Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Following -- Season Finale -- "The Final Chapter" -- 4/29/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Why you come back for the 2nd season in 2014?
Yes, I found the show/season entertaining
35.29%
Yes, strictly for the comedy factor
5.88%
Yes, but only if it's a new story arc with no Joe Carroll
7.84%
Maybe. Depends if something better is on
13.73%
No, don't hate the show, but 1 season for me is enough.
15.69%
No, the show is awful. Glad it's over
21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

In the explosive Season One finale, Ryan (Kevin Bacon) races to stop Joe Carroll (James Purefoy) before his endgame reaches a deadly conclusion. Meanwhile, Joe leads Claire (Natalie Zea) to a special location and the ultimate showdown between good and evil takes place in the all-new "The Final Chapter" season finale episode of THE FOLLOWING airing Monday, April 29 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FOL-115) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Episode 15 of 15

It's finally over.

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2QW3R75pUUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-29-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Following -- Season Finale -- "The Final Chapter" -- 4/29/13

Right now I'm at "No, don't hate the show, but 1 season for me is enough."

We will see.
Old 04-29-13, 06:37 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Tonight is the highly anticipated season finale of Fox’s The Following and fans are waiting to see if all the major questions will be answered. Will Ryan (Kevin Bacon) save both Parker (Annie Parisse) and Claire (Natalie Zea)? Will he catch and/or kill Joe Carroll (James Purefoy)? Is Weston (Shawn Ashmore) secretly a bad guy? EW talked to The Following‘s mastermind Kevin Williamson about tonight’s can’t-miss season finale.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So what can you say about the episode, fittingly called “The Final Chapter.”
KEVIN WILLIAMSON: It really does continue Joe Carroll’s descent into madness. Basically, in the pilot, Joe said they were going to write a book together. Now he’s declared there’s going to be a rewrite and Claire is going to die. Is he going to allow an opportunity for the hero to save the leading lady? Or is it going to be a case like the pilot episode where he’s going to let Hardy discover her body or witness her death? In the finale, it really is about Joe Carroll luring Ryan to their final confrontation so that the final chapter can play out live. Can Ryan save Claire? That’s the final chapter.

EW:I still think Weston is not a good person.
KW:Why would you think that?

EW:He seems too nice! Will this finale set up a new villain?
KW:You’ll see.

EW:How will this set up season two?
KW:There’s definitely some loose threads, some unanswered questions. We do complete the final chapter. There’s a couple cliff-hangers. We’re going to set up next season. We’ll continue the story of Ryan Hardy and yes there will be a new threat in addition to the dangling threads. The story continues but in a new way. To say anymore, just ruins anything.

EW:Will there be major deaths tonight?
KW:Yes. People live, people die.

EW:Kevin Bacon told me he got emotional when he read it.
KW:It’s scary. It’s emotional. Kevin and James are just a revelation in their scenes together. Their chemistry really comes through in a big way in the finale.

EW:Is the finale bloody?
KW:No more than normal. It moves like lightning. It’s very fast paced. There are some shocking, emotional moments. There are a couple of scary moments.

I loved [finales] as a kid. Every season of Knot’s Landing had the best finales. I love finales so I really put my heart and soul into them and try to make them special because I know that’s what I want to see as a viewer.

EW:So Following viewers will appreciate this?
KW:If you’re a fan of the show, I made this episode for them. It’s a little twisty. It’s a little crazy. I’m trying to resolve it but at the same time there’s so much more of the story to come.
Old 04-29-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I sort of wonder if they won't kill off Ryan, since Kevin Bacon is a big name and probably unlikely to commit to a regular tv series. Shades of another popular show... (Of course, with Ryan, there's still the big dangling plot thread of his girlfriend that Joe sent to him. Since that hasn't been touched on a lot, and they already have enough going on going into the finale, that seems like one of those dangling plot threads that will carry over into the second season.)

I can see Emma being killed off unless they're setting up her to be the big bad of season two. Or co-bad if Joe survives.

They probably won't kill the kid, but I can see a big twist involving him. Like Joe's planted some kind of seed in him...

Deb's probably safe. People who are buried alive usually get saved.

