TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes of Cosplay on Syfy

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,018 Likes on 629 Posts
Re: Heroes of Cosplay on Syfy

Episode 4:

Lots more "drama" this week, from Yaya's corset episode to Jessica's illness at the competition to Monika's general bitchiness.

Damn, when Yaya's hubby cut the strings of the corset, you could see the dents they had left on her back. No wonder she couldn't breathe. I was hoping we would see some more of the costumes she was wearing for the calendar.

I'd like to think that Monika's just getting a bad edit or she's playing things up for the camera, but she's coming across as a real c*nt. Even if she's right about Becky's skill level, there are more tactful ways to say it. If the Blizzard folks hired her, I hope they knew what they were getting.

I really like the Crabcat girls, for their spirit and good attitudes (and costumes, too). Their "cat meme" costumes were not a good idea, but they gave it a good try. That is awesome that they got to do something for del Toro's Pacific Rim promos.

Victoria is still a mess. We did actually see her doing some work on a costume, but it looked like Jenyo was doing a lot of the work, too. And then he was at home slaving away on her costume and she was on video chat from out of town, looking at his work and saying "Not good enough." Damn, I feel sorry for that dude.

No Jesse this ep, though it looks like we'll see him next week. I like looking at the ladies, but it would be cool to see more guys in this show.

Last edited by Cellar Door; 09-04-13 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-04-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Monika looks as miserable as a person can look and grumpy cat girl, are her eyes too close together?
Old 09-05-13, 10:11 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish there were a few more guys like the Steampunk Stormtrooper dude on the show. This show leans so heavily on the female cosplayers, but I'd like to see more guys in there just to add variety to the costume types. I tend to more interested in the things like the Dead Space suit that won last week's ep, or the Dr Doom from the first ep. I don't follow anime or JRPG games so a lot of those costumes start to look the same to me.
Old 09-05-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The costume (except for the cheap looking rocket pack) was awesome and this latest episode did put more episode into costume creation but still not enough. It still feels like they are glossing over the interesting part: the conceptualization and creation of the actual costumes.
Yeah, it's a shame that isn't more of a focus. Syfy has Face Off which gets this right.

Still this show is enjoyable popcorn. I just wish there wasn't a need for the fabricated drama. The life long best friends acting like they might not work together again after working separately? C'mon son.
Old 09-05-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

This is one of my wife's favorite shows now.
making costumes like that would be fun except it costs a ton of a money and time
Old 09-06-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The cat meme costumes were a terrible idea. As someone not really interested in the actual making of the costumes, I wish they would show more of the actual cosplaying. I want to see people in complete costumes.

The focus on videogame characters doesn't do much for me. For the most part, videogame characters have lousy, overly busy designs in the first place.
Old 09-06-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
This is one of my wife's favorite shows now.
making costumes like that would be fun except it costs a ton of a money and time
I have a friend who was seriously thinking of getting into Cosplay. She started watching this show and is now reconsidering the idea.
Old 09-06-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Monika sure turned out to be a bitch. I kinda saw that in her but not to the extent of straight up telling Becky she sucks. Looks like she did learn a thing or Two from YaYa.
I know people take this stuff seriously but you dont have to do what she did. That sort of thing makes this not fun. Ever since hot girls came into this and it became 'cool' thing to do, it was all about popularity and bitches.

Victoria either needs to focus on the task at hand or stop doing this. She will never get anywhere in this game trying to make things happen last minute.

This episode was pretty blah for me though. I wish they would do like Face/Off and focus more on design rather than the drama crap. I remember the first season of Face/Off they would show some stuff at the house but now you see none. I like it like that. if there is any drama, it's during the design process and in shop.
Old 09-06-13, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Which one is Monika again? I honestly can't remember any of their names.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I have a friend who was seriously thinking of getting into Cosplay. She started watching this show and is now reconsidering the idea.
I don't blame her. This show gives Cosplay a bad name.
Old 09-06-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Which one is Monika again? I honestly can't remember any of their names.
Is Monika the one that looks just like McLovin with long hair?
Old 09-07-13, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Monika is the girl that went for the interview with Blizzard. She's got the perfect look for a lot of anime characters.
Old 09-07-13, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Monika is the girl that went for the interview with Blizzard. She's got the perfect look for a lot of anime characters.
Not ringing any bells. Sorry.

Is she the one with the Tron prom dress or the one that did the Rocketeer costume?
Old 09-07-13, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Neither. She was the slutty Poison Ivy a couple episodes ago. In the latest ep she teamed up with the Tron girl (Victoria) to do two anime characters.
Old 09-08-13, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Neither. She was the slutty Poison Ivy a couple episodes ago. In the latest ep she teamed up with the Tron girl (Victoria) to do two anime characters.
Ah. For some reason I thought slutty Poison Ivy was Tron girl. Dunno why (other than both are equally uninteresting). Was the blog girl in this episode (the one with the Lydia costume)? She seemed cool and 1000x more likeable than any of the other women on this show.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-08-13 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-08-13, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blog girl is Chloe. She's only been in that one ep so far, when she played Lydia. I agree, she seems pretty cool.
Old 09-08-13, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Blog girl is Chloe. She's only been in that one ep so far, when she played Lydia. I agree, she seems pretty cool.
Thanks. I still have a hard time remembering their names.

I'm watching this episode right now on Hulu and I gotta say I hope there's an episode that's nothing but Chloe, the blog girl, and Jesse, the steampunk guy. They could drop everyone else from the show, for all I care. And the husband (or whatever the hell he is) of Victoria needs to grow some balls and dump her ass if she's really such a bitch and it's not just the way the show is edited.
Old 09-08-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious if these people really travel like this just to enter cosplay contests for very small purses? That definitely has to be a a conceit of the show, right? I can see Yaya travelling to multiple shows, but I somehow doubt that Becky is traveling, or the two friends, would normally travel to different conventions all across the country every few weeks.
Old 09-08-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I'm curious if these people really travel like this just to enter cosplay contests for very small purses? That definitely has to be a a conceit of the show, right? I can see Yaya travelling to multiple shows, but I somehow doubt that Becky is traveling, or the two friends, would normally travel to different conventions all across the country every few weeks.
It is a full-time hobby for some people, and others are hoping to break into some type of Hollywood business through it (prop design, modeling, etc).

If you really want a better feel of the "industry," read the Cosplay board over at 4chan. Regular people frequently spend thousands on their costumes.

http://boards.4chan.org/cgl/
Old 09-09-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems Chloe is back this week so I may have to tune in after all:

Hopefully they don't transform her into a drama queen like everyone else in this show.
Old 09-09-13, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chloe is really cool and has a great personality outside of the show, so I doubt she will be dropping drama bombs.

A lot of the cosplayers will have their trips covered if they are working in some way for the con, for instance Becky was invited as a judge/personality so the con would probably provide her flight/accommodations. Of course the show is paying for everything I'm sure as part of them being on the show.

I'm enjoying the show so far, but the drama is a bit much sometimes. I love attending cons so this is kind of giving me that fix for the time I'm not attending them.
Old 09-09-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jeffy
Chloe is really cool and has a great personality outside of the show, so I doubt she will be dropping drama bombs.
I hope not because she and Jesse, the steampunk guy, are the only two cast members that I like.
Old 09-10-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New episode tonight.
Old 09-10-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Chloe has leaked boobie pics and she is also dating the most irritating fanboy in the world ...

Old 09-10-13, 09:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Chloe and her motto with the Cosplay being for fun and people should be able to do what they wanted. That aspect of the show should be stressed more, but instead most of the women are total psychos. I like Holly and Jessica though. Jesse is kind of arrogant, but still better than most of the women.
Old 09-10-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VHS?
Chloe has leaked boobie pics
Thanks. Those were beautiful.

Originally Posted by VHS?
and she is also dating the most irritating fanboy in the world ...

I know he and his show exist but I have never watched either so I'm indifferent towards that. Can't be any worse than when Selena Gomez was dating Justin Bieber. Never before had I started to find a woman less attractive due to whom she was dating. But Bieber is just that kind of poison.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.