Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FCC Asking If They Should Make Changes To Their Policies

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
FCC Asking If They Should Make Changes To Their Policies

Looks like the FCC is asking if they should relax some of their rules.

Do You Want Swearing And Nudity On American Network Television? One Million Moms Show You How

In Britain, we have this thing called “the watershed”. No sexual nudity or bad language on the TV before 9pm, afterwards, you’re on your own.

America seems not to have the same epiphany. Until now.

The FCC are seeking comments on whether to relax such rules. Partly because of a changing society, partly because of the bureaucracy of having millions of complaints to work though. Partly because of the actions of One Million Moms.

We now seek comment on whether the full Commission should make changes to its current broadcast indecency policies or maintain them as they are. For example, should the Commission treat isolated expletives in a manner consistent with our decision in Pacifica Foundation, Inc., Memorandum Opinion and Order, 2 FCC Rcd 2698, 2699 (1987) (“If a complaint focuses solely on the use of expletives, we believe that . . . deliberate and repetitive use in a patently offensive manner is a requisite to a finding of indecency.”)? Should the Commission instead maintain the approach to isolated expletives set forth in its decision in Complaints Against Various Broadcast Licensees Regarding Their Airing of the “Golden Globe Awards” Program, Memorandum Opinion and Order, 19 FCC Rcd 4975 (2004)? As another example, should the Commission treat isolated (non-sexual) nudity the same as or differently than isolated expletives? Commenters are invited to address these issues as well as any other aspect of the Commission’s substantive indecency policies.
The Moms are naturally outraged at this. And are asking people to contact the FCC, giving suggested wording. And showing you how.

1. Go to http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/begi...e=&filedFrom=X.
2. Enter the code “13-86″ in the “Proceeding Number” box and fill out the few remaining required fields.
3. Enter your comment in the text box provided and click “Continue.”
4. From there, review your comment and click “Confirm.”

But you may not share the view of One Million Moms. And you may have some suggested wording of your own.

The Wire went out on BBC network TV you know. Maybe one day you could get the same on NBC?

As the Moms say;

Specifically, if enacted, the new FCC policy would allow network television and local radio stations to air the f-word, the s-word and to allow programs to show frontal female nudity, even during hours when they know children will be watching and listening.
Indeed, why have all that on the television, when they can get it at home?
Bleeding Cool
Old 04-09-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
Re: FCC Asking If They Should Make Changes To Their Policies

I have no problem with nudity or swearing on broadcast television. As someone with kids, I wouldn't want them to view it, but if they somehow did, it would be on me, as a parent, for allowing it to happen. You know, because I could've turned the channel or not been watching that particular show to begin with.

Furthermore, it is a bit hypocritical to have shows like Hannibal on TV, showing people's jugulars getting cut and shot repeatedly, but if we hear a swear or some minor nudity, we should all be up in arms! As long as shows are properly labeled before they air, bring it on.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-09-13 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts

Fuck The Moms.
Old 04-09-13, 01:42 PM

Received 4,627 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Bring it on.

As many have stated time and time again... it is ridiculous the amount of violence shown on TV, but language and sex are like the plague. I wish we had what the U.K. has.
Old 04-09-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Fuck The Moms.
I believe that's how they got to be Moms
Old 04-09-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The networks would want this (privately) right? To level the playing field with cable.
Old 04-09-13, 03:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

From the South Park Movie...

Sheila Broflovski: Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty woids!
Old 04-09-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by dalbowski
The networks would want this (privately) right? To level the playing field with cable.
Yes, but they'd probably want published objective standards even before that.
Old 04-09-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I wish we had what the U.K. has.
Maybe for TV but I don't think you want their film censorship.
Old 04-09-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

What's even more hypocritical is we get men with their shirts off is okay but when a woman goes topless it's the end of the world. The argument is that a man's chest isn't sexual but I've heard many women talk about how hot a man's abs are.
Old 04-09-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I have no problem with nudity or swearing on broadcast television. As someone with kids, I wouldn't want them to view it, but if they somehow did, it would be on me, as a parent, for allowing it to happen. You know, because I could've turned the channel or not been watching that particular show to begin with.

Furthermore, it is a bit hypocritical to have shows like Hannibal on TV, showing people's jugulars getting cut and shot repeatedly, but if we hear a swear or some minor nudity, we should all be up in arms! As long as shows are properly labeled before they air, bring it on.

Great post.

It would also be the perfect time to sit one's kid down and have a talk with them about what they saw and/or heard.

I also believe the "Safe Harbor" rule is good. In radio and TV here in the U.S., if it's between the hours of 6a-10p you have to watch what you air. But between 10p-6a rule are a bit more relaxed. They can relax them more...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-09-13 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 734 Likes on 599 Posts

They have MA ratings for some TV shows like the Following, Bones etc so why not relax the rules?

Times have changed and the era of Leave it to Beaver and the Waltons is over.
Old 04-09-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,780 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Full frontal female nudity?

Fuck yeah!
Old 04-09-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Tits and Ass and a few curse words would probably liven up a few shows !
Old 04-09-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I actually submitted a response to the FCC. Seems to be a hindrance to the success of the networks that they cannot compete with free cable networks like FX, AMC and audience. Doesn't seem to be outrage at Breaking Bad which has had nudity and the f word. It is a really hypocritical policy dictated by a very small vocal minority.
Old 04-09-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If only we had some sort of device that would let parents control what their children watch.
Old 04-09-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I actually submitted a response to the FCC. Seems to be a hindrance to the success of the networks that they cannot compete with free cable networks like FX, AMC and audience. Doesn't seem to be outrage at Breaking Bad which has had nudity and the f word. It is a really hypocritical policy dictated by a very small vocal minority.
i don't recall nudity in breaking bad, but of course my memory is spotty. as for the F word, i am pretty sure they've bleeped any instance of that for broadcast (not on disc releases).
Old 04-09-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 367 Likes on 267 Posts

The networks are also at the whim of the advertisers. If some cop show is going to start hanging dong on a regular basis, many advertisers will bail.
Old 04-09-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

I remember an incident with NYPD Blue. I believe about 10 years ago, there was an episode where Charlotte Ross got out of the shower naked and you could see a side boob and her ass. Then the kid actor who played Sipowicz's son walked in and saw her naked and startled her. Some group filed a complaint with the FCC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since then I don't think we've ever seen a woman's ass on network TV. Even during the 10pm timeslot, which is supposedly okay to have more risqué content.
Old 04-09-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by troystiffler
The networks are also at the whim of the advertisers. If some cop show is going to start hanging dong on a regular basis, many advertisers will bail.
Plenty of advertisers throw money at shows on basic cable where they show more (bare ass, throwing the word shit around like it is nothing). If it's a change in the norm, they have no choice but to go with the times.
Old 04-09-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't recall nudity in breaking bad, but of course my memory is spotty. as for the F word, i am pretty sure they've bleeped any instance of that for broadcast (not on disc releases).
There are uncensored instances of 'fuck' and a couple of scenes with nudity on the BD/DVD.
Old 04-09-13, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts

if only

Apart from maintaining the broadcast spectrum, the FCC should take a hands-off approach.
Old 04-10-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 338 Likes on 257 Posts

Funny that whenever this topic comes up, very few seem to remember in the 1980s when independent stations would show R-rated movies uncensored. KTXL in Sacramento was famous for this, but stopped because of too many complaints.
Old 04-10-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah, it's shocking to think that the majority of tech-savvy message board users were just kids in the 80s.
Old 04-10-13, 01:19 PM

Received 4,627 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I'm pretty sure in the pilot when Jesse jumps out the window, there is a woman who stick her head out as well, and there was a blurred out breast. Beyond that I cant think of anything else. I'm sure there have been some asses or something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.