Joe will either die, get away to cause more trouble, or get captured and cause more trouble behind bars. I thought Joe was more interesting as the incarcerated puppet master than he was after his prison escape. Maybe Joe will go back to prison, and Emma will be on the loose causing trouble with whatever followers Joe still has out there.
Old 04-29-13, 08:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

decided to watch this "live". pretty badass with Bacon shooting that fucker in the head after failing to save that FBI lady. very Sevenesque.
Old 04-29-13, 09:07 PM

What...was Bacon's speech at the end taken from viewer's comments like ours?
Old 04-29-13, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Joe issue his followers with phase shifting cloaks of invisibility that allows them to walk through walls or what? They really don't seem to have any trouble penetrating anywhere through any security. And exactly why wasn't Ryan under arrest? He did summarily execute the douchebag and even a cursory examination of the body by the Keystone FBI would reveal it. Not to mention the evidence of torture on the corpse.
Old 04-29-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Cool ending. I figured that neighbor chick would come back into play this episode. Wonder if the the remaining followers will try to get revenge next season.
Old 04-29-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, remember when Ryan had a heart problem? This show has been scattered all season. This episode sucked. Why in the hell did the FBI agents at the beginning drive back to base "45 minutes away" and then just sit there after Ryan and Iceman called it in?

Yes it was neat watching him go all loose cannon and play by his own rules, but I already have a much better written, acted, and sexier show like that called Justified. It even has a much less stupid version of Claire on it!

Anyway, I stuck with it hoping the last two would be as intriguing as the first two, but I was wrong. A terrible attempt at a cliffhanger. They should have just made it clear the two of them died too and tell us that it was all, even his own death, part of Carrol's manuscript. That would have been an ending worth talking about. This? This is just a hackneyed attempt to create suspense over a year where there is none.

I'm out for next season.
Old 04-30-13, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Wow, Crazy way to end the season. As Deftones said, it was obvious the neighbor would come back into play. Plus she had a key to Ryan's place. But, did not see her stabbing Ryan and Claire.

I enjoyed the finale. Good way to wrap up the Joe Carroll arc. I guess Emma will definitely have some kind of role next season getting revenge for Joe's death.

Great Jack Bauer like torture scene with Mike and Ryan and that follower. Gouging out that guys eye was great. That was badass when Ryan shot him in the head after Parker died.
Old 04-30-13, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who needs a knife to open up the takeout bag?

Claire's toast. If she doesn't die in the apartment she dies in the hospital.
Old 04-30-13, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Meh. The more I think about Joe's entire reasons for setting this entire plot in motion is kinda weak. Once again the FBI is portrayed as morons.

So Emma survives the season. I hope that they have someone else plotting revenge on Hardy.

Did anyone else think the acting just took a nosedive during the latter episodes? Ok, part of it might be due to the crappy writing, but still some of those scenes are cringe worthy.

I hate to bring this up but is there any chance that Joe survived the explosion?
Old 04-30-13, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I hate to bring this up but is there any chance that Joe survived the explosion?
I feel pretty confident he did. Not that I'll be back next season to find out for sure.
Old 04-30-13, 05:40 AM

Mediocre season after a fantastic start, I've had enough with this show. I must admit defending it early, but the overpowering effect from police stupidity was too much for me, I won'd be back.

They were very safe with the ending, they can bring Bacon back if they feel like it, same with Claire, they'll be able to change if they don't want them, I found this very predictable at the end when we all knew Bacon's neighbor was with Joe and her storyline hadn't been resolved. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with this show, I didn't expect much, was treated to 2 or 3 fantastic episodes right off the bad, and then it all went to hell.
Old 04-30-13, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Backlog
I feel pretty confident he did. Not that I'll be back next season to find out for sure.
LOL. Of course you'll be back because even to the biggest naysayers, this show is simply irresistible, as Robert Palmer would put it.
Old 04-30-13, 09:39 AM

Hey, remember when Ryan had a heart problem? This show has been scattered all season. This episode sucked. Why in the hell did the FBI agents at the beginning drive back to base "45 minutes away" and then just sit there after Ryan and Iceman called it in?

Yes it was neat watching him go all loose cannon and play by his own rules, but I already have a much better written, acted, and sexier show like that called Justified. It even has a much less stupid version of Claire on it!

