Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrested Development Season 5 news

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Arrested Development Season 5 news

One season of "Arrested Development" on Netflix seemed like a dream come true. But could there be another one to follow? Brian Grazer says the show is in talks with Netflix to make Season 5 a reality.

Grazer broke the news about Netflix in an interview with Bloomberg Television on Thursday (July 11). "We are in conversations with them to do another [season]," the "Arrested Development" executive producer said. "They are interested in doing that."

Originally, the idea was to have only the one, 15-episode season of "Arrested Development" on Netflix. Since the show's successful release this spring, however, the idea of more episodes has come up. "If the talent were willing to do more and interested in that, I'm sure we would be willing," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in May.

After the was canceled at the end of its original three-season run in 2006, "Arrested Development" fans kept agitating for another season -- or at least a movie to bring the highly dysfunctional Bluths back to the screen. TV networks never seemed to get interested, but Netflix took the gamble. The online video service put "Arrested Development" front-and-center in its new strategy of original series.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...n-netflix.html
Old 07-11-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Arrested Development Season 5

I really don't see a second Netflix season happening unless there was language in their contracts indicating so for Season 4. There's just way too many people involved. If it did happen, it probably wouldn't be for a few years.
Old 07-11-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

If they can keep up this model every few years, then it's a better idea that a two hour movie.
Old 07-12-13, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Since Alia Shawkat seems to have gotten less work then the rest of the cast why not a Maebe spinoff. Senoritas was by far the best non Gob episode in season 4.
Old 07-29-13, 10:34 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

More ‘Arrested Development’ Coming to Netflix; Original Format to Return

Netflix’s resurrection of the beloved but short-lived Arrested Development helped cement it’s emerging pre-eminence in original online content. The news of a new season was so over-hyped that when the entire season 4 was finally made available, some critics were underwhelmed and kind of perplexed. The show’s fourth season turned out to be a departure from what came before, with each episode focusing mainly on one character at a time and overlapping in a way that only made sense once you’d watched them all… and then re-watched them.

Despite the mixed response from a vocal minority, creator Mitch Hurwitz wanted to do a season 5. Netflix seemed interested, with CEO Reed Hastings saying it was up to the “talent.” Now we have a confirmation from Hurwitz that it’s “definitely” happening… either as a series or a movie.

Chortle reports that during a Q&A with Hurwitz and Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos at the Just For Laughs comedy festival in Montreal, Hurwitz was asked whether or not we’d be seeing another season. “Definitely,“ he stated. Then he turned to Sarandos and said, “I don’t want to get into a whole negotiation right now… but I’ve got a family to feed.”

Hurwitz went on:

“I keep thinking about it, and why don’t we do the movie version of this and then do the series, because this series kinda peaks with the story?

“I kinda go back and forth between that and a series. But here’s the most important thing, whatever we do, I want to get the cast all together and not do another anthology thing, and that’s why I keep thinking about kicking off with a special or a three-part show and then going into a series.”

Hurwitz then turned to Sarandos and asked, “Are you game for that?” Sarandos responded, “Absolutely. In any form.” While a movie had been talked about prior to season 4, it was pushed back in favor of an anthology series that could catch everyone up on the lives of the Bluths. According to Hurwitz, he would discuss the movie idea with Jeffrey Tambor, who plays Bluth family patriarch George Sr. and his twin brother Oscar:

“We would see each other and talk about it, and then it would end up in the press with him saying ‘We’re doing it!’, but we didn’t have have a deal, we [didn't] own the property – 20th Century Fox [owned] the property – and there were a lot of things to get in place.”

“And also part of it was us stalling a little bit, too, waiting to see if the right idea came to us. And I think it has. We have it basically, we have the next step.”

Netflix does not release audience values, but it’s safe to presume that no one would be publicly discussing moving forward with a new season if the show had not successfully drawn enough viewers.

