Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: AMC Developing Walking Dead Spin-Off

How Hershel Got His Pen Back
Old 09-21-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
I'd like to see other countries too. We never really see that though WWZ did a bit. It would be interesting to see how other nations ended up.
I'd love to see them take a World War Z approach and set the show in another country to show how devastating the zombie apocalypse has been around the world. However, I have very little faith in AMC providing that kind of budget to do the show right. Most likely, the new show will be set in the mountains of Montana or someplace with a slightly different setting from the original show but with very few big sets.
Originally Posted by Jason
I question how a show that only had 16 episodes in it's third season with very few reruns, can suffer from "oversaturation".
Agreed. I'm not sure where all this over saturation talk is coming from. This isn't exactly Star Wars with multiple tv shows, video games, novels, etc. IMO, this is a great story to expand on in another TV show. Much better than a Breaking Bad spin-off.
Old 09-21-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I actually don't think so. At least two more seasons of TWD will be aired before this spinoff, at which point the show will probably have an end date set.
Doubtful. AMC doesn't have much going for them pretty soon. Breaking Bad is over in a couple of episodes, Mad Men has one season left, and The Walking Dead is really their only other big show (yes I know about Hell on Wheels and Low Winter Sun but I don't think either are big in the ratings game) and they're probably going to exploit it and milk it until it's dry. I think the only end date is has in sight is probably when AMC see's the ratings start to slip (which could be a while).

I thought that The Walking Dead was good in it's first season but went downhill pretty quickly after that personally. One of the most overrated shows currently airing in my opinion, but then again I also think the zombie fad has went on too long.
Old 09-21-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

It would be cool if they did a lost style of storytelling. Showing a character in pre zombie days and present day would make for some interesting episodes.
Old 09-21-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Make it a 70s-style "variety" show and I'm IN... as long as Tim Conway's there, that is.
I'd watch Gilligan's Island of the Dead.
Old 09-21-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Millions of people in Generation Y and younger grew up playing against zombies in their videogames. Zombies were a cult horror phenomenon before videogames turned them into everyone's favorite villain.
I'm in Gen Y and I grew up killing zombies in video games too. That doesn't mean I want to see them shoehorned into everything.
Old 09-22-13, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Walking Dead: Los Angeles starring LL Cool J. They can play "mama said knock you out" while he kills zombies.
We know you are wrong. "T-Dog number three" wouldn't get any lines or character development. He'd be dead within two episodes.
Old 09-22-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Thank god. I'm sick of the way they slavishly follow every little aspect of the comic book's continuity.
Do they now? I quit watching after S1 because I hated the changes they made from the source material but I am a avid reader of the comics. I seem to remember them changing quite a bit from the comics, and even now the whole prison/Governor storyline is still way different then what went down in the comic.
Old 09-22-13, 01:16 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Do they now? I quit watching after S1 because I hated the changes they made from the source material but I am a avid reader of the comics. I seem to remember them changing quite a bit from the comics, and even now the whole prison/Governor storyline is still way different then what went down in the comic.
They don't. It was a sarcastic response to Kirkman's statement about the freedom of not being bound to the comic. If anybody should know that they've deviated significantly from the comic, it's him.

Ah well .. such is the nature of PR. I'm sure some flack wrote that quote for Kirkman and stuck it in the press release.
Old 09-05-14, 11:53 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

It's official: AMC is moving forward with its companion series to mega-hit The Walking Dead.

The network on Friday announced it has ordered a pilot episode of the project from Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman and producers Gale Anne Hurd and Dave Alpert. As previously announced, Dave Erickson, who co-created and co-wrote the pilot with Kirkman, will serve as exec producer and showrunner.

The pilot will begin production in late 2014, with few details about the location and casting released just yet. In a release, AMC touted that the premise — kept closely under wraps — would focus on what's going on in the zombie apocalypse in other parts of the world.

