too.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 11-12-13 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 10:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Did anybody watch the finale for this?

Very nice ending, even if it's just a "reset button" to set us up for season 2.
Old 11-21-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 315 Posts

Didn't know it was a finale.

I kinda' don't buy that he'd leave that girl while she's naked in the ocean - it's just not true to the character they've set up all season long. Maybe later, like he'd jump in with her, then go home an hour later or after he blows it with the model or something, but there's no way he would've left like they had him do.
Old 11-21-13, 11:57 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts

That must be such a kick in the pants for an actor, getting a role, and then being recast.
Old 11-21-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,034 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Loved the brat and the clueless parents. I was hoping for more of a reaction from Stuart after the kid doused him with that yellow-ish soupy crap. His "victory" reaction after getting her pic/text message at the end just reaffirmed what a loser-douche he is for potentially allowing himself to be continually used/abused by that wench.
If you haven't seen it, that joke is from his stand-up show that inspired this series.

While it was funny in the show, the delivery was much better in the stand-up bit (skip to about 3:38 for the full bit):

Old 11-21-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts

Is there going to be a Season 2? Gosh I hope so. Gosh!
Old 11-21-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Didn't know it was a finale.

I kinda' don't buy that he'd leave that girl while she's naked in the ocean - it's just not true to the character they've set up all season long. Maybe later, like he'd jump in with her, then go home an hour later or after he blows it with the model or something, but there's no way he would've left like they had him do.
Yeah but they kind of had to do it since he's a total dick.
Old 11-21-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks andicus.
Old 11-22-13, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Loved this season. Funny stuff.

I also don't buy him leaving the hot girl in the ocean.
Old 11-22-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Loved this season. Funny stuff.

I also don't buy him leaving the hot girl in the ocean.
He's always been a bit of a mystery. He's selfish, yet he also cares about people. He's a jerk, but he's also kind. To me it's believable - but it could have gone either way.

The thing is he really had no real reason to leave. The way things were going, he probably only needed a couple hours - and then he could comfort Jessica. If I were in his shoes, that's the way I would've went.
Old 11-22-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Yeah I must be an asshole because I would be jumping in that water.
Old 01-23-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,636 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/hbos...season-pickup/

Will not be renewed for a 2nd season. They will however produce a special to wrap up the storyline.
Old 01-23-14, 02:24 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Bummer. At least it'll get a proper send-off. I warmed up to the show after the first couple episodes and grew quite fond of it -- more so than with Family Tree and Getting On.
Old 01-23-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks as I loved it.

But at least it gets a special and not sure how much more they could have done with the show anyway.

I am numb to this after the Bored to Death cancellation.
Old 01-23-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts

Definitely sucks.
Old 01-23-14, 06:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

At least HBO still has Ryan Murphy's show I'm sure it'll be about gay people.
Old 01-23-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Dang, this was becoming one of my new favorites
Old 01-23-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goddammit. I didn't even consider it might not be renewed since it was so good (and not on Fox).

Old 01-23-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm actually really surprised this wasn't renewed. I wonder what made HBO not do a second season since they basically give second seasons to almost anything.
Old 01-23-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 322 Posts

That's a big disappointment. I guess now days with the all the other cable channels to compete with, HBO can't waste time with shows that don't get Sopranos or True Blood numbers.
Old 01-23-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Bummer. At least it'll get a proper send-off. I warmed up to the show after the first couple episodes and grew quite fond of it -- more so than with Family Tree and Getting On.
This really sucks.

Surprised it is getting cancelled as far worse shows get 2nd seasons on HBO. Maybe Merchant didn't want to do another season or something?

Way better show than Getting On. Watched one episode and was out. Couldn't get into it.
Old 01-24-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 666 Posts

Disappointed to see this. I figured it is was lock to get a second season. It was easily my favorite new show from the past year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.