TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hannibal -- Season Finale -- "SAVOUREUX" -- 6/20/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hannibal -- Season Finale -- "SAVOUREUX" -- 6/20/13

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
I guess they assumed correctly that the vast majority of viewers would call them lures.
Old 06-24-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never read any of the Hannibal novels so bear with me: were any of the episodes adaptations? Who or is any of the cast original to the TV series? I just might dive into the books but if it gives anything away from the TV series I might hold off. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
And how nice a shot is it where Hannibal's the one outside the cell at the mental hospital? That place will become his home one day.
That scene was very on the nose, but done so fucking well it was like a mini work of art. This whole finale was just so satisfying, especially because it ends in such a way that you just don't know where they can go next.

Personally I thought the whole ep was going to end up being one massive delusion, and was surprised to learn it wasn't.

It's interesting to think just how much Scully knows. It is just as easy to think she knows Hannibal is a killer as it is to think he's just attracted to them. I really like her interactions with Hannibal. Glad she's been added to the show.
Old 06-24-13, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only complaint about this show is that I'm not used to taking Scott Thompson seriously, so it is jarring when he delivers his lines straight.
Old 06-24-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I never read any of the Hannibal novels so bear with me: were any of the episodes adaptations? Who or is any of the cast original to the TV series? I just might dive into the books but if it gives anything away from the TV series I might hold off. Thanks in advance.
No, none of the episodes are adaptions.

The characters from the books are Hannibal, Will Graham, Jack Crawford, Dr. Chilton, and Freddie Lounds (who was a man in the Red Dragon novel). Everyone else is original to the television series.
Old 06-24-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

The characters from the books are Hannibal, Will Graham, Jack Crawford, Dr. Chilton, and Freddie Lounds (who was a man in the Red Dragon novel). Everyone else is original to the television series.
Also, Alana Bloom is the male Alan Bloom in Red Dragon.
Old 06-25-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show is INSANELY good on all levels- dialogue, acting, characters, aesthetics. Mads is making Hannibal his own instead of mimicking Anthony Hopkins, which would have been tasteless.

Bring back precious! ;-)
Old 06-28-13, 10:39 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

The creators of the NBC thriller "Hannibal" are probably on the same page as a lot of people in wanting to see David Bowie on television every week. Indiewire reports that executive producer Bryan Fuller has reached out to Bowie to play the role of Hannibal's uncle, Count Robert Lecter, in the upcoming season (which is set to air next year).

Count Robert Lecter was ultimately killed off in the books on which "Hannibal" is based, but Fuller told E! that, "since our timeline is a little more present, there's a little bit of J.J. Abrams-style alternate universe storytelling where he could be alive."

Production for the new season begins in August, but so far there's no word from Bowie on whether or not he'll take the role. If he doesn't, he'll leave some large, bizarre shoes for another actor to fill.
Old 06-28-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I got busy last week and thought I watched this episode (because I always watch them on Thursday) but when it wasn't on my DVR last night I realized I'd completely skipped it... and it was the season finale!

So much great stuff in this episode again. I can't believe how worried I was when Will was drawing the clock and it looked perfectly normal for him. Lecter's whole setup was just perfect. Everything makes so much sense, although I have to wonder how he could have possibly planted all that evidence on Will without his knowledge. The ear and flies I get, but the blood under his finger nails, and the scratches on his arms? It doesn't make sense unless Will was drugged or something. I think even crazy encephalitis Will would notice something like that going on around him.

Jack shooting Will was also a shock to me, although it did set up that pitch perfect ending. The team is going to have to figure out pretty quickly that Lecter is responsible, because having Will spend more than an episode in the mental hospital seems pretty boring. Anyway, I can't wait for season 2. So glad this got renewed.
Old 06-29-13, 01:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

excellent conclusion to a brilliant season. can't wait for more. the role reversal from Red Dragon was very well done as was the reveal of who Hannibal really is. very well executed. just great writing and very intriguing stories.
Old 06-30-13, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bowie as a possible cast addition?
Old 06-30-13, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, hell, yeah. I could totally see Bowie playing Mads' uncle.
Old 07-07-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

It's been a while since I read it, but apparently the Minnesota Strike killings and Garrett Hobbs are mentioned in Red Dragon. In the book Will was so disturbed by it he ended up spending time in a psychiatric ward.