Anyway, I stuck with it hoping the last two would be as intriguing as the first two, but I was wrong. A terrible attempt at a cliffhanger. They should have just made it clear the two of them died too and tell us that it was all, even his own death, part of Carrol's manuscript. That would have been an ending worth talking about. This? This is just a hackneyed attempt to create suspense over a year where there is none.

I'm out for next season.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-30-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Luds
Mediocre season after a fantastic start, I've had enough with this show. I must admit defending it early, but the overpowering effect from police stupidity was too much for me, I won'd be back.

They were very safe with the ending, they can bring Bacon back if they feel like it, same with Claire, they'll be able to change if they don't want them, I found this very predictable at the end when we all knew Bacon's neighbor was with Joe and her storyline hadn't been resolved. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with this show, I didn't expect much, was treated to 2 or 3 fantastic episodes right off the bad, and then it all went to hell.
Yeah, I didn't forget about the neighbor and was pretty dang sure she'd end up attacking them in his apartment. I'm probably(I know way to take a stand Shady!) done with this..what crap the show turned into.
Old 04-30-13, 12:12 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

stupid stupid ending
Old 04-30-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Now that I think about it, the body that was found is probably the man Joe stabbed to death. The coroner who ID'd the dental records as Joe's could easily be in on it.
Old 04-30-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I was thinking they were gonna dig up a decoy casket with a bomb inside. It would take out a few agents. Hardy would survive but only to have his face horribly disfigured. Maybe next season Hardy has a mental breakdown of what he did and struggles with the question of is he good or evil setting up the third season in which Hardy turns evil and starts killing.
Old 04-30-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Like a lot of shows with an interesting premise at the beginning, the first few episodes had very tight plotting and you could tell much of it had been carefully mapped out by the writers. Unfortunately the storylines started to fall apart in the second half, when it appeared the writers were flying blind on the overall direction. This is the type of story that simply works better with a definitive conclusion, and the necessity of a second season hurt the finale's momentum.

I wasn't that shocked they offed the FBI agent, though I expected it to be the guy instead of the woman in the box.
Old 04-30-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is the type of story that simply works better with a definitive conclusion, and the necessity of a second season hurt the finale's momentum.
This show was never designed or promoted as a miniseries. So saying that it was hurt without a definitive conclusion because of the 2nd season isn't a fair statement.
Old 04-30-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Well, upthread, I said that Parker would survive because they always rescue people who were buried alive at the last minute. Kind of blew that one.

Related to that, whenever someone dies in an explosion in a television show or movie, they usually survive somehow.

Though I do have to give the show some credit for not going with the cliches like having them find Parker alive at the last minute or revealing that either Parker or Weston was one of Joe's followers.
Old 04-30-13, 02:41 PM

If The Following‘s Season 1 finale left you slack-jawed with more than a few burning questions, don’t fret! TVLine was right there with you, and we tracked down the Fox drama’s executive producer Marcos Siega for some answers.

Here, one of the brains behind the series discusses whether or not Joe Carroll truly met his demise, how some dearly departed faces might pop up again next year, what a “very different” Season 2 has in store and much more.

TVLINE | Can you definitively say that Joe is dead?

I’ve been getting text messages all morning from friends and family, and some people are saying, ‘I loved it! Best episode yet. I can’t believe you killed Joe!’ And others are like, ‘You expect me to think you killed Joe?’ [Laughs] Some people believe he’s gone and some people think that we’ll figure out [a way to bring him back], but all I can say is that [creator/showrunner] Kevin Williamson knew where he wanted this thing to go. We shot a couple of different versions to protect ourselves in terms of how we were going to present it to the audience, and then after we showed it to Warner Bros. and Fox and talked about it, we put together the version that made the most sense. But how it plays out is part of the fun of doing a cliffhanger.

TVLINE | Was it always the plan to “kill” him by the end of the season?

Wow, you’re trying to trap me… [Laughs]

TVLINE | No, I just know that things can change or develop organically as you move through the season. The same thing goes for the various characters you killed off along the way.

