Castle -- Season Finale -- "Watershed" -- 5/13/13

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Castle -- Season Finale -- "Watershed" -- 5/13/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

"Watershed" - In the Season Finale, an interview with a high-profile federal law enforcement agency forces Beckett to reconsider what she wants out of her job -- and out of her relationship with Castle. Meanwhile, the body of a young woman is found floating inside the water tank of a skid row flop house, but as the team investigate, they discover that her final resting place is just one of many strange things about her death, on "Castle," MONDAY, MAY 13 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Episode 24 of 24

Not that anyone should be surprised, but this was renewed for a 6th season Friday.
Old 05-15-13, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: Castle -- Season Finale -- "Watershed" -- 5/13/13

I really hope that they don't go with the cliched, "Break-up/Make-up," route next year for ratings. Break them up, send her to D.C., have them reconcile and she comes back to NYC for the 7th season.

This episode was fairly good, but it was manufactured tension between Castle and Beckett - it was manufactured drama. It just didn't feel real. It seemed forced.

And that's precisely why I don't want the break-up/make-up thing next season. It's forced and it's been done to death on a ton of other shows over the years. Focus on the actual crime solving first, and then use the charm of the couple to make the show a little different from the rest.
Old 05-15-13, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Yeah the tension here was seriously forced. Part of me just wanted to shake Beckett and say "Castle was willing to get blown up with you two episodes ago and it doesn't occur to you to at least tell him about the cool job offer? Really?" Part of me thinks Beckett taking the job would take the show in a cool new direction but I really like the supporting cast so I wouldn't want to see less of them though it was sure nice to see Kyle Secor.
Old 05-15-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any reason Beckett can't join the FBI and then be assigned to the NY office?
Old 05-15-13, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since Rick is a writer couldn't he work from DC?
Old 05-15-13, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You folks summarized the problems very well:

1. Castle sits beside her on bomb - clearly committed.
2. Castle is a writer, and his daughter is away at school - he can follow Beckett anywhere on Earth that her job takes her. The FBI does not ban their agents from having romantic relationships.
3. The tension is forced and poorly done.

Does anyone know if cliffhangers are mandated by contract? I like multi-part episodes for the depth they offer, but prefer they be driven by intelligent writing, and not span seasons.
Old 05-15-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by outlander78
2. Castle is a writer, and his daughter is away at school - he can follow Beckett anywhere on Earth that her job takes her. The FBI does not ban their agents from having romantic relationships.
The only thing IS he's allowed to "accompany" Beckett now because of his relationship to the mayor - he was using the exposure to get better behind-the-scenes insight for his writing (the Nikki Heat character). They also indicated he has a new book coming out. He would not be able to shadow her as an FBI agent as he does now.

Still I agree much of this was manufactured tension/conflict.
Old 05-15-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Beckett's job wouldn't be with the FBI: she would be working directly for the Attorney General's office (no NY office at least officially). I could see a situation where case information could be classified but I'd assume that when Secor's character did a background check on Beckett, they would have learned that she does work well with her team and they could make allowances for Castle to participate.
Old 05-15-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was the first time I was really disappionted in an episode of Castle.

Some episodes have been really standard issue, but the characters were always well written making the show entertaining and enjoyable anyway. This time they changed the characters a bit - and not for the better - and then the murder mystery was kind of blah to boot.

Bones hit this point a season or two ago, where some episodes were uninspired and just mildly diverting (and occasionally somewhat poorly written). Castle, so far, has only had the one episode where the writing really turned me off, and this was it. Either they're going to recover and regain their footing as a writing staff, or the show is going to head into it's decline. Bones has yet to come out of it's decline (this last season was very hit or miss, with the misses being kind of annoying, and just as common as the hits). I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Castle (which I've always thought was the superior show between the two - and they are similar shows).
Old 05-15-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, this show doesn't seem to want to do what works - murder mysteries peppered with great dialogue and sparkling ensemble acting. No reason to upset the apple cart if the apples are still good.
Old 05-16-13, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike7162
Yeah, this show doesn't seem to want to do what works - murder mysteries peppered with great dialogue and sparkling ensemble acting. No reason to upset the apple cart if the apples are still good.
Exactly.

They had been doing a pretty good job of not letting the Castle/Beckett relationship get in the way of what made the first four seasons work so well.

Until the last few episodes.

They need to go back to basics and use this relationship the same way they've used Castle's relationships with his mother and daughter. Just some added flavor for the episodes, but not the main course. Once the show focuses on the relationship more than the actual crime solving and great dialogue then the show will have truly started it's decline into mediocrity. I guess that already happened a little bit towards the end of the season, and then totally with Watershed - but it's not too late to right the ship and focus on what really makes the show work.
Old 05-16-13, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lisadoris
she would be working directly for the Attorney General's office (no NY office at least officially).
Except that there is, which makes the writing even lazier.
Old 05-16-13, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good to know...and that does make the writing even lazier (though I guess we shouldn't judge yet; the writers could go in that direction but somehow I doubt they will).
Old 05-16-13, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Glad I wasn't the only one to dislike this episode. It was really bad. As others have said:

1) Everyhing felt forced
2) He was going to die for her a few weeks ago
3) He can live where she goes even if he can't work for her

Also, worst proposal ever? It didn't feel genuine at all. I thought he as going to say I want more and you clearly can't give it to me so we should break up.

Now if she says yes, she'll still resent him for "making" her stay. If she takes job then she'll always feel bad for leaving him. Although even if she does take it I'm sure there will be an artificial reason for her to come back and join the force. Oh wait, they already went that route this season... :eyeroll:

It they can't improve writing and dynamic by 2-3 episodes in next year I may seriously be done with Castle. For me that's saying something since I've enjoyed it since day 1 and am a huge Fillion fan. Unfortunately much of this season felt very off, and this was the icing on a very poorly constructed season.
Old 05-16-13, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
They need to go back to basics and use this relationship the same way they've used Castle's relationships with his mother and daughter. Just some added flavor for the episodes, but not the main course.
Well said!
Old 05-16-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

It was alright. Like everyone, I think they stumbled to the finish. It was probably the least exciting finale in the show's 5 year run.

I still love all the characters, so it would have to take a major catastrophe for me to change my opinion on this show.

I do agree the whole tension between Kate and Rick about the job was so forced. And that marriage proposal was there to create artificial drama. Rick and Kate have been dating for how long? 6-7 months? Even though they have known each other for almost 5 years, of course the direction of their relationship is going to have some uncertainty. The whole thing was just rushed.
Old 05-17-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Yeah, forced ending. It's obviously being done for the sake of drama. We know she's not leaving the NYC police force and moving to DC. Interesting that they sort of put the other arc of the 3XK killer on the back burner this season.
Old 05-17-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm thinking she will be working in DC at the start of the season but be back with the NYPD by the 2nd or 3rd episode. Probably some case will have her and the cops working on the same case. She'll realize she can do more good in NY. I can see Castle being with her in DC but not allowed to follow her cases so he'll be bored. He might even commute to NYC to participate on those cases while she is off doing her Fed job.
Old 05-18-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing something with her mothers case will keep her in NY. It can't be the proposal or that would be a mistake