TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "This Sorrowful Life" -- 3/24/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "This Sorrowful Life" -- 3/24/13

Originally Posted by d2cheer
You mean in the whopping hour span we have been posting?
Whatever...most people don't see your comments on this forum anyway as they have you on ignore.
You've been posting your "money=all" bile all day and not a single other poster has agreed with you. That alone should say something. That some have even agreed with me (especially since I'm so 'hated') over you should say even more.

Do you actually know how a typical business works? Serious question.

Do you know that the object of a business is to make a profit? Serious question.

In this day and age do you really believe that Kirkman does not want to make a profit and increase readership of his comic? Serious question.

Or that he would rather be the next Calvin and Hobbes? Serious question.
Do you understand that artists are typically not businessmen? Serious question.

Kirkman is already a millionaire. If you think he gives a shit about pleasing a few Daryl fans at the possible expense of his story, you are honestly insane. That's all there is to it. You may be super wet for Daryl, but even you must understand that much.
Old 03-26-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 651 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
it is obvious that Glenn or Maggie will bite it next week.
I'm guessing Herschel actually. Given his conversation with Glenn. Whenever Herschel has a backstory chat with Carol sometime during the finale, you'll know it's coming.
Old 03-26-13, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Ease up. Michonne is no Carl. Rick was going to throw her out eventually anyway, and she was never a part of the group. It was an "easy sacrifice," in light of the people Rick cared about, vs Michonne, who was a newcomer, and not worth the fight.

If I showed up at your house, and the Governor came to you and said, "hand over Buttmunker, or else I wipe out your whole family?" You gonna stand and fight for me? I don't think so!
If you were an excellent fighter that gave me a fighting chance then hell yeah. That's the thing I really hate about what they've done to Rick. He knows the governor won't leave him alone. He even said as much. But he is still considering it?! That makes him even crazier than seeing ghost -> street clothes Lori. Everyone knows thats a bad decision yet he is still pondering it. That's what makes him so unlikeable right now. His leadership abilities have flown right out the window. It's not an easy sacrifice at all as she is easily the third best fighter they have.
Old 03-26-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I did like Glenn's way of "shopping" for a ring.
I actually thought that was quite warped and tasteless on Glen's part. It seemed so out of character that it really took me out of the episode for a little bit.
Old 03-26-13, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

19 years ago was 1994. I wonder if Rooker blew off a role in "The Shawshank Redemption?" Dumb move, if so.
I hate to say it, but I think this show's finest hour is behind them. The only high drama now is when character's die. With a premise such as this, there's only so much story to tell before you hit a wall.
Count me as another who thinks he was supposed to be Heywood. Maybe its the voice, but I could picture this.
Old 03-26-13, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by John Slider
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/qIIsm/embed"></iframe>
Old 03-26-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I actually thought that was quite warped and tasteless on Glen's part. It seemed so out of character that it really took me out of the episode for a little bit.
I was disappointed he didn't shop around a bit. I mean really, grabbing the first one he saw? That looks lazy on his part.

And how does he know it'll fit Maggie?

Sigh... Plot holes.
Old 03-26-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know about artistic integrity or small business ownership or whatever, I just flat out don't think doing Daryl spinoffs would equate to a pile of money. The Walking Dead isn't like Twilight where a shit load of Edward merchandise is going to sell to hundreds of thousands of books or t-shirts or whatever just because of the character and the audience of this show. I think the title itself is doing the selling, and the boosts that are already happening with new interest in the comic and sales of the trade paperbacks and compendiums are about as popular as they're going to get this season. I just don't see how a character like Daryl by himself garners that much more interest any more so for curious folks that have already given the comic a try, and any massive supposed popularity of his is a bit overblown.
Old 03-27-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Chalk me up as one that agrees with Dragon Tattoo.

This isn't the 90s, when comic sales were crazy. This also is not a superhero comic, where people threw wolverine and gambit into some crossovers to boost sales - adding one character now isn't going to skyrocket sales.

Not to mention the reason Daryl is great is mainly because of the ACTOR - that wouldn't translate as well in the comics.

Fyi - Rob Liefeld would totally add Daryl to his comic. That's all the artistic integrity argument support you need.