[Laughs] With the actors who “didn’t know,” I sat down with every single actor early on — and I mean top to bottom — and told them that we know where the season is going and that I wasn’t going to tell them if or when they’re going to die, but they needed to know that in this story no one is safe. Everyone understands that a show like this has those kinds of stakes. But I do struggle with some of the things we’ve laid out. I knew from the day we cast Annie [Parisse] as Parker that she was going to meet some big demise, and that’s what changes; it evolves in terms of how and when it’s going to happen. But then I fell in love with Annie as a person and with Parker as a character and I wondered why we had to [kill her]. But you realize that it all serves the greater purpose. Parker’s death services Ryan’s Hardy’s character, and it’s part of the building blocks of who he is and who he’s going to become in Season 2… So, the short answer is yes, we knew and know where we’re going, but I can’t really tell you specifics because that’s the fun of it.

TVLINE | So, back to Joe’s “death” specifically…

All I’ll say is the way that it ended is always the way that I knew it would end.

TVLINE | Do you think this is a show that could move forward without Joe? Could this ever be a series with various Big Bads or new branches of the cult?

I give you mad props, Meg, for the creative way you’re asking me to tell you if Joe is dead or alive. [Laughs] I have full confidence in Kevin Williamson’s ability, if he chose, to write a character that is as compelling as Joe Carroll… We got people to root for Joe, right? We got you to fall in love with Joe Carroll the serial killer. So, I do think we could do it again if we needed to… But I don’t think it’s that black-and-white for us. There’s a big picture here. Kevin’s been very vocal about this being a passion project for him; he’s gone through a lot of stages and evolution about how he’s going to tell the story… But I do know that when he first sat down, he knew how three seasons could play out — and he could build beyond that. He had a solid foundation when he started.

TVLINE | You mentioned at a recent event that you shot some extra footage that you’ll be able to use in Season 2. Is that just flashback-type stuff? Or will is actually service the story?

There are some things we shot as alternates… Because it was the finale and we wouldn’t have the opportunity to go back and reshoot, we protected ourselves. And there are some things we shot that we know are absolutely essential to next season in A) answering questions, B) satisfying the audience and C) propelling the story. We have a little bit of everything in what we shot, and it was all very deliberate.

TVLINE | Given the way the finale ended, do you guys already have a place in mind for where Season 2 will pick up?

There’s a plan and framework in place, yes. Once the writers’ room starts up, that’s when things start to evolve and new ideas come out. But we’re not going in with a white board with no ideas on it.

TVLINE | Looking back at Season 1, is there anything you’re particularly proud of? And on the flip side, is there anything you maybe would have done differently?

I haven’t had that conversation with Kevin, so I can’t speak for him. But I personally was surprised at how the Jacob/Paul story evolved early on and it became my favorite storyline. I found myself really invested in these two guys and wanting to see more. I knew where we were going with it and how much of that story we were going to tell, but I kept thinking that maybe we would alter it a little bit since people were responding to it. Those are the sort of things that surprise me. I wouldn’t have predicted that early on… But at the end of the day, because Kevin has such a strong framework, it would have pulled too many strings and unraveled too many things if he’d deviated from that… Also, at the beginning of the season, I would sometimes [bring up] how we could give Ryan Hardy a bit more depth. In Episode 6, when he’s held hostage at the farmhouse, we really got to see a sassier side of him when he was bantering with the captors, and I really loved that. I kept pushing for more of that Hardy, too — and I think we will see more of that.

TVLINE | Tight-lipped as you are, I know you have a good Season 2 tease somewhere in you.

We put it all out there in terms of what we’d want the audience to be guessing: Who really died? How do you resolve it? How do you move forward if people die? What I can say about Season 2 is that it’s a very different season, but at the same time it will feel like a continuation of the story. There’s no way to tell the same story again; we can’t have the exact same moments of jeopardy, because then people will get bored and it’s predictable. The brilliance behind the series that Kevin has built is that he’s seen how these steps need to evolve. The thing that’s going to surprise people most, I hope, is that the fans will become as invested in that story as they were in this one — and even more so because now they know these characters and we’ll have to spend less time explaining backstory.
Old 04-30-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Ugh. Even a hint that Joe's somehow still alive is just stupid considering the flames and massive explosions. It only makes me roll my eyes once again, which already happened WAY too much with this series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.