The recent Emmy nominations for Arrested Development (Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series and Outstanding Musical Composition for a Series), along with fellow originals House of Cards (nine) and Hemlock Grove (two) have suddenly changed the entire idea of what “television” is, in ways that are not entirely clear just yet.

Netflix’s success in this arena will likely re-ignite cries for the company to bring back other beloved series. There have been reports that they have negotiated with the creators of the fascinating, short-lived Jericho, but nothing has come of it.

Still, we’re getting more Arrested Development, and that’s a good thing. Expect more news on the streaming front as details emerge.
Old 07-29-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm sure those Emmy nominations didn't hurt Arrested Development's chances of a return to Netflix.

I'm with the earlier poster - I'd much rather seem them do episodes every few years than a 2-hour movie which would probably disappoint (not enough time for all the cast members to shine).
Old 07-29-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't care about a movie either, just want more episodes, even if they only do them every few years.
Old 07-29-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

or do like 6-8 episodes a year, which is even shorter than most cable 13 episode runs. would require less time commitment from the cast and would satiate fans.
Old 07-29-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Excellent. And I'll far prefer the old format. The "fan edit" of season 4 that circulated online was WAY better because it worked just like the original show. I'm up for more of that from Hurwitz.
Old 07-29-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
or do like 6-8 episodes a year, which is even shorter than most cable 13 episode runs. would require less time commitment from the cast and would satiate fans.
I agree, an eight episode season every year or so would better allow them to keep up the high quality of such a tight and ultra-high density series (the way many UK shows benefit from shorter runs). The problem would likely be getting all of the talent simultaneously together that frequently.
Old 07-29-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

I'm sorry for asking, but where in that article (besides the headline) does it confirm the show is coming back to Netflix? It looks like just the same "definitely coming back in some form" quote from Hurwitz that we read about last week.
Old 07-30-13, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm sorry for asking, but where in that article (besides the headline) does it confirm the show is coming back to Netflix? It looks like just the same "definitely coming back in some form" quote from Hurwitz that we read about last week.
“I kinda go back and forth between that and a series. But here’s the most important thing, whatever we do, I want to get the cast all together and not do another anthology thing, and that’s why I keep thinking about kicking off with a special or a three-part show and then going into a series.”
Old 07-30-13, 09:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This will never happen.
Old 07-31-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
or do like 6-8 episodes a year, which is even shorter than most cable 13 episode runs.
But rather more like a season of TV in the UK.
Old 07-31-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still haven't finished season 4. Got bored with it near the end.
Old 08-01-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Can't you read? He certainly said they were definitely, without a doubt, thinking about considering getting another paycheck by contemplating talking about how much they would enjoy it if the cast would want to revisit the material in an identical, similar, or totally new format which would have the potential to be featured in a format where fans could possibly view it.

I can't wait to begin waiting!
Old 08-27-13, 04:48 PM

Mitch Hurwitz has good news for Arrested Development fans. "I'm working on the movie right now," the show's creator tells Rolling Stone. "I can't get into much more detail because I don't want to scare anybody off. I don't want to be presumptuous about it. I don't own the property outright – it's a 20th Century Fox property. But everybody seems really into it and really eager to make a movie."

The biggest challenge that Hurwitz faced when filming the fourth season last year was working around the busy schedules of the large cast. "A TV season is a six-month commitment," he says. "But I think it would be very doable to get them together for four or five weeks to make a movie."

Any sort of Arrested Development movie has yet to receive a green light, so Hurwitz is very reluctant to guess when it might see release. "I'm hoping it happens as soon as possible," he says. "But I want to be very careful about not putting out false information. I want to get a time and tell everybody when it's happening and not play with people. Right now, I'm trying to do something else for Netflix and a movie project and things. I'm always sort of superstitious about talking about this stuff before it happens. It's the best way to guarantee it doesn't happen."