I could see a Daryl miniseries (as someone mentioned), but adding him to the main storyline would be a bad idea. There is more to art than money. Would artists love to be rich? Sure! But unless they're a sell-out, they want to be rich on THEIR terms, making the art they WANT to make. As far as I know, Kirkland did not create Daryl. Yet another reason not to add him to his body of work.
Old 03-27-13, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,071 Posts

If we're using anecdotes to justify sales, I know of at least 5 people who love the show and would never buy a comic, no matter who was in it.

The idea that "millions" will pick up a comic book because Daryl is in it...c'mon.
Old 03-27-13, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 839 Likes on 706 Posts

Daryl would definitely help sales of the comic, but the bump might be on the order of 5-10% over the current monthly sales. If anything, it would be free publicity for the comic because I imagine the addition of Daryl would provide free promotion to the comic in venues that don't normally discuss comic books. There are still some people left that don't realize The Walking Dead was originally a comic book series.
Old 03-27-13, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Daryl would definitely help sales of the comic, but the bump might be on the order of 5-10% over the current monthly sales. If anything, it would be free publicity for the comic because I imagine the addition of Daryl would provide free promotion to the comic in venues that don't normally discuss comic books. There are still some people left that don't realize The Walking Dead was originally a comic book series.
How different would that be from just running an ad campaign (or hell, really just one commercial during an episode) that said - "hey everybody! There's a Comic!"
Old 03-27-13, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 839 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
How different would that be from just running an ad campaign (or hell, really just one commercial during an episode) that said - "hey everybody! There's a Comic!"
Most people simply ignore ad campaigns. Getting the comic discussed on a show like The Talking Dead in the normal course of discussion would be infinitely more valuable to sales of the comic.
Old 03-27-13, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 256 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I'm on the fence on that one. Normally I'd agree with you, but I think the show needs their relationship to add heart to the show. The show isn't shy about killing the cast, but they would have had to play-out their purpose. I don;t think our love-birds have played out their story yet.

Carol went from a passive mouse, to a proactive survivor, she does not have much to do now that she is who she is. You can argue maybe the relationship with Daryl, but that'd honestly distract more from his story then add anything to it.

I'm guessing she dies in a heroic manner that completes her story.

Hershel doesn't have his own story. He's a moral center, but he has nowhere left to go as a character. His daughter might make it because they hinted at her having a crush on Rick and being the baby's pseudo-mom while Carl clearly has feelings for her. I'm not sure AMC really wants to play out that triangle since they stopped dropping clues episodes ago.
I still think Maggie eats a bullet in the shootout. Probably to the head. Possibly the governor is the shooter. Glen will be spared having to shoot her himself because it's a head shot, however their will be a sense of total despair when episode ends.
Old 03-27-13, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Most people simply ignore ad campaigns. Getting the comic discussed on a show like The Talking Dead in the normal course of discussion would be infinitely more valuable to sales of the comic.
I'd consider talking about the comic or doing a promo on Talking Dead part of said ad campaign. I don't regularly watch Talking Dead - I'm surprised they don't do this already.

My point above is that simply letting people know there's a comic is no different than publicity they could run if Daryl joins the comic.
Old 03-27-13, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuck the comic. save your discussions for ComicTalk. Boooring!
Old 03-27-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
You've been posting your "money=all" bile all day and not a single other poster has agreed with you.see below -oh and a couple posters didn't agree WHOO That alone should say something. That some have even agreed with me (especially since I'm so 'hated') over you should say even more.
Well now there is something we can agree on; yes you probably are one of the most reviled members here.

With the proper marketing introducing Daryl to the comics would make a great increase in sales. Marketing it to the show watchers suddenly opens a new floodgate. Getting people interested in "reading" is a good thing. You make it the must have comic to read and suddenly the comic is not just for a small cult group. Then the cool kids read it and it spreads like a virus to the rest of the world.

With the proper promotion any old crap can sell and sell well for a long time.

So Dragon just keep you focus small and narrow and help support artistic integrity for the starving artists; who my tax dollars are supporting for their little hobby.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think the sticking point is that you couldn't just plop Daryl into the existing comic storyline. It wouldn't work for the group and as posted earlier his character wouldn't be the same either.