"There are many corners of The Walking Dead universe that remain unseen in the shadows. Being given the opportunity to shine a light into those corners and see what lurks out there is an absolute thrill. I know the fans are anxious to hear what Dave and I have been cooking up for this new universe of ‘The Walking Dead,’ and I'm happy to be one step closer to sharing it with them,” Kirkman said.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ebook_20140905
Old 09-05-14, 11:58 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm down... now give me snow zombies!
Old 09-05-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll probably watch, but not particularly hyped. They've had trouble enough handling the characters and moving the plot along on the main show, so i'm not sure how well another group of characters elsewhere will do.
Old 09-05-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So basically the same series but different setting and characters. Meh.
Old 09-05-14, 01:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to this. It has the potential to be better than the current show. Best character on the show isn't from the comics and this will have all fresh non-comic characters. Plus they'll have learned what's worked and what hasn't on the original show and be able to hit the ground running.

I hope they mix up the style a little and show more flashbacks to who the characters were right before the outbreak. They could have developed past/existing characters so much more doing that and made you actually give a **** when even a minor character dies.
Old 09-05-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of meh so far in this thread. I'm on the other side. I'm not the biggest fan of The Walking Dead, but I am a fan of what they're doing with this spin-off. Instead of expanding The Walking Dead to more episodes, they're doing a spin-off which allows for a new cast and crew. This keeps the original cast/crew from getting overloaded and watering down the product. The premise is perfect for a spin-off since there are plenty of locations outside of the Atlanta area affected by the epidemic.

I find this easier to digest than, say, Better Call Saul. Not to say Better Call Saul won't be a good show, but it's not immediately evident how it could be in the same neighborhood as Breaking Bad in terms of quality. I can easily see The Walking Dead spin-off being just as good as the original if the talent (writing, directing, acting, etc.) is right.
Old 09-05-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Maybe it will have a whole string of spin offs:

Walking Dead: Los Angeles
Walking Dead: New York
Walking Dead: Miami

Nothing like watering down a franchise until no one cares anymore.

The original goes through so many cast changes, I don't see the advantage of a spin-off.
Old 09-05-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Maybe it will have a whole string of spin offs:

Walking Dead: Los Angeles
Walking Dead: New York
Walking Dead: Miami

Nothing like watering down a franchise until no one cares anymore.

The original goes through so many cast changes, I don't see the advantage of a spin-off.
That's exactly what came to mind for me too. It'll be joining the ranks of shows like CSI, Law & Order, and NCIS soon with various spinoffs of essentially the same series. We all know AMC is going to milk this franchise for all it's worth.
Old 09-05-14, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still watch despite being as annoyed as a lot of you, but I'm interested in this as well. It'd be cool if maybe it was a bit more plot driven than character driven.
Old 09-05-14, 02:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In a release, AMC touted that the premise — kept closely under wraps — would focus on what's going on in the zombie apocalypse in other parts of the world.
I'm hoping we'll finally get to see how the zombie outbreak has affected South Carolina.
Old 09-05-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I kept hoping Merle would live and they'd do a zombie karma show called My Name is Merle where he'd meet his brother's twin and introduce them saying "this is my brother Daryl, and my other brother Daryl."
Old 09-05-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wouldn't My Name is Merle consist of Merle coming up with a list of people that he's wronged and trying to make it up to them? They could show him tracking down the people on his list and trying to help them even if they had become zombies. Hilarity would ensue.
Old 09-05-14, 05:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Do Walking Dead: New Mexico and populate it with Breaking Bad cameos.
Old 09-05-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Cool, Must Miss TV.
Old 09-05-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm hoping we'll finally get to see how the zombie outbreak has affected South Carolina.
Answer: Not at all.

Honestly, if they're doing this, they should pick an opposite environment.

Like "Walking Dead: Fargo"
Old 09-05-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Walking Dead: Two Towns Over

Walking Dead: Zombies on a Plane

Walking Dead: San Diego Zoo

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.