Arrested Development returned as a Netflix-only show in May after being off the air for seven years. It got a ton of media attention, but some fans and critics were disappointed by the end result. "I was really aware that we were trying to do something that not only had nobody done before, but we didn't really tell anybody what were going to do," says Hurwitz. "That is, we made an eight-and-a-half-hour show. So nobody had any framework to watch it from."

The 15 new episodes largely focused on one character at a time. The same scene was often shown from many different perspectives, and jokes sometimes didn't pay off for several episodes. "By now, many people have gone through the episodes again," says Hurwitz. "They see the first episodes as the first chapters as opposed to the first episodes. People responding quickly to the first episodes was akin to reading a couple chapters of a book and saying, 'I don't like this.'"

Some of the online reaction to the new episodes was hostile, but Hurwitz steered clear of the countless reviews and recaps. "When we originally did the show there was a website called Television Without Pity," he says. "I would oftentimes go there and see reactions to the previous night's show. It was really interesting. They'd write things like, 'Now they're doing black puppets! They've ruined the show!' It doesn't matter what people like now. The first Monday after we aired on Sunday, they hated it. And then six months later, people would say, 'Why don't they do good shows like they did with [the black puppet] Franklin?' Realistically, if you're going to really try to do something different and confound expectations, you're going to lose some people and gain some people."

The reaction to the new episodes reminds Hurwitz of what Radiohead experienced in 2000. "There was a long lapse of time after they released OK Computer," he says. "And then Kid A came out and everybody was like, 'We don't like this. We don't like this.' And then later they came around to thinking it was even better than OK Computer. Also, it's difficult to make this comparison because it sounds self-aggrandizing and I don't mean it that way, but I remember when The Godfather II came out. People were like, 'What? What is this? I want to see The Godfather where they shoot people, not this thing where they talk about Cuba.'"

Plans are obviously in flux at the moment, but Hurwitz's ultimate goal is to make an Arrested Development movie and then another season of the show. "The whole thing is sort of unprecedented," he says. "It's always been its own little thing. I kind of feel like the more it stays original, the better chance it has. As soon as it goes back to trying to do exactly what it was before, you run the risk of doing a reunion show or something."
Old 08-27-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

You can read that again!
Old 08-28-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This will never happen.
After reading this last story, I'm starting to think Groucho could be right. There's a whole lot of hem-hawing going on in those words, and if season 4 doesn't more than pay for itself, I don't see more. We'll see.
Old 08-28-13, 04:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I wasn't old enough to remember when Godfather 2 came out, but I'm pretty sure it didn't get a negative reaction as described by Hurwitz. It won several Academy Awards, including Best Picture!
Old 08-28-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Maybe he's thinking of The Godfather Part III, which is now thought of as one of the 90s true classics.
Old 08-28-13, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's true. The initial negative perception is addressed in The Godfather Legacy by Harlan Lebo.

It came out at a time when sequels were never worthy of the originals, it was missing the star of the first film and it featured an unconventional structure, and it was initially seen as a disappointment.
Old 08-29-13, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Maybe he's thinking of The Godfather Part III, which is now thought of as one of the 90s true classics.
Um AND it featured the AWFUL Sophia Coppola as Mary Corleone (a last minute replacement for Winona Ryder). Great director, HORRIBLE actress. "Daddy?" (THUD)

Last edited by rfduncan; 08-29-13 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong post.
Old 08-29-13, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Um AND it featured the AWFUL Sophia Coppola as Mary Corleone (a last minute replacement for Winona Ryder). Great director, HORRIBLE actress. "Daddy?" (THUD)
I believe he was talking about Part II
Old 08-06-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Arrested Development - Season 4 - Netflix

Season five news...

(CNN) -- Get ready for more "Arrested Development."
Ted Sarandos, the chief content officer of Netflix, told USA Today that he's "positive" about another season of the Emmy-winning sitcom.

It's "just a matter of when," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/showbi...d-development/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.