Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Hell on Wheels -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Big Bad Wolf/Eminent Domain" -- 8/10/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hell on Wheels -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Big Bad Wolf/Eminent Domain" -- 8/10/13

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Synopsis:

In the Season 3 opener, Cullen and Elam travel to New York to secure their positions on the railroad. Meanwhile, Durant fights for his legacy from prison.

In Hour 2, Cullen is forced to make a difficult decision; a reporter arrives in Hell on Wheels; and Elam has trouble with his new boss.

Episodes 1 and 2 of 10

Yes, this is correct, Hell on Wheels is premiering Saturday night with a 2 hour episode.

Season 3 Preview

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-zY4CY6lEzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-09-13, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Hell on Wheels -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Big Bad Wolf/Eminent Domain" -- 8/10

I enjoyed the first season but need to finish Season 2 on Netflix. I'm looking forward to it, although I believe the series creators left the show and there are new showrunners this season, right? Hopefully AMC can muster decent ratings for it since Saturday nights are dead anyway.
Old 08-09-13, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Hell on Wheels -- 2 Hour Season Premiere -- "Big Bad Wolf/Eminent Domain" -- 8/10

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I enjoyed the first season but need to finish Season 2 on Netflix. I'm looking forward to it, although I believe the series creators left the show and there are new showrunners this season, right? Hopefully AMC can muster decent ratings for it since Saturday nights are dead anyway.
Yes, the creators left the show. The new showrunner is John Wirth, who used to work on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Here's a Q&A with him and what his plans are for this season

http://blogs.amctv.com/hell-on-wheel...tive-producer/

Season 2 is on Netflix, but there is also an all-day Marathon on AMC starting Saturday morning. If you don't have Netflix and missed some episodes, tomorrow is your chance to record them.
Old 08-10-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I'm still not keen with how certain plotlines ended in season 2 but I am intrigued by the setup for this season.
Old 08-10-13, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant wait!
Old 08-10-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I was so irritated with how they ended season 2 that it's difficult to really want more. I'll give it a shot I guess. I'll miss Dominique McElligott though.
Old 08-10-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I have 5 episodes to finish from last season. Bought the BD when it came out a few weeks ago.

If I can get done in time, hopefully I'll be able to watch week 2 right away.
Old 08-10-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Well the season started well with these two episodes. I was surprised how little I missed any of the characters absent from Part 1. I also like that Elam and Cullen are behaving more like two rowdy brothers. Sad about the Sherriff. He seemed like a genuinely nice (if a bit odd) guy. His demise was rather bitter-sweet in that he at least got to see one last good thing (Elam's daughter) before he died.

Speaking of daughters, the blonde Mormon daughter that Bohannon tried to nail was really cute. Her brother screwing things up pissed me off. And I felt really sorry for her other brother dying because of their asshole father.
Old 08-10-13, 11:42 PM
Banned

This was relegated to Saturdays?

Seems like they know this'll be the last season.
Old 08-11-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was not sure how this season was going to look. With the exception of the opening (almost a dream sequence), I found the episodes very enjoyable. Looking forward to how things will work, especially now that Cullen is fighting Durant.

I'm wondering about the Swede? Is the new big guy related to the Swede?

Hope this time experiment actually pays off for AMC. I would hate for the western to leave the tv landscape again.

Good luck Mr. Bohannon.

Doug
Old 08-12-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, ratings were apparently up. 2.5m viewers watched. Double what AMC usually gets on Saturday.

Maybe this Saturday experiment will work.
Old 08-13-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, ratings were apparently up. 2.5m viewers watched. Double what AMC usually gets on Saturday.

Maybe this Saturday experiment will work.
What makes the numbers look even better is that Low Winter Sun debuted with 2.5 million viewers with a much stronger lead in on Sunday. Sure, there's FAR more competition on Sundays, but still.
Old 08-17-13, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk God

After finishing the last 5 episodes from season 2 on Netflix last week (watched them during downtime at work), I was finally able to watch the 2 hour premiere tonight that I recorded last Saturday.

Pretty good start. The show has really changed focus. The show started out as a tale of vengeance for Bohannon, but that's essentially been thrown out.

Now it's all about Bohannon working to try to get the railroad built and fighting off Indians and corruption. And that's fine with me. It's become more of a historical western.

It was good to see him back with Elam. I liked his sarcasm when he was purchasing Elam a new suit.

That final scene where the son was being hanged was a tough watch.
Old 08-17-13, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm going to miss Dominique McElligott

Really pretty and she had good chemistry with Anson Mount.

Her death scene in the finale was a tough watch. Sucks that Bohannon didn't get to fuck up The Swede.
Old 08-17-13, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Hopefully this show now knows what it wants to be when it grows up. S1 was about revenge, S2 played like a tragedy that could have ended the series. S3 is Bohannon in charge?

And as a sidenote to the writes -- we get it, you want Elam in the forefront... but do you always have to kill everyone who stands in his way so he can get to the top? I liked the Railroad Sherrif... but they go and kill himi off in 5 minutes so Elam can take that role and have the "dangerous job his wife hates". So predictable.
Old 08-17-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Hopefully this show now knows what it wants to be when it grows up. S1 was about revenge, S2 played like a tragedy that could have ended the series. S3 is Bohannon in charge?

And as a sidenote to the writes -- we get it, you want Elam in the forefront... but do you always have to kill everyone who stands in his way so he can get to the top? I liked the Railroad Sherrif... but they go and kill himi off in 5 minutes so Elam can take that role and have the "dangerous job his wife hates". So predictable.
It was very predictable that Elam's new boss was not going to be on the show for long. When they made the sheriff a walking caricature and cast a nobody in the role, I knew he was not going to make it past a couple of episodes.
Old 08-23-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched this last night and thought it was a good start. I thought this show got better as it went along and they are kind of re-booting it and I like the direction it's going. I don't miss the British chick at all.