Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Without DirecTV for a few weeks. Viewing options?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-25-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just moved to a new house that needs a DirecTV dish installed. Called them to arrange a time, and the local installer must be super busy because they told me they wouldn't be able to install until July 15th!! So this means missing the first few episodes of Dexter, and my wife is pissed about missing some of her shows on Bravo. Are there any good online viewing options for Showtime and Bravo? Haven't seen if Showtime has anything like HBO Go.
Old 06-25-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: Without DirecTV for a few weeks. Viewing options?

Yes

http://www.showtimeanytime.com/#/home

It's almost exactly like HBOGo and Directv supports it. Just log in with your Directv account credentials.

This is what Bravo has as far as full episodes goes.

http://www.bravotv.com/full-episodes

Bravo repeats the hell out of their shows and I believe they have shows on demand as well, so I wouldn't worry to much about them.
Old 06-26-13, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I now have DISH.... had Directv for over 10 years. My bill with Directv usually ran around $100 or more.

With DISH, my first 3 months were $61 for everything. Even after dropping all the free stuff and adding back HBO and Showtime at half-price my bill will run around $76.

DISH's OnDemand selection sucks.... but on the positive side, you can remotely watch things you have DVRed. Also, it lets you skip commercials on recorded primetime broadcast networks' shows. You can enable Primetime Anytime and it automatically records everything on ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX in primetime hours every day. You can also record 2 other cable shows during those hours.
Old 06-26-13, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Do you have an iPad? Bravo is one of the channels available for live streaming with the DirecTV iPad app (I just checked)
Old 06-26-13, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get Hulu and Netflix and cut the cord!
Old 06-26-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Enjoy life without screen clutter, commercial breaks and infomercials!
Old 06-26-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
Just moved to a new house that needs a DirecTV dish installed. Called them to arrange a time, and the local installer must be super busy because they told me they wouldn't be able to install until July 15th!! So this means missing the first few episodes of Dexter, and my wife is pissed about missing some of her shows on Bravo. Are there any good online viewing options for Showtime and Bravo? Haven't seen if Showtime has anything like HBO Go.
So I assume you have internet?

In which case yes:

Showtime Anytime is Showtime's answer to HBO Go

Hulu has Bravo shows, but they are on a 30 day delay.

DirecTV has an app for iPads and Android Tablets and phones which you may or may not qualify for at this time.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-26-13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-26-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you already have DirecTV with active receivers? Assuming you're just picking them up & taking them with you, you may be able to access DirecTV's on demand since it's coming from the internet & not the dish.

The receiver should function the same way it would it you have a heavy rainstorm or something & the dish can't get a signal. In which case both your previous recordings & on-demand still work, you just can't get live TV.

I think Bravo on demand is only SD & not sure how wide their selection is. But Dexter should show up in HD pretty quickly after it's initial airing.