That being said, there's no reason Kirkman couldn't do a spin-off prequel comic/mini run featuring Daryl/Merle because it would sell like hotcakes. It would be a gateway to the main comic.
That is exactly it. Market and promote it as a huge deal and the masses will follow.
Old 03-27-13, 08:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Most people would not even know where to buy the comic, Daryl or no Daryl. This isn't something that you see at the checkout line at your local mart.
Old 03-27-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Most people would not even know where to buy the comic, Daryl or no Daryl. This isn't something that you see at the checkout line at your local mart.
Come now, are we complete idiots? Every town has a bookstore, and every bookstore has a Graphic Novels section. Don't insult us.
Old 03-27-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
As much as I hate the idea of a baby in the zombiepacalypse (both as a parent and as a TV-watcher) I'd be shocked if that happened. Rick's mind would completely snap.
I disagree. He's shown very, VERY little attachment to that kid - I think he realizes that there's a fair chance it isn't his, and has disassociated himself from the baby as a result.

Actually I am an expert on statistical process analysis. I don't need to do a sample size. The TV audience alone is enough to convince me there is a nice profit to be made here. NEVER once did I say there would be a 400% increase in sales that is your number. Word of mouth will do the rest. If it increases sales and net profit even by $1.00 it is worth it any businessman will tell you that. Nice try though. He is a fool not to capitalize on the popularity of one of TV's current Icons. Again it is a matter of numbers and revenue. Clearly you have no knowledge of either.

I am not saying that I could write the story to introduce Daryl...but it could easily be done to increase readership. Which is all everyone wants including Kirkman.
There's plenty of artists/writers/etc who aren't willing to sacrifice the quality of the story for a money grab. So no, he's not a fool - he's just not defined by the dollar.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Sounds like you don't know shit about art. Most writers, and artists in general, don't give a shit about numbers. They're trying to tell a story. They leave financial bullshit to numbers guys and tools like that.

You keep talking like the only thing that should matter is including Daryl, no matter how hackneyed it may be (and it would be the epitome of selling out to the nth degree, because it would reek of financial desperation), which shows how much you actually give a shit about a story. I have no doubt that you're an "expert on statistical process analysis." You talk just like one of those guys who doesn't understand the first thing about how to tell a story while maintaining even a modicum of integrity.

Not to mention the fact that Kirkman knows he would LOSE readers (me included) if he did something so fucking sellout-like as including fucking Daryl in the comic. Would losing readers who've been there from the start offset the few-hundred rejects he'd pickup by including Daryl (people who would no doubt leave immediately once he was inevitably killed)? I doubt you're accounting for that, though.
Bingo.

Originally Posted by dino88
I'd say it's more of a guest appearance. Merle is barely in the game. BTW, the game is pretty bad. Although it was kind of cool playing it the week this particular episode aired.
Yeah, i read the review on IGN and decided to pass.
Old 03-27-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Duh ... horror film nookie = guaranteed death.
They've been going at it for a while now and they're still alive. And so are Andrea and the Governor. Come to think of it, is that all the sex we've seen ?
Old 03-27-13, 08:39 AM
Banned

With the proper marketing introducing Daryl to the comics would make a great increase in sales. Marketing it to the show watchers suddenly opens a new floodgate. Getting people interested in "reading" is a good thing. You make it the must have comic to read and suddenly the comic is not just for a small cult group. Then the cool kids read it and it spreads like a virus to the rest of the world.
Yes, yes. You love Daryl and think he would singlehandedly increase comic sales almost 400% and revitalize a dying industry. We got it. Clearly no one else agrees. Time to move on.

With the proper promotion any old crap can sell and sell well for a long time.
You should take this brilliant marketing acumen straight to Kirkman!
Old 03-27-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by argh923
I disagree. He's shown very, VERY little attachment to that kid - I think he realizes that there's a fair chance it isn't his, and has disassociated himself from the baby as a result.
It's pretty funny how Rick and Shane ended up. Neither one would have believed, and both would have laughed at the very idea, if they had been told their fates that first day we saw them together in their police cruiser, eating lunch, talking about the differences between men and women.

It's too bad that the picture Carl snagged from that bar in his hometown didn't include Shane, this way Carl could have told Judith, "This is what your mom looked like, and one of these guys here is your dad."
Old 03-27-13, 09:02 AM
Banned

It's too bad that the picture Carl snagged from that bar in his hometown didn't include Shane, this way Carl could have told Judith, "This is what your mom looked like, and one of these guys here is your dad."
Old 03-27-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by argh923
That's actually interesting, we've barely seen any time with Rick and Judith at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.