Bryan Fuller indicated he was attempting to sort of fit the story into those constraints.
Old 07-07-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's been a while since I read it, but apparently the Minnesota Strike killings and Garrett Hobbs are mentioned in Red Dragon. In the book Will was so disturbed by it he ended up spending time in a psychiatric ward.

Bryan Fuller indicated he was attempting to sort of fit the story into those constraints.
Interesting. I don't remember that at all, but it's probably about twenty years since I read the novel.
Old 07-07-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's been too long since I read it for me to remember details of the book that weren't in the movie too, but I found this breakdown of the Garrett Hobbs story in Red Dragon.

"For eight months Hobbs (the "Minnesota Shrike") caused terror in Minneapolis by attacking college girls and killing them with a knife. He left a little curly piece of metal in the clothes one of the girls he attacked and this led Will Graham to investigate steamfitters and plumbers until he came across a construction job where Hobbs had left a resignation letter that Graham felt was peculiar and worth investigating.

Graham came to Hobbs's apartment house with a uniformed police officer. Hobbs saw them coming and murdered his own wife by stabbing her several times and threw her body down the stairs to delay the investigators. He then attacked his own daughter and cut her in the neck with his knife, he succeeded in cutting through her windpipe, but not her arteries before Will Graham shot him. Hobbs died sitting on the floor crying "See? See?" to his daughter.

Hobb's daughter recovered from her wounds."

Will Graham back story in Red Dragon...

"Six years ago Graham shot and killed Garrett Jacob Hobbs, the "Minnesota Shrike," ending Hobbs's eight-month reign of terror in Minneapolis (this is based on statements in the novel that Hobbs was shot in 1975, and assuming the novel is set in 1981). Graham was admitted to the psychiatric wing of Bethesda Naval Hospital soon after suffering from depression. "Graham was withdrawn and refused to eat or speak during the first weeks of his stay.""

It looks like Fuller did a pretty good job.
Old 10-01-13, 05:18 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Old 10-01-13, 06:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently got the Blu-ray of season one. I absolutely cannot wait for season two.
Old 10-01-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Hannibal was easily the best written series of 2013. I really wonder if they can duplicate that type of quality for another full season.
Old 10-01-13, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked Hannibal a lot, but I felt it was much more a triumph of production and style than writing. I don't for see them having a problem continuing that. Plus, the show still has Mads Mikkelsen in the title role.
Old 10-02-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I liked Hannibal a lot, but I felt it was much more a triumph of production and style than writing. I don't for see them having a problem continuing that. Plus, the show still has Mads Mikkelsen in the title role.
I can't disagree with that. While I think the writing was good, it was the package that surrounded it that really made the show sing.

I don't know how these deals work, but I really wish Hannibal was on Netflix. This show was on the bubble last year, so it needs to be in as many places as possible for people to discover it before season 2 starts.
Old 10-02-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Totally agree with boredsilly's post. Absolutely right. It would've done really well on Netflix.
Old 10-13-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just wrapped up season 1. Great show. Gillian Anderson is sexy as all hell in her role. I guess we can officially lay to rest that her character and Hannibal are two different people. I remember in one of the individual episode threads somebody had a theory that they were the same character. Granted, I was only midway through and thought that would of been a neat twist. The theory obviously falls apart when Jack Crawford goes to see her.

Bring on season 2!!!!
Old 10-16-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Picked this up on a blind buy and I'm shocked. This was ridiculously fantastic! Everything about it was just excellent. Can't wait til season 2
Old 10-17-13, 09:29 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

when is S2 airing?
Old 10-17-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
when is S2 airing?
Spring 2014

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.