Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"Texaco Star Theater" will not be seen tonight, so we can bring you the following...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Texaco Star Theater" will not be seen tonight, so we can bring you the following...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

In the movie thread, the question was asked, what modern movie would you show a 1930's movie audience. I thought it might be interesting to hear what modern show you would show to a Sunday night audience in the golden age of television.

So, Uncle Milty will not be seen tonight, what are they going to watch? 24? Honey Booboo?
Old 05-10-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody should ever have to watch honey boo-boo.
Old 05-10-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: "Texaco Star Theater" will not be seen tonight, so we can bring you the following

I think most of a 1950s audience would kill themselves if they watched a Honey Boo-boo show.
Old 05-10-13, 05:38 PM

Re: "Texaco Star Theater" will not be seen tonight, so we can bring you the following

Why did I click on this?
Old 05-10-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe the contest episode of Seinfeld.
Old 05-10-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The 2-part pilot of "Lost."
Old 05-10-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Shield, Deadwood
Old 05-10-13, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Star Trek episode: The City on the Edge of Forever
Old 05-10-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

The L Word.
Old 05-10-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The Amazing Race - to give them a view of today's world

The Walking Dead - to scare the pants off them
Old 05-10-13, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Any episode of What's Happening.
Old 05-11-13, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Breaking Bad
Old 05-11-13, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Would said 1950s audiences be told to subscribe to cable before they could see shows that are currently on cable?

I'm sure a lot more of them would complain about all the junk on the screen (logos and show promos) than current audiences do, despite having less sophisticated TVs.
Old 05-11-13, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Would they be watching on the standard TVs of the time? 13" B&W?

I doubt they'd complain too much about the advertising, as it was even more prominent back in those days. Commercials were part of the show, with hosts shilling products directly quite often. Maybe they wouldn't quite understand why they'd have to see a bug, but really on those small TVs in B&W would they even notice?

That being said, I'd show them Mad Men, as a glimpse of their very near future.
Old 05-12-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

But Mad Men is on cable, not TV that can be picked up over the air, although now all broadcast TV is digital and still wouldn't come in on a TV of the past unless they had an external digital tuner.

I remember in the 90s, going into a thrift store and seeing a black-and-white console TV that looked to be from the 50s that was still working and tuned to a local station. The picture was shrunken a bit inside the screen (not sure what caused that or how it could've been fixed) but it was showing some Jerry Springer-like talk show with people yelling at each other. I sighed, thinking that stuff never would have been shown in that TV's first years of use.
Old 05-12-13, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
But Mad Men is on cable, not TV that can be picked up over the air, although now all broadcast TV is digital and still wouldn't come in on a TV of the past unless they had an external digital tuner.

I remember in the 90s, going into a thrift store and seeing a black-and-white console TV that looked to be from the 50s that was still working and tuned to a local station. The picture was shrunken a bit inside the screen (not sure what caused that or how it could've been fixed) but it was showing some Jerry Springer-like talk show with people yelling at each other. I sighed, thinking that stuff never would have been shown in that TV's first years of use.
The picture gets smaller as the set ages. That's why they had overscan - to ensure the screen would be filled even after shrinkage.

I didn't think we had to show them something on their actual sets. I just assumed the playback gear would travel through time with the film or show.
Old 05-12-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Beavis and Butt-head.