Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Peeve: Breaking Bad House

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Peeve: Breaking Bad House

Ok sill thread but wondering if it bothers anyone else. The inside of the White residence does not match the outside. There is no garage entry to where the garage would be and the there are two bedrooms where the garage would be. I always thought it was at the end of the hall before the master bedroom but in the final episode of season three they do the flashback and it just does not match. Anyone else ever notice this?
Old 08-20-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Peeve: Breaking Bad House

99% of tv houses don't match their interiors.

My question would be why do so many tv houses have double staircases? Is this really common somewhere in the country?
Old 08-20-13, 02:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I remember first thinking this when watching The Brady Bunch many years ago. It's true that the carpet never quite matches the curtains in TV houses.
Old 08-20-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

If anyone could Break Bad as well as Bryan Cranston, it's Hugh Laurie.

Wait, that is what this thread is about right?
Old 08-20-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
My question would be why do so many tv houses have double staircases? Is this really common somewhere in the country?
It's so they could have multiple entry points for characters.

I've seen it in real houses before but only in really nice ones.
Old 08-20-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Speaking of 3 camera sitcoms: Why do a lot of sitcom doors swing back and forth like they're in a saloon? Is it more expensive to construct doors with actual hinges?
Old 08-20-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably also a character entrance thing. Maybe it just looks better having a character walk through a door rather than have them pull the door open?
Old 08-20-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah I guess it would take extra time for blocking purposes if they had to open and close it each time and if it only opened one way. But there are other doors that don't do that (such as Sam's office in Cheers)....I need more answers!
Old 08-20-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't recall ever actually seeing a door between the kitchen and living room in a real house anyway. But I guess without a door people couldn't go to the kitchen to have loud secret conversations without the people in the living room five feet away not hearing. The thin saloon-style door makes all the difference.
Old 08-20-13, 03:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Older homes frequently had saloon-style doors separating the kitchen from (usually) the dining room. These doors have frequently been taken down over the years as open floor plans have increased in popularity. However, had it been a regular door and not a saloon-style one, it would have been difficult bringing out food from the kitchen with both hands full.

I also like how home interiors on TV shows seem to have 18-foot ceilings.
Old 08-20-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Ok sill thread but wondering if it bothers anyone else. The inside of the White residence does not match the outside. There is no garage entry to where the garage would be and the there are two bedrooms where the garage would be. I always thought it was at the end of the hall before the master bedroom but in the final episode of season three they do the flashback and it just does not match. Anyone else ever notice this?
Just really bad feng shui.
Old 08-20-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shady12
I don't recall ever actually seeing a door between the kitchen and living room in a real house anyway. But I guess without a door people couldn't go to the kitchen to have loud secret conversations without the people in the living room five feet away not hearing. The thin saloon-style door makes all the difference.
Shows that take place in apartments are the worst at this. Characters from Friends, for example, would have a very loud conversation in the kitchen while someone 5 feet away in the living room can't hear anything.
Old 08-20-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I also like how home interiors on TV shows seem to have 18-foot ceilings.
I actually noticed the ceiling in Breaking Bad earlier today. The baby's room has a normal height ceiling. I don't ever recall seeing a ceiling in any show before.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
It's so they could have multiple entry points for characters.
Ahh, makes sense. Been watching Full House lately so it got me thinking. Cosby show also had a double and it seemed like architecturally they would run into each other on the second floor. The one in the kitchen angled to the right, the one in the family room-to the left.
Old 08-20-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

From the look of the house from above, it appears the bedrooms are at the back of the house, and the garage is in front. There must be a door somewhere in the hallway between the bedrooms or something. Or, there is no door that leads to the garage from inside the house. Wouldn't be completely unheard of.

http://wikimapia.org/13431540/Breaki...er-White-house
Old 08-20-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Ahh, makes sense. Been watching Full House lately so it got me thinking. Cosby show also had a double and it seemed like architecturally they would run into each other on the second floor. The one in the kitchen angled to the right, the one in the family room-to the left.
It's been awhile since I've seen Full House but I think the kitchen staircase leads directly to a hallway where the bedrooms are. That's impossible since it would actually lead to the end of the house and you would need to turn to get to a hallway. Also I think the staircase in the living room led to a hallway that overlooked the living room. That would make the actual bedrooms all bunched up over the kitchen.

These shows must have driven architects crazy.
Old 08-21-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Speaking of 3 camera sitcoms: Why do a lot of sitcom doors swing back and forth like they're in a saloon? Is it more expensive to construct doors with actual hinges?
I remember watching a commentary on Three's Company a while back and they stated they purposefully put a swinging door between the kitchen and living room because of the comedic value it added to the show, as it had a lot of physical comedy. Watch a few episodes and you can see how they used the swinging time and again as part of the jokes.

Of course, having a door of any kind helped when they had secret conversations between characters that developed into misunderstandings.
Old 08-21-13, 03:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one could come through a door quite like Cosmo Kramer...
Old 08-21-13, 04:03 PM

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,128 Posts

"Uh, yeah, well, whenever you notice something like that... a wizard did it!"
Old 08-23-13, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Shady12
I don't recall ever actually seeing a door between the kitchen and living room in a real house anyway.
My house did but I removed it
Old 08-23-13, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never been able to figure out the layout of WKRP's offices.

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I remember watching a commentary on Three's Company a while back and they stated they purposefully put a swinging door between the kitchen and living room because of the comedic value it added to the show, as it had a lot of physical comedy. Watch a few episodes and you can see how they used the swinging time and again as part of the jokes.

Of course, having a door of any kind helped when they had secret conversations between characters that developed into misunderstandings.
Misunderstandings on Three's Company? Please cite a specific episode, or I'm calling bullshit.
Old 08-24-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

In trying to look up a floor plan for the Walter White house, I see that there's a lot of floor plans out there for fictional houses, but I can't find one for Breaking Bad.

Some floor plans:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/stacylambe/1...tvs-best-homes
http://www.fantasyfloorplans.com/Biography.html
http://nikneuk.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://www.markmooregallery.com/arti...bennett/works/
Old 08-24-13, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel
From the look of the house from above, it appears the bedrooms are at the back of the house, and the garage is in front. There must be a door somewhere in the hallway between the bedrooms or something. Or, there is no door that leads to the garage from inside the house. Wouldn't be completely unheard of.

http://wikimapia.org/13431540/Breaki...er-White-house
Actually they had a flashback where they toured the house before buying it, and there was no door to the garage and in fact the first bedroom is where the garage would be. Just seems they could have made a set(s) that aligns.
Old 08-25-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Actually they had a flashback where they toured the house before buying it, and there was no door to the garage and in fact the first bedroom is where the garage would be. Just seems they could have made a set(s) that aligns.
Do they actually have a garage? They seem to park their cars in the driveway. Maybe the first bedroom is a conversion?
Old 08-25-13, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Do they actually have a garage? They seem to park their cars in the driveway. Maybe the first bedroom is a conversion?
Has a garage door and bedrooms have windows that would be blocked by it.
Old 08-25-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
If anyone could Break Bad as well as Bryan Cranston, it's Hugh Laurie.
OMG. They take place in the same universe.

*head explodes*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.