Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gotham (FOX): S: Ben McKenzie as Jim Gordon -- Coming this Fall

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 11:18 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Gotham (FOX): S: Ben McKenzie as Jim Gordon -- Coming this Fall

I kind of like the idea... but can they try any harder to be like Marvel?

http://www.thinkmcflythink.com/telev...n-the-sh.html/
Even though Warner Bros is moving on from the Nolanverse on the big screen, that hasn't stopped them from finding a way to continue it on the small screen.

The studio is prepared to hire a writer to tackle a Gotham PD inspired television show that would essentially take place between the aftermath of The Dark Knight and before the return of Batman in The Dark Knight Rises. The story would involve the pressure on Gotham's finest to take control of the city during Batman's hiatus from crime fighting.

Not much is known about the project but Jonah Nolan is said to be playing a role similar to what Marc Guggenheim is owning on Arrow and Greg Berlanti is set to do on Flash. There is no word on what network the show could possibly be featured on but logic would indicate that CW would be a likely destination.

You wonder if the Ed Brubaker/Greg Rucka Eisner and Harvey award winning series Gotham Central could used as inspiration for the tv show. "The series pitted the detectives of Gotham City’s Special Crimes Unit against the city's greatest villains — in the shadow of Batman himself."
Old 08-07-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Warner Bros. is working on a Gotham PD inspired television series set in "Nolanve

It seems kind of weird to reboot Batman on the big screen but continue with the Nolanverse on the small screen. A lot of us have wanted a live-action Batman series for a while, but I think it'd be cooler to actually revolve around Batman, have him fight minor villains that would never make it to the big screen, and feature season-long story lines that could flesh out some of the famous comics.
Old 08-07-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Warner Bros. is working on a Gotham PD inspired television series set in "Nolanve

Gotham Central was great. The relationships between the cops was well done and it really made Batman seem like a mythical, mysterious person, since the cops would speak in hushed tones about him, and he rarely showed up in the stories, but when he did, he would take care of business and promptly leave.

But I don't think setting it in Nolan's world is the best course.
Old 08-07-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It seems kind of weird to reboot Batman on the big screen but continue with the Nolanverse on the small screen. A lot of us have wanted a live-action Batman series for a while, but I think it'd be cooler to actually revolve around Batman, have him fight minor villains that would never make it to the big screen, and feature season-long story lines that could flesh out some of the famous comics.
Sounds much more expensive then GCPD Blue.
Old 08-07-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Sounds much more expensive then GCPD Blue.
Batman is a cash cow, you spend a little more money and actually feature Batman and occasionally popular characters like the Joker, you're going to get better ratings and make a lot more money through DVD/Blu sales.
Old 08-07-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesn't seem very interesting, since SHIELD can show case agents and other heroes. I don't know how appealing the Gotham PD alone would be without having a steady stream of super villains and other heroes.
Old 08-07-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Thing is, they can show the Nolanverse Batman without ever having him talk or reveal he is Bruce Wayne. Though, for some reason, I'd rather see this from the crime families' POV.
Old 08-07-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Batman is a cash cow, you spend a little more money and actually feature Batman and occasionally popular characters like the Joker, you're going to get better ratings and make a lot more money through DVD/Blu sales.
But the show ISN'T going to be about batman, its going to be about Gotham City, and that just sounds like a generic cop show
Old 08-07-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Me007gold
But the show ISN'T going to be about batman, its going to be about Gotham City, and that just sounds like a generic cop show
Yeah... I got that. I'm just saying it's not what people want to see, and a show about Batman would be much more successful.
Old 08-07-13, 01:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a miniseries about the months they're stuck underground in TDKR?
Old 08-07-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It is another generic cop show trying to lure in 18 to 34 year-olds, with the promise of seeing glimpses of Batman and supervillains. Procedural shows have their poorest ratings amongst the younger viewing demos.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 08-07-13 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-07-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Wake me up when the Pilot is actually greenlit and actors are cast. Otherwise, this is just rumor.
Old 08-07-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wake me up when the Pilot is actually greenlit and actors are cast. Otherwise, this is just rumor.
Yep, I don't see this ever being actually produced.
Old 08-07-13, 02:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The last time somebody tried a show in the Batman universe sans Batman it bombed horribly.
Old 08-07-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

They produced WW and Aquaman pilots. This has a shot.

Speaking of did that WW pilot ever hit the net?
Old 08-07-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

The one produced by David E. Kelly that NBC passed on? Yes I believe it did.
Old 08-07-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Don't we already have this in the show Person of Interest?
Old 08-09-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

it must have, sfdebris reviewed it
http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated...part-1-6540116
Old 08-10-13, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd watch GCPD: SVU.
Old 08-10-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Wasn't a Gotham Central series rumored a long time ago but nothing ever came of it? I would honestly be down for something like that as opposed to this. I love the Nolan films but I think trying to tie this series in with them won't work out that well. Especially since they wouldn't really be able to show Batman much since supposedly during the eight years that took place between The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises he was inactive and Bruce was a recluse. They could show some of the villains I guess and maybe introduce a couple of the lower level street villains but I dunno. Without Batman once in a while I don't think people would tune in. They'd have to get someone to be Gordon and make him the lead. Finding someone who would do justice to Oldman's take on the character would be a bitch though.

If it would be loosely based on Gotham Central instead however, it has potential to be great as that's one of the better Bat titles to be released. The comic also didn't feature Batman prominently and he only showed up every now and again in small parts. If they did something like that with this it could be cool. The only thing is I think they'd have to use some of the more street level villains to get people to tune in/differentiate it from other cop shows.

Originally Posted by Groucho
The last time somebody tried a show in the Batman universe sans Batman it bombed horribly.
Which is too bad actually because Birds of Prey wasn't all that bad from what I remember. It wasn't the greatest show ever but I think if it had gone on a bit longer it could have been better.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-10-13 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-10-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Don't we already have this in the show Person of Interest?
I was thinking the same thing. It's obviously the same computer from TDK.
Old 08-10-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Wasn't a Gotham Central series rumored a long time ago but nothing ever came of it? I would honestly be down for something like that as opposed to this. I love the Nolan films but I think trying to tie this series in with them won't work out that well. Especially since they wouldn't really be able to show Batman much since supposedly during the eight years that took place between The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises he was inactive and Bruce was a recluse. They could show some of the villains I guess and maybe introduce a couple of the lower level street villains but I dunno. Without Batman once in a while I don't think people would tune in. They'd have to get someone to be Gordon and make him the lead. Finding someone who would do justice to Oldman's take on the character would be a bitch though.

If it would be loosely based on Gotham Central instead however, it has potential to be great as that's one of the better Bat titles to be released. The comic also didn't feature Batman prominently and he only showed up every now and again in small parts. If they did something like that with this it could be cool. The only thing is I think they'd have to use some of the more street level villains to get people to tune in/differentiate it from other cop shows.

Which is too bad actually because Birds of Prey wasn't all that bad from what I remember. It wasn't the greatest show ever but I think if it had gone on a bit longer it could have been better.
No, it really, really was. The show tried to hard to copy Smallville that they didn't bother to figure out why Smallville was popular and what would or wouldn't work in the Batman world. One of the biggest eye groaners being the reason they gave Huntress for not wearing a disguise when she goes all vigilante. The reason being that masks make her eye makeup run and get in her eyes. Dana Meyer was the only good part about that show and unfortunately she was wasted.
Old 08-10-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If you're going to pitch a show about Gotham, why not one set in the POST Dark Knight Rises universe? You can hire someone new to play Blake, and concentrate on how he works his way up into becoming the new Batman - much like Smallville, he can avoid the suit until the final episode.
Old 08-10-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

According to Batman-on-Film:

I can tell you all unequivocally that there is NO plans for a Batman/Gotham PD television show that is set in the Nolanverse between THE DARK KNIGHT and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES and show-run by Jonathan Nolan. That rumor is 100% false and you can take it to the bank. How do I know for sure? Because I asked the folks who would know and/or be involved and they told me "BS."
Take it for what you will.
Old 08-10-13, 11:20 PM
Banned

It was a ridiculous rumor from the Get-go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.