Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter -- "A Little Reflection" -- 8/04/13

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter -- "A Little Reflection" -- 8/04/13

Dragon Tattoo is right for a change. The objectionable statement was this whole nonsense "we know Dexter would BLANK" comment. It's simultaneously arrogant and naive. For starters there's a pretty obvious conflict there. Even a novice writer would see the inherent conflict and potential in having a character with an escape plan and situations that might complicate his ability to implement that plan. Secondly, that conflict has been demonstrably addressed in the show. Dexter also attempted to flee before Rita's funeral.

If anything it's been established from pretty early on in the series that Dexter's many dependencies would prevent him from fleeing. Maybe he'll flee as some kind of end-of-series endgame, maybe not. Only the writers "know" what a character will do or won't do.
Old 08-07-13, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
So the fact that he has it, was heading to the airport, yet changed his mind at the last minute, that tells you that he wouldn't run? No wonder people just ignore you on here.
The airport scene was in the premiere, and not only was it a misdirection (we were made to think he was fleeing when he was really just going to kill that gangster). Did you actually watch last season's finale? There was no bag in that scene. He pondered fleeing, discussed it with Harry, and decided that killing LaGuerta was his only option, because he could not leave Deb or Harrison behind.

It's pointless arguing with someone who doesn't even know what he's talking about and gets entire episodes mixed up. It might be better for you to ignore me and pretend that you know what you're talking about.
Old 08-07-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

I know when I want misdirection, I would write the character to take a bag full of cash with multiple passports. Of course he's not going to actually run in those episodes because it's not the end of the season or show. But to say the character "won't run" is absurd when he's shown, on several occasions, he has considered doing so.
Old 08-07-13, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
But to say the character "won't run" is absurd when he's shown, on several occasions, he has considered doing so.
It's a bit less absurd when the 7th season finale ends with that same character, who has pondered running many times before, deciding (and actually stating outloud) that he could never actually run now.
Old 08-07-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does Dexter keep saying that anyone who kills an innocent deserves to die, when he himself has intentionally killed innocents, including intending to murder LaGuerta himself. LaGuerta may have been annoying, but she was not a murderer and didn't deserve to die. In fact, all she was doing was being an excellent detective by figuring him out. Why doesn't Dexter kill himself or Deb?

I'm wondering... if they teach the kid Harry's code, will the kid (rightly) decide that Dexter deserves to be on the table and thus ends the series (and sets himself up for a spinoff as the new Dexter)?
Old 08-07-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Do you people even watch the show? They brought this up last season. I know about the bag because I actually do watch the show and pay attention. Do you even remember the scene in LaGuerta's apartment when Harry, who is for all intents and purposes Dexter's conscience, and him had the discussion that even though he'd always prepared for this, now that he actually has a family he won't be able to go through with it, which is why he decides to kill LaGuerta in the first place, even though it goes against his code.

It was a pretty fucking important scene. I'm not "acting as if I know everything." I'm informing you of facts that were stated in the goddamned show.
I think that the implication there is not that Dexter would never run, but, that in this situation, he would, given a choice between killing LaGuerta and going on the lam, kill LaGuerta.

Another factor here is that LaGuerta had evidence that Deb was involved in Travis' murder -- at the very least, its cover-up, so even if he took off he would have left her in legal jeopardy.
Old 08-07-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
How does Dexter keep saying that anyone who kills an innocent deserves to die, when he himself has intentionally killed innocents, including intending to murder LaGuerta himself.
Compartmentalization.
Old 08-08-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

How does Dexter keep saying that anyone who kills an innocent deserves to die, when he himself has intentionally killed innocents, including intending to murder LaGuerta himself.
That is solved by the show's golden rule:

Everything from previous seasons is magically forgotten about by everybody until it's brought up again.
Old 08-08-13, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

How does Dexter keep saying that anyone who kills an innocent deserves to die, when he himself has intentionally killed innocents, including intending to murder LaGuerta himself. LaGuerta may have been annoying, but she was not a murderer and didn't deserve to die. In fact, all she was doing was being an excellent detective by figuring him out. Why doesn't Dexter kill himself or Deb?
Self-preservation is a higher priority than the code.
Old 08-08-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Self-preservation is a higher priority than the code.
It's not even self-preservation. He has killed innocents before when he's lashed out. I don't remember the episode or season, but I recall him killing someone in a boat house not long ago, with an anchor I believe. I also recall he accidentally killed someone he incorrectly suspected.
Old 08-08-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
It's not even self-preservation. He has killed innocents before when he's lashed out. I don't remember the episode or season, but I recall him killing someone in a boat house not long ago, with an anchor I believe. I also recall he accidentally killed someone he incorrectly suspected.
I know. It was the first episode of season 5, I believe, right after Rita's death. I was just referring to the "Laguerta is an innocent" comment. The code has been abandoned as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure why the writer's felt the need to try and reestablish it.
Old 08-08-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Well the first rule of the code is 'Don't Get Caught' not 'Don't Kill Innocents', so killing Laguerta did fit the code.

IIRC he's killed two other innocents. The boat house with the anchor in a fit of rage, which used to show how Rita's death had effected him. And the photographer who didn't kill anyone and that was to show that Dexter had lost a step in vetting his victims.

I don't think the code has been abandoned by any of those murders. Instead they were blips on the radars that show that Dexter isn't the perfect killer but is prone to mistakes.