TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boardwalk Empire -- Season Premiere -- "New York Sour" -- 9/08/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Boardwalk Empire -- Season Premiere -- "New York Sour" -- 9/08/13

Synopsis:

Following his battle with Gyp Rosetti, Nucky makes a peace offering to Joe Masseria (Ivo Nandi) while working the odds with Arnold Rothstein. While Chalky is busy running the Onyx Club on the Boardwalk, the impulsive Dunn Purnsley (Erik LaRay Harvey) clashes with a booking agent. Fresh-faced Federal Agent Warren Knox arrives in Atlantic City to learn the ropes from Agent Sawicki (Joseph Aniska). Gillian seeks custody of her grandson, Tommy (Brady Noon), while trying to find a "good" man to keep the Artemis Club afloat. Eli's college-age son, Willie (Ben Rosenfield), turns to Nucky for career advice. Al Capone enlists his brothers, Frank and Ralph, to help him expand his business in the Chicago suburb of Cicero. Richard Harrow returns to his violent ways.

Written by Howard Korder; directed by Tim Van Patten.

12 episode 4th season. Premieres tonight.

Same timeslot as Breaking Bad and Dexter. Let me guess? Breaking Bad comes 1st, this will have to wait until tomorrow or later in the week?
Old 09-08-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- Season Premiere -- "New York Sour" -- 9/08/13

Fuck yes. Can't wait. (I'll still be watching Breaking Bad first though, )
Old 09-08-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I've only got two slots per hour on my DVR, so this is bumping Dexter to a later airing (with Breaking Bad having the highest priority, of course).
Old 09-08-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's to hoping this season isn't nearly as dull as S3, which only got a hint of life for the penultimate episode and finale.
Old 09-08-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I pretty much hated this episode. It was scattershot aimless, excessively violent and didn't click with me at all. I guess I liked the Richard stuff, especially when he silently menaces that guy in his office - though I had no idea why he was killing those men (or who Emma is). The bit where the deputy made his move was pretty clever too. Besides that though I thought this episode was pretty dreadful. With no foil anymore without Jimmy or Margret, Nucky is not a very interesting character IMO. I hope things pick up once Jeffery Wright shows up.
Old 09-08-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got the feeling richard is basically a hitman for nucky, I'm guessing the survey/deed or whatever is was that he took from the 2 guys is the same one nucky was looking at on the hotel balcony.

It did feel a little unorganized, but I'm guessing that was due to having to catch up with at least several months of elapsed time from the last season. Still love this show even when it's not compelling.
Old 09-08-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
though I had no idea why he was killing those men (or who Emma is).
His sister.
Old 09-09-13, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I pretty much hated this episode. It was scattershot aimless, excessively violent and didn't click with me at all. I guess I liked the Richard stuff, especially when he silently menaces that guy in his office - though I had no idea why he was killing those men (or who Emma is). The bit where the deputy made his move was pretty clever too. Besides that though I thought this episode was pretty dreadful. With no foil anymore without Jimmy or Margret, Nucky is not a very interesting character IMO. I hope things pick up once Jeffery Wright shows up.
Couldn't disagree more. I thought it was a great start to the season. You aren't supposed to know exactly who Richard is killing yet, you need to learn some patience.

Awesome that Ron Livingston is on the show now, hopefully he gets an interesting story.

I loved that Richard bookended the episode, I have a feeling he is really going to shine (finally!) this season.
Old 09-09-13, 09:45 AM

Does that mean you liked how they used Nucky last night? Remember, he's supposed to be the focus of the show.
Old 09-09-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
You aren't supposed to know exactly who Richard is killing yet...
Good, because I had no clue. I was pretty sure he was 'heading home' and that was his sister, but the insurance massacre left me scratching my head.
Awesome that Ron Livingston is on the show now, hopefully he gets an interesting story.
I agree.
I loved that Richard bookended the episode, I have a feeling he is really going to shine (finally!) this season.
I hope so as well. Such a great character arc.
Old 09-09-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I thought it was a nice start to the season. I could do without Gillian but the rest of the storylines are intriguing.
Old 09-09-13, 12:58 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This will have to get recorded on the HBOWest at Midnight. I'm debating just recording the season and watching it in marathons. I was pretty bored last year.
Old 09-09-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does that mean you liked how they used Nucky last night? Remember, he's supposed to be the focus of the show.
Says who? This show has always been more of an ensemble show. Jimmy was a central focus for the first two seasons.

To me it just seems like Nucky is trying to find his footing still, which is pretty understandable after what happened last season.
Old 09-09-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Nucky had to reestablish control after last season. Now he is being dragged into a new problem thanks to Purnsley.
Old 09-09-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I loved season 3 and this premiere. So glad it's back and in my opinion better than ever.
Old 09-10-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad the show is back. They should have kept Gillian dead from OD. What is the point of her role now?
Old 09-10-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still really enjoy this show. I do agree with one reviewer who made the point that the show doesn't really have a heart. There is little warmth to be found in what amounts to an orgy of violence. I mean this episode had more brutal death scenes than most shows cram in an entire season.

Still, I LOVE the setting, and the production is immaculate. Is there a more lavish, beautifully shot show on TV? That wide shot of Nucky and Chalky in the car while Purnsley buried the body, parked in an open field on an overcast winter evening. Beautiful.

And of course I love the politics, the back-stabbing, the shifting alliances. It's all very interesting to me, made more so because it is a period piece with a historical basis.
Old 09-10-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Decent start. Not amazing, but not bad either.

I read that Margaret will make an appearance this season - but I don't know to what degree.

I thought that was Van Alden at the beginning of the episode in the diner, and minutes later getting his throat slit. Had to re-watch a few times to make sure. It looks a lot like him.

I don't like how they essentially hit the reset button on Nucky's relationships with Rothstein, Masseria, and the gang. They're interesting characters (although Masseria's Italian accent his beyond horrible), but it feels like they need them to be on Nucky's side because as enemies they won't have as much screen time and the show would be lacking decent characters.

Why the fuck is Gillian still around? With Jimmy gone, her relevance was diminished totally last season and there's even less reason to have her around this season.
Old 09-10-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Why the fuck is Gillian still around? With Jimmy gone, her relevance was diminished totally last season and there's even less reason to have her around this season.
To give Ron Livingston something to do.

But yeah, her circle of acquaintances is pretty thin at this point and she's pretty much the 1920's equivalent of a crack-whore. Maybe it will be a story of redemption. Then again, it is Gillian.
Old 09-11-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Doesn't she still have it out for Nucky? That's about the only purpose she could serve at this point.

She is a despicable human being, but oddly sympathetic.
Old 09-11-13, 08:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

want to see more of capone's rise, that feels like the most interesting thing to explore right now...
Old 09-11-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Doesn't she still have it out for Nucky? That's about the only purpose she could serve at this point.
They kind of whiffed on that last season, so it seems pointless to bring it up this season.

Much like last season, I see Gillian being useless again this season.
Old 09-12-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I still really enjoy this show. I do agree with one reviewer who made the point that the show doesn't really have a heart. There is little warmth to be found in what amounts to an orgy of violence. I mean this episode had more brutal death scenes than most shows cram in an entire season.

Still, I LOVE the setting, and the production is immaculate. Is there a more lavish, beautifully shot show on TV? That wide shot of Nucky and Chalky in the car while Purnsley buried the body, parked in an open field on an overcast winter evening. Beautiful.

And of course I love the politics, the back-stabbing, the shifting alliances. It's all very interesting to me, made more so because it is a period piece with a historical basis.

I think Eddie is the only person with a heart on the show. After all, he did turn and look away after he told the chick Nucky nailed to put on the coat and leave.

You aren't supposed to know exactly who Richard is killing yet
That's what I figured.
Old 09-12-13, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
They kind of whiffed on that last season, so it seems pointless to bring it up this season.

Much like last season, I see Gillian being useless again this season.
If Gretchen Mol didn't do nude scenes, she'd have been written off 2 years ago.
Old 09-12-13, 06:45 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

If Gretchen Mol didn't do nude scenes, she'd have been written off 2 years ago.
But...she is pretty spectacular